Profile for the_purkle_one > Reviews

"the_purkle_one"

A Snow Capped Romance
A Snow Capped Romance

4.0 out of 5 stars Hear me Roar !! *Roars*, 2 Jun. 2004
This review is from: A Snow Capped Romance (Audio CD)
On paper lyrically these guys are almost top of their game. In practice... it's a little different. It all seems a little too screamy for me. It's a respectable album in its content if you sit down and actually study what their saying. For instance, in the song "Kenai", the first chorus sounds like hes "trying to buy a fight" and then he's going on about missing his home ?!... Then he goes on about mountains etc etc, and maybe it's just me that's totally not understanding what theyre saying, but I'm sure I'm not the only rock fan not to have 20 / 20 hearing as it were.
All the starting riffs to each song are probably the highlight of the album : A smart simple little riff placed nicely before the song just to gently break in the audience. Sometimes the riffs do get a little repetitive, as I've noticed often they're often being played throughout the song, maybe an octave or two lower.
My favourite on the album however is deffinately "Song for the fisherman". Quite different from all the other stuff on the album... very simple, no screaming, just talking. It seems like such a personal song, and comes across well. Other than that, Bloodworks worth a listen or two.
It's not a bad album: but as far as riffs go... it's pretty average.

A Crow Left Of The Murder
A Crow Left Of The Murder
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Why Oh Why Are People Buying This ?!, 17 Feb. 2004
I love(d) Incubus. 'Morning View' and 'Make Yourself' are still clear favourites in my endless selection of CD's.
I brought 'A Crow Left Of The Murder..' after hearing 'Megalomaniac' and thinking 'this must be one of their worse songs... I'm sure the album must be better'. In my opinion, it wasn't.
It seems to me that Incubus intends to follow in the steps of so many others and 'sell out'. I'll give it to them though; they're clever in their approach. It seems that they've still semi tried to keep their old Incubus ties, whilst producing an 'easy-to-listen-to' album that anyone wanting to listen to this music just because it's the new fad, will eat for breakfast.
The riffs are simple, and since the departure of their bassist last year - the bass lines have seriously dropped in quality too.
It's just... extremely average. Maybe I expect too much off of Incubus these days, I'm not sure.
Looking back and listening to songs such as 'Privilege' and 'Drive', this album seems somewhat embarrassing.
If you have ever liked one of Incubus's songs, then you'll most probably be disappointed with this album. Although if you're just wanting to listen to it because it's the 'fad' then it's more likely to be right up you're street.
Are people still buying this only on the basis it IS produced by Incubus ??? Has to be said, I've lost a lot of respect for what they seem to have produced here.

Every Given Moment
Every Given Moment

3.0 out of 5 stars A Young, Less Distorted Spineshank In The Making ?, 17 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Every Given Moment (Audio CD)
Unfortunately, like all the music I buy, it has to be listened to loud to be fully appreciated. This, is no exception. When I first listened to the CD through, they reminded me of a young, less distorted Spineshank, and I welcome this change from the normal main stream that everyone seems obsessed with at the moment. It's a nice refreshing change, that probably needs to be recognised more than it is.
They seem to do it all on this album. They have a low, growling song, quicker rapping songs, songs that make you just wanna get up and jump like a loon, and those, soppy, yet surprisingly 'not-too-heavy-hard-core' 'I'll be your friend' songs. There is an incredible diversity, and for anyone wanting to just get into this particular area of music, this album is a perfect little taster.
Although mid-song-solos are pretty few and far between, listeners are pleasured with surprisingly smart little riffs, and semi-intelligent lyrics.
I don't believe in putting music into one genre... and I don't think you can with this particular album. They're pretty unique in what they do; I'll give them that.
It has to be said though, over all, they're incredibly soft rock compared to what I'm used to. People who have listened to heavier bands such as the Ill Nino's and Chimaira's of this world, probably would find this album a little weak. People who are more into the 'surface' bands, such as Blink, and say... The Darkness, would probably appreciate this album a little more.
On a final note - Why do all 'rock' albums at the moment seem to have a song entitled 'My Addiction'?!?! Who knows...

Coming of Age
Coming of Age
Offered by EliteDigital UK

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm Allowed To Express My True Feelings Here - Right ?!, 17 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Coming of Age (Audio CD)
Well, after purchasing Taproot and Godsmack on here, I saw that 'Other customers who brought this item also brought:' and I saw the name Breaking Point. Now... I'm always one for listening to new stuff with an open mind, in the hope of discovering that new, wonderful band that I should start to follow. Here's where I turn into Simon Cowell.
I listened to the album and... yeah. It just seemed very average. There wasn't any real material that made me want to sit up and listen to each song in depth, it just seemed way too manufactured to me.
Yeah, I've read the other reviews, and I can't seem to work out whether these people are calling is great because they genuinely like it (if you do... good on ya, it's just not my cup of tea), or whether 'Oh look, it has a guitar in it, it must be cool'. If you're the latter, shame on you !
I tried to like it - I promise! I listened to the album on repeat hoping that I'd hear something what would change my mind - alas, it didn't happen. The riffs just seemed all too similar throughout, and the lyrics seemed weak and just shoved in because it rhymed. It came to a point where one song merged into another. And yes, I took it off.
As I said, good for you if you like it - although to people who have listened to guitar Gods such as Santana and Via, and had the lyrics of bands such as Incubus and A Perfect Circle grace their ears, this album probably isn't right for you either.

Faceless
Faceless
Offered by simply-well-priced

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete 'Serenity' - Need I Say More ?!, 17 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Faceless (Audio CD)
I brought this album on the strength of hearing 'Serenity' by the group, and not knowing what to expect, I initially listened to the album with an open mind.
To me, it seemed that Serenity was only a tiny branch of what Godsmack are capable of successfully producing. There's such diversity and and different qualities to each song, you can't get bored of this too quickly. This is true, right from the adrenalin pumped 'I can take on the world' song of 'Straight Out Of Line' to the soothing sounds of the African Jungle brought to us in 'The Awakening'. There really is something for every mood in this album - hell, I even found myself humming 'I [Enter rude word here beginning with 'F']'ing Hate You' after I lost my job !
I was amazed at how quick people are to judge this band just because of this name. When I tell people that I like Godsmack, you can see their faces change and watch them step back as though I'm the anti-Christ or something ! Don't judge - just listen.
To sum it up, if you're: in the right mood / angry at someone / just need a general good mosh / Want to annoy the neighbours (It's one of those things you just HAVE to have loud) I would highly recommend this album.

Gift
Gift
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CD - Better Band !, 17 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Gift (Audio CD)
I'm one of these strange people that listens to a CD half-heartedly right through until I hear that one song that makes me sit up, and want to listen to each song individually.
With both the Taproot albums, I have found each song to be one of those 'sit up and listen' ones.
Track one, "Smile" is attractive in the fact that the lyrics themselves, are happy, cheerful ones, yet with a dark, trashing and often semi-violant guitar! The irony becomes almost beautiful.
It's one of these albums that you can just whack in the CD player, and depending on your mood, come out with several different conclusions to each song. I can honestly say it hasn't left my CD player.
I'd deffo recommend this to anyone who's even only heard one of the songs (More likely than not; "Poem"). The album progresses, and just get better and better.
Good old Taproot, never fail to impress !