Profile for Karen Gregory > Reviews

Karen Gregory

SoundMAGIC PL11 Earphones - Gunmetal
SoundMAGIC PL11 Earphones - Gunmetal

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, 26 May 2012
I hated these earphones. Not only did I find sticking these sinfully invasive devices straight in my ear an unbearable experience, they also fit very badly and kept falling out. The sound quality awful beyond words. You can choose between an annoying tinny sound, or a hollow, boring loud sound that felt incredibly uncomfortable with these things in my ear canal.
Do not buy these headphones, you will be beyond disappointed

Vicky Cristina Barcelona [DVD]
Vicky Cristina Barcelona [DVD]
Dvd ~ Penelope Cruz

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM, 31 July 2009
Apart from the cringe-worthy acting, the voiceover which makes you want to ram your head into a wall 5,000 times, the nonsensical and unrealistic script-writing, the direction (obviously done by a guinea pig. Mind you, mine could do better), the (lack of) plot and the mildly dull scenery this film is great.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2010 10:26 PM GMT

A Swift Pure Cry (Definitions)
A Swift Pure Cry (Definitions)
by Siobhan Dowd

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 May 2008
Having read the other books by her, I was keen to read this one, plus my friend thought it was amazing. I got through it quickly, partly because I wanted it to end or get better. It ended. But it didn't get better.

I feel the key problem to the story was that none of the characters were particularly likable. Shell annoyed me with her ignorance and stupidity- why didn't she get a job? run away with her siblings? And what was the appeal in that Declan Ronan?!! So the fatal issues were no likeable characters, never being able to agree with the main characters decisions and some parts were just weird... Like when she delivered the baby-What was that about?!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2010 10:07 AM BST

Newes from the Dead
Newes from the Dead
by Mary Hooper

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping but slightly horrific novel, 29 April 2008
This review is from: Newes from the Dead (Hardcover)
As a reader with a historical interest and a love for the Mary Hooper books, I was immediately drawn to this novel. I was shocked at how different it was to the other books. It has a slightly more adult content so I wouldn't reccomend it to young people like I would for some other Mary Hooper books. It is extremely well written however and impossible to put down from the start to the end- I'd got through it by the end of the day.

The story tells a worryingly true tale of a gullible house maid tricked into a terrible situation by her cruel master.
Every other chapter is in first person, where the unfortunate Anne Green explains her story and tries to think how she got into this position. This is an absolute favorite of mine.

The Red Necklace
The Red Necklace
by Sally Gardner

2.0 out of 5 stars Odd, but an interesting read, 1 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Red Necklace (Hardcover)
I wouldn't say this was a good historical account and in that respect I was quite diappointed as the cover drags you in thinking you're reading "a story of the french revolution" when actually it is a rather over dramatic story of fate . I wonder whether sally gardener was sure of her genre as it appears to be a horror story in some parts, fantasy and magic (with the magicians and gypsy's) in others with of course some romance as well- which I'm not objecting too but it seemed more odd every chapter. And the ending was exceptionally cheesy! But overall I have to say ... somehow I quite enjoyed reading it!!!