Profile for Lougrahamii > Reviews

By My Side
By My Side
by Alice Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 22 July 2013
This review is from: By My Side (Paperback)
I liked the sound of this book when I read the back cover. If i am honest, I was a little concerned it would be very similar to JoJo Moyes Me Before You with it being a bout someone post traffic accident. However, other than being just as captivating to read, it is very different.

Brilliantly written with lovely emotion and light elements of humour, this book has it all. a great plot, some lovely characters and pets!

What i found out after reading the book, parts of this story are true. The charities and organisations included are indeed real, which makes it even more of a wonderful read. Just knowing theer are people out there to help, was a wonderful feeling.

A truly great read that I strongly recommend.

Indiscretion
Indiscretion
by Charles Dubow

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Indiscretion (Hardcover)
When I was sent this book through, I really like the sound of the wording on the back of it and what interested me more was that it was written by a man and I felt this would be a very different point of view from the books I have read of the same subject matter before by women.

I think you will know within the first couple of chapters if this book is for you. It follows four people, Harry, Madeleine, Claire and Walter. What is slightly different about this book is that is written in a narrated type style by Walter. I wondered if I would find this a bit strange at first, but the book is so well written and gripping that I was hooked straight away.

Whilst I am sure you are not meant to love all four leads, I have to admit I did for all different reasons. I was so captivated in their lives that I read this cover to cover in a day. Full of emotion and an ended that I felt was totally perfect. It was a real pleasure to read Charles Dubow's debut novel and I certainly would read further work by him.

The Last Time I Saw You
The Last Time I Saw You
by Eleanor Moran

3.0 out of 5 stars easy read, 10 July 2013
Loved the cover to this book and thought this would be something that would be right up my street. The book was really easy to get into and made you want to know more but sadly I felt it never really took off from there. The middle and ended just were not as gripping as the start. I continued to read until the end to find out why, but I am not certain I ever really found out all the answers.

Was an easy read and you can relate to Olivia and how she feels about the death of best friend but sadly just didn't hold my attention. I am certain when I read other reviews, I will see many praises for it and I would love to hear views from anyone else that has read it.

The Perfume Collector
The Perfume Collector
by Kathleen Tessaro

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book .. Great read!, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Perfume Collector (Paperback)
The first thing that made me pick this book off my to be read pile was the cover, it just seemed so elegant and striking. I know you are not meant to judge a book by its cover, but i do (often!).

What is inside this cover is a brilliantly written engaging novel following the follows the lives of two women over two different time periods, one in the 1950's and the other back in the 1920's. Both Eva and Grace are such wonderful characters that really capture you in from their very first introduction. Neither ladies have it easy, making mistakes along the way, but you can't help but support them through those times as awell.

This book has many twists and turns and certainly Eva doesn't have an easy journey and you are not sure why until the very last chapter.

I have never read any of Kathleen Tessaro's books before but if they are anything like this, i certainly will do again. I have given this my Louise loved ...award and highly recommend it!

Secrets from the Past
Secrets from the Past
by Barbara Taylor Bradford

2.0 out of 5 stars Gentle read, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Secrets from the Past (Hardcover)
As a teenager I wasn't much of a reader and this continued well into my 20's and early 30's so there are very few books at this time that I bothered to read. What i did stumble upon was Barbara Taylor Bradford's Woman of Substance and I adored it. I was hooked and then in turn enjoyed over the years many of this Authors saga's.

When Secrets from the Past arrived at my door I was rather excited and couldn't wait to start it. Unfortunately, this book just didn't hold my attention. As you would expect from the author, the book is extremely well written and obviously well researched, but i just couldn't warm to the characters and just wasn't bothered if things turned out good or bad. I felt the storyline was a bit bland and obvious.

My recommendation if you have never read a book by this author is to Start with either the Emma Harte Saga's or The Ravenscar Trilogy as they really show how brilliant this Author can be. having said that, i am certain that many will have loved this book, it just wasn't for me this time.

Dance the Moon Down
Dance the Moon Down

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous WW1 love story, 13 Jun. 2013
I was approached to review this book and told it wasn't your normal WW1 war story, this was a love story. This in its self made me want to read it.

What R.L.Bartram has written is truly a beautiful, heartfelt account of one ladies WW1 experience. It is so detailed and gripping that you are transported to that time and can smell, feel what is going on around. Victoria and Gerald have everything they could possibly want, each other and are blissfully happy until war breaks out. Gerald does what every decent man would do and enlists. Within such a short period of time, he goes missing and Victoria can't let go, the love she had for him just won't allow her.

