Profile for Lougrahamii > Reviews

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern day Who Dunnit!, 7 Jan 2012
This is the second book I have read by Louise and it was very different indeed from the other one. You still have the very strong characters, the gorgeous Hero (a must!!) and elements of humour but whilst this is a fast paced and very easy to read, it is more than chic Lit in the traditional sense. This is a very modern-day who dunnit!.

I thought I had this wrapped up early on and how very wrong I was. Louise adds twists and turns that you don't expect. Lots of engaging characters that not until the end do you understand how they are all connected.

Caitlin has to endure so much and she really doesn't know who to trust. You feel her pain as things go wrong and long for things to turn out in the end. So much happens to her, those around her and the Hotel. This is a fine example of how having money doesn't always bring you happiness.

I really enjoyed reading this book and loved this style of story more than the pervious one I read. It has far more substance to it and had me wanting to know what happens next and unable to put it down until I finished ... what more can you ask from a book?

A 5* read. Thank you Louise for sending me a copy. I really enjoyed it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2012 6:52 PM BST

Perhaps Tomorrow
Perhaps Tomorrow
by Jean Fullerton
Price: 9.03

5.0 out of 5 stars An East End Struggle - fab read!, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: Perhaps Tomorrow (Paperback)
I met Jean at the Festival of Romance in Watford at the back-end of 2011 and I was really pleased when she asked if I would review one of her books. As anyone who follows my blogs will know, I'm a big fan of historical novels and always keen to try a new Author to me. I certainly was not disappointed with this book Perhaps Tomorrow.

Set with the back drop of the East End of London in the Regency period. To me felt there were three storylines all interwoven with each other and it not until to progress through the book you totally understand how and why. Nathaniel and his need to clear his name. Mattie to survive the loneliness and continue to keep the family business going and Amos with all his dark secrets that he has been able to hide so well.

Jean has written a fabulous book really pulling you into the dirt and hardship of this time. Her wonderful descriptive text really helps make you feel that you are in the East End of London amongst the dirt and coal dust. Mattie was a wonderful heroine. She was a great mix of compassion with those around her and struggling with what life had to throw at her but also strong enough to stand up for what she believed in and who she loved. I loved the chemistry (positive and negative!) that she had with both Nathaniel and Amos. There are lots of moments of where will the story take you next? Is it possible for there to be a happy ending or is it too late!

A wonderful 5* read and I recommend it and will certainly be reading other books by Jean.

Thank you so much Jean for letting me have a copy of Perhaps Tomorrow. I wish you lots of success with it.

Eulogy's Secret (The Huntley Trilogy Book 1)
Eulogy's Secret (The Huntley Trilogy Book 1)
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous first part of this trilogy, 18 Dec 2011
Eulogy' Secret is the first in the Huntley Trilogy written by Grace Elliot.

Suddenly Eulogy Foster finds herself on her own following the death of her beloved Guardians. With the knowledge of her birth parents she heads to London to meet her estranged brother, Lord Lucien Devlin. Never having been to the City before, she is very unprepared to what she find on her arrival there.

Thrown out and denied by her own brother, she is attacked, robbed and without the help of a stranger, god know what would have happened to next.

Maybe Jack Huntly was in the wrong place at the right time, but coming to the aid of this damsel in distress is about to change his whole life. If only he could understand what secrets Eulogy is keeping and let him in.

Falling for Jack, Eulogy needs to be certain that he loves her for who he believes she is not who she actually is.

Will Eulogy's brother acknowledge her and present her to society or is there something that her brother is trying to hide? Will Lucien Devlin stop at nothing to get Eulogy out of his life? Can Jack and Eulogy trust each other enough or will their secrets force them apart?

Set in the Regency period of England, Grace has written a fantastic historical novel (and by now everyone who reads my blog will know how much I enjoy these!) Eulogy is a very strong young lady who has to fight many battles to get to where she wants to be in life. Jack is a typical stubborn man of his time, but with a much deeper and gentle side that he desperately wants to share with Eulogy but something is always holding him back and stopping him taking that next step forward. Wonderful connection between them and also the gorgeous relationship that Eulogy develops with Mr Farrell.

Some very spicy, but perfectly written sexual tension through out which keeps you gripped on a will they won't they but also with the frightful happenings going on around them!

