Profile for Semisport > Reviews

Content by Semisport

Semisport

Canon Canoscan 9000f Film / Photo And Document Scanner (9600x9600dpi, 48 Bit Colour Depth)
Offered by Ballicom International

4.0 out of 5 stars If anyone can......, 22 Sept. 2010
I purchased the Canon 9000f in June 2010, this item being the fourth Canon scanner I have owned over the past ten years. I run a website and my scanners have all been heavily used in order to scan documents and images which are eventually uploaded for permanent residence on the site as reference material.

The three stand out features of this scanner are:

1.) Zero warm up time. The scanner is available to use immediately it's switched on.

2.) Scan Speeds. While I haven't timed the thing with a stop watch, it's very quick! As would be expected scanning times slow down as image resolution is increased. However it is still quicker than my last Canon scanner, an 8800f.

3.) Photoshop Elements 8. The scanner comes bundled with a host of software including the latest version of Photoshop Elements (8). I had been looking to update my existing version (5) and was prepared to spend the £60+ necessary to compliment my new scanner - I was delighted to find that there was no need to do so.

All the usual film and negative mounts are also included. The seven shortcut buttons on the top panel include 4 for PDF creation but these have received little use to date, although the 'Copy' button is helpfull for those without an 'all in one' printer.

The one neagative I can think of concerns the weight and bulk of the thing. It does take up a lot of valuable desk space and it definitely could not be considered portable in any way. Perhaps the reason for the increase in weight over the 8800f is that the AC Power Adaptor is now incorporated within the body of the scanner itself and does not 'sit' between the the mains cable connection to the machine and the wall socket. Some will no doubt see this as an advantage.

The Canon 9000f appears to be well made and its black, silver and grey finish will probably match the rest of your computing equipment as these colours seem currently to be the industry norm. While its colours will please some and not others its performance should please everybody. Many of the scans I make are from 80 year old magazines and the information I am now able to retrieve from foxed and faded pages is amazing, certainly a marked improvement over the earlier Canon. The Canon 9000f receives a thumbs up from me.