This really is a wonderful book that I couldn't put down. I think I read the 300 pages in a day. Beautifully written, packed with drama, elements of humour but wrapped up with fabulous emotion. I can't help thinking that this is actually someones true story. This really is a self published book worth reading

The Red Queen (COUSINS' WAR)
The Red Queen (COUSINS' WAR)
by Philippa Gregory

2.0 out of 5 stars Part 2 of the Cousins war, 13 Jun. 2013
Now anyone that follows my blog regularly will know what a huge passion I have for historical novels and like most people am fascinated with anything even loosely connected to the Tudor times.

I think I have read nearly all of this Authors books in past and have adored them and for some reason this series sat on my shelves just waiting to be read. With great excitement I decided to start these books. I thought that I would find half a Sunday missing whilst I was deeply engrossed in it like in previous books. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. I am not sure why not, whether it was just that I couldn't warm to Margaret Beaufort or that I felt that the story just didn't have the same pace that I have come to expect from a Philippa Gregory novel. I was left very disappointed with this book.

The author is a great story-teller and she clearly knows her facts. It is very apparent that a huge amount of reasearch has taken place before the pages reach our door, just sadly this book didn't hold my attention and keep me from wanting to put it down. I will complete the series and i am sure many that read this review will think, crumbs, I loved that book! That's the good thing about there being so many books out there, something for everyone. It would be dull if we all thought every book was a 5* read!

The River of No Return
The River of No Return
by Bee Ridgway

4.0 out of 5 stars A great debut novel, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The River of No Return (Hardcover)
First thing I want to say about this book is what a gorgeous cover it has. It really caught my eye, whilst it is simple, I just loved it.

I have to admit that I don't normally pick books that have any time travel in them at all as my little brain has trouble with anything that I can't see how it can happen! For a debut novel, this author has some really beautiful descriptive written words and the book is very cleverly put together. I don;t find myself getting confused as to where or what century I was in (I get confused very easily so I think I am a good measure!!). I did however get a little confused as to what the Guild was and with so many rules and restrictions, I thought that it would make the story difficult to follow or flow. That wasn't the case.

It was a very enjoyable story and if you like this genre I am certain you will love it. I am certain that this will be a very popular read this summer.

Don't Want To Miss A Thing
Don't Want To Miss A Thing
by Jill Mansell

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and very enjoyable to read, 23 Feb. 2013
This is the first Jill Mansell book that I have read before. I have seen very positive review of her previous books, but never quite got round to reading one myself... so many books, so little time! I am so glad that I did read this as it was a brilliantly written, easy and a very enjoyable read.

Set in a little village in the Cotsworlds and with all the benefits (and twitching curtains) that it contains. You meet a large selection of character which in their own way are very endearing and people who you want to know more about. I loved the way that everything and everyone interconnected and situations that you never saw coming sends you off course. Molly, Frankie and Lois were my favourites, Elements of humour, sorrow and twists all packed into the 400 pages. Throw in a attractive, ex City type single man trying to raise a baby on his own, you know you are onto a winner!

This really a fab read and something I sat and devoured in a day as I just didn't want to wait to see what came next! That is why I have given it my highest award of Louise loved .. highly recommended!

Cupcakes at Carrington's
Cupcakes at Carrington's
by Alexandra Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous first part of this trilogy, 27 Jan. 2013
I was thrilled to hear about this novel coming out. What I was most excited about was the subject matter of the book. Recently there have been a couple of series on the television that i have really enjoyed, that being The Paradise and most recently Mr Selfridge both of which are set in department stores. Unlike those programmes that were set a while back in time, Cupcakes at Carrington's is set the present day.

Set in a sea-side town on the South coast, we are introduced to the coming and goings, the management and the employes at this prestigious department store. There is something rather exciting I find about programmes/books like these. I love the way despite problems the staff are experiencing that they still stand behind their counter and paint on a smile for their Customers. Something many of us have to do in life!

I loved the character Georgie and her tangles love life, her relationship with other members in the store and who doesn't love a Gay personal assistant!! Elements of Devil wears Prada sprung to mind on occasions also!

Alexandra has written with great confidence the start of what I believe to be a trilogy of books at the Carrington Store and this really pleases me as it is so evident that she has hit on a theme that is totally engaging and something that I know for certain, I will definitely be wanting to read the next saga of. There is so much scope for opportunity I can't help but be excited for the next installment. This really is a book that you will enjoy curling up on a sofa one Sunday afternoon and getting lost in. Chick lit at it's best.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13