A great read and I certainly will be wanting to read the following two books in this trilogy.

Thank you so much Grace for sending me a copy of Eulogy's Secret i really enjoyed it!

The Star Child
The Star Child

4.0 out of 5 stars An amazing debut fanasty novel!, 11 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Star Child (Kindle Edition)
The Star Child is the debut novel for American Author Stephanie Keyes.

The realisation that his Father doesn't have time for you in his important schedule hits Kellen St James on the day of his graduation from Yale. Graduating at 17 years of age before most people would even get to University still doesn't earn his Father's pride.

Kellen decides there and then that he needs to carve out his own path in life if he is ever to find happiness. Most of his life following the sudden death of his dear Mother, Kellen has not been able to connect with either his Father or brother and only had the love and support of his Grandmother. Following her death, Kellan suddenly has the financial freedom to build a new life.

A distant memory is re-awoken when a vision of the beautiful young girl he met as a child sucks him into a place he can't explain, a place that doesn't appear to be in this world?

Can Kellen find happiness on his own without the help of his Father? Can there be more to the memories than he first thought? How far will Kellen go to protect those he loves?

Wow what a story! I will mention this again, but those that follow my blog know, "inner worlds with portal that people pass through" stories are not normally my cup of tea. My little brain can't understand what I can't physically see! However, I have to say I think Stephanie may well have helped change my views on this genre of novel!

Kellen's life seems normal on the surface for about 1/4 of the book apart from a glimpse at the start of where this will take you. Suddenly he is pulled into another world. What I loved about most of all is that the journey that he then travels, he questions the fantastic and the mysthical every step of the way and not believing what he was seeing and experiencing, I felt that was me too and we were learning these lands together, two non believers one being the boy in the story and me as the reader. The fact that he didn't just accept what was happening and questioned it made this so much more real to me! So very cleverly done!

Stephanie has created a beautifully written, wonderful page turner of a story full of magical and mythical creatures in beautiful worlds. I adored the connection that Kellen had with those that he loved and were dear to him. The actions he took, (whilst most couldn't happen on boring old earth!!), you could relate to them and understand why he took them!

This is an absolute must not only for all that love Young Adult/Fantasy/Epic, but also for people like me who wouldn't normally read them - I think I may be converted!!

Thank you so much Stephanie for sending me an advanced copy of this book, I truly loved it and wich you lots of success with The Star Child.

Reaching for the Stars
Reaching for the Stars
Price: 1.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Has the ingredients of a great novel!, 9 Dec 2011
Reaching for the Stars in the latest novel written by Author Janice Horton.

Finn McDuff had worked his whole life to be awarded his three Golden Stars, as a celebrity Chef, he was at the top of his game. Nothing was more important to him than the food he presented at the Passe. Sadly his three ex Wives could vouch for that! Ambition over love, Pride over marriage and ego over emotions - Three sins over three stars!

A sudden realisation brought Finn to his senses about what actual was important in life, the `Stars' suddenly didn't shine so bright for him any longer. Closing down his restaurant and giving up on his dreams, he disappears and sets off to try to get his life back.

Raine Sanderson and Ross Campbell are two very new and very keen journalist despite to get their hands on that dream job at The Thistle, only one can make it! Both with the same target in their sights, Chef McDuff. How far would they go to find where McDuff has gone and get that exclusive interview?

Will Finn be able to find the peace and happiness away from the celebrity life that he is so desperately looking for? Or will the past continue to haunt him? To what ends will the journalists go to get that story?

I was very excited to be receiving an advanced copy of Janice's latest novel. As a huge fan of Bagpipes and Bullshot I had high expectations for Reaching for the Stars - and I'm so thrilled to say I wasn't disappointed. Janice's style that I loved so much in the first novel continues in this book. A wonderful plot and some extremely engaging characters all bundled together in a steamy Scottish kitchen!

When I started to read the story, I thought Chef McDuff would be a horrid character. I had in my mind someone between Marco Pierre White and Gordon Ramsey but as the story developed I really started to like and understand him. Janice has written a great "will they won't they find him" plot that kept you guessing right to the final pages which I really loved. Fabulous depth to Raine and Anna's characters as well as McDuff and the whole book was so beautifully written which are all ingredients that make this the sort of book you can't put down! What move can a reader ask for!

Thank you so much Janice for sending me a copy of this book - blooming marvellous!!

His Last Duchess
His Last Duchess
by Gabrielle Kimm
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you'd want from an Historical Novel!, 5 Dec 2011
This review is from: His Last Duchess (Paperback)
His Last Duchess is the debut novel by Author Gabrielle Kimm.

At just 16 years of age, it is Lucrezia de' Medici destiny to marry the fifth Duke of Ferrara, Alfonso d'Este. Despite her rose-tinted glasses of what marriage to a Duke would be like, she couldn't be any further from the reality!

With outside pressure from Vatican to produce an Heir to be able to keep the title within his family, this is not as easy as it should be. Alfonso becomes more resentful and distant towards his Duchess and runs into the arms of his Mistress, Francesca. Unknown to Lucrezia that this is going on behind her back but his absence makes her feel more and more alone.

When Alfonso hires the talented Artist, Fra Pandolf to paint the Fresco masterpiece, could the sitting for this be the distraction she needs? Can she find happiness within the Castello grounds? Can Alfonso grow to love his Duchess or has his resentment gone too far?

What a fantastic read! Originally inspired by a Robert Browning poem, His Last Duchess. Gabrielle has written a tragic yet very passionate story full of betrayal and twisting plots. everything you'd expect from a Historical novel.

I adore this genre and certainly was not disappointed. Set in sixteenth-century Tuscany and Ferrara, packed full of historical facts that clearly Gabrielle has spent a huge amount of time researching. Great story, beautifully written with lots of "behind closed doors" activity that is very appropriate to the period of the story. Whilst it rather detailed in places, it fits perfectly within the text and not at all out-of-place. Wonderful strong characters and relationship, particular mention about the Duchess's Childhood Nurse, Giulietta and the wonderful closeness they shared. Also loved Francesca's character.

Passion, heartbreak, illicit affairs and sorrow makes this a must read - fabulous!

Tears and Laughter and Happy Ever After
Tears and Laughter and Happy Ever After
Price: 3.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly gorgeous collection of short stories, 30 Nov 2011
Tears and Laughter and Happy Ever After are a vibrant collection of short stories written by UK writers - Cally Taylor, Bernadette James, Tamsyn Murray, Jill Steeples, Jenny Maltby, Deborah Carr, Karen Clarke, Sally Quilford, Kathleen McGurl, Sarah Dunnakey, Helen Kara, Helen M Hunt and Leigh Forbes.

These ladies above have had hundreds of short stories published in magazines not only in the UK but also around the world!

Twenty six gorgeous short stories covering subjects from the highs of happiness, the depths of heartbreak and sorrow and every single emotion that happens in between.

"And, in the end, you may just find the path to happy ever after."

This truly is a beautiful collection of shorts stories that really stirred many different emotions within me as I read them. Being short stories it was my intentions to read just a couple at a time and come back to them, however in reality I read them cover to cover (well click of each page as it was via the Kindle!) in just two sittings.

The stories range from Alien Encounters, World War 2 Heroes, a Bee keeper and many more. Each one in their own way are wonderful and a fabulous examples of how even with just a few words you can capture the attention of your reader quickly. I have never really read Short Stories before but this collection really was a pleasure to read (sometimes hard too!) I thought about saying which was my favourite but have decided ... not too, if you know me well I am sure you can guess!!

It was a real privilege to read these and I am so grateful to Debs Carr and Jill Steeples for sending me a copy to review. Thank you.

Unscripted
Unscripted

4.0 out of 5 stars The troubles of Reality TV - great read!, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: Unscripted (Kindle Edition)
Giving this 3 1/2 stars!

Unscripted is jointly written book by Natalie Aaron and Marla Schwartz and their debut novel (Released by Carina Press).

Abby Edwards works as a producer on reality shows. Whilst she knows there is no such thing as true love she has to convince the contestants on the Dating Show there is such a thing.

With the support of her friends around her, she is able to tolerate hook-ups in hot tubs .. but only just!! Each of her friends think they know how they can improve her life, Zoe thinks she needs to meet a new man, Nancy wants her to find her inner goddess and Stephanie thinks she needs an attitude adjustment ... all Abby wants is to do well at work.

This would not be problem if it wasn't for new Boss, Will harper. Unfortunately 10 years ago she made a fool of herself in front of him, added to that he is super attractive just makes her fall to pieces in front of him!

"Abby's about to be reminded that life doesn't follow a script--and good things happen when you least expect it..."

Can Abby find happiness at work? are her friends suggestions helpful or cause more trouble than they are worth? Can she actually work with Will?

This is a great book with a strong plot throughout and great connections with all the friends. The leading lady is very believable and easy to like! There are elements of humour throughout this book. I found the story very easy to read (be warned there is quite a lot of swearing within it if you do offend easily - wasn't a problem for me), I did feel the ending was a very sharp and would have liked to have seen the final chapters expanded a bit more.

It is really obvious that both the Authors have worked in this field before as the detail around the television work is very precise and not something that is brushed over.

Great read and not a mushy Chick Lit book by any means! I would not class this as a traditional romance novel - whilst there is certainly some in the book it isn't the main thread of the story!

Thank you so much Marla and Natalie for sending me a copy and I wish you lots of success with it!

Secrets at City Hospital (Medical Drama Romance)
Secrets at City Hospital (Medical Drama Romance)
Price: 1.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to a Medical style novel!, 19 Nov 2011
Secrets at City Hospital is the latest novel available by Kate Allan.

First day as Registrar in the Maternity Ward at City Hospital doesn't start well for Dr Rachel Booth. Her car won't start, she ladders her tights and just when she thinks nothing else can happen (we all know things come in three's!) she spills her coffee!

No sooner does she step onto the ward and before she can even find her bearings she is thrown into an emergency.

Patrick Dempsey look-alike, Grant Mackenzie is an extremely skilled midwife who has a plan of which he isn't ready to share with his colleagues.

The last thing on either of their minds is romance, but with an instant attraction on both sides can they stop themselves?

Can Rachel get close to Grant? Will she ever find out what he is hiding? Is there room in Grant's life for Rachel?

This is my first ever medical novel I have read and all I could think about as I was about to read it was, would it be like Grey's Anatomy, and how surprised was I to find the leading Man had the looks of the very gorgeous Patrick Dempsey! The rest of the book didn't disappoint, whilst only 30k words Kate was able to pack lots into the story. A few twists and turns along the way with no medical degree needed to understand what was going on!

Fast paced, well written and very easy to read. It's a fab introduction to medical style novels. Lovely relationships between Rachel and her sister and also the mystery that unfolds around Grant.

Thanks so much Kate for sending me a copy of this book. Really enjoyed it!

Renovation, Renovation, Renovation
Renovation, Renovation, Renovation

5.0 out of 5 stars A contempory novel with a paranormal Twist!, 14 Nov 2011
Renovation, Renovation, Renovation is written by Author Nell Dixon.

Property developers Kate and Steve have bitten of more than they had expected with their latest property, Myrtle Cottage that dates back to the 17th Century.

Not only is it not the barn conversion that she thought would be their forever home that Kate had sent Steve off to get at the Auction. It is now turning into a developers nightmare with constant interruptions and disapproval to all they are doing from Mr Poole the Planning Officer but strange things are starting to happen. No longer a together as a couple, this renovation is turning into a nightmare for both Kate and Steve

Strange sightings, noises and lights appear around Kate but Steve never sees them. Scared to be in the house alone, Kate starts to explore the history of this house and seeks expert help!

Can they get the renovation completed before Kate really cracks? Will anyone believe Kate about the Paranormal activity that is occurring other than Mr Flibble the cat? Is there a reason for these strange activities?

We are introduced to the two main characters, Kate and Steve right form the start and you understand their situation and all the struggles that are facing them. There are lots of moments that you want to knock their heads together and tell them what they need to do! I couldn't help love both of them and their faults! Nell has also interwoven a number of other characters that fit perfectly and develops into a number of little story outside of the renovation of the property with Kate, her Sister Louise and their Mother.

As the story progresses you get short glimpes of what Kate thinks she see or at the very least senses and hear the thoughts of a Lady that clearly is not of this time.

I really enjoyed this book and read it cover to cover in a day. Very easy to read and it flowed really well. I would class this novel as a great contemporary fiction with a Paranormal twist element within.

Thank you so much Nell for sending me a copy of this, I really loved it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12