Profile for CC > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The PA
The PA

4.0 out of 5 stars Unlucky!, 19 July 2014
This review is from: The PA (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, a terrific insight into the world of being a PA in the City.

I felt that Victoria was incredibly unlucky to have worked for such terrible bosses but then I also questioned why she always demanded such a high salary when usually a higher salary means more stress in a job. I also wondered why she would look for roles in the City supporting Directors, Executives etc when she must have known from considerable experience what terrible attitudes a lot of these people have. I would have gladly gone without some of life's luxuries if it meant that I could preserve my sanity and health.

The editing is rather poor in areas, but still a great read.

Is It Just Me?
Is It Just Me?
by Miranda Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Honest, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Is It Just Me? (Paperback)
I found Miranda's writing style refreshing and honest. I loved the way that there was a dialogue throughout the book between grown up Miranda and teenage Miranda. She hits the nail on the head about many things in life that we are all supposed to instantly understand, when really there is no manual (until now, MDRC) and we are all trying desperately to navigate life's tricky path. I found her last chapter on Dreams and being yourself most touching. Other parts were laugh out loud funny.

The Mystery of Mercy Close (Walsh Family Book 5)
The Mystery of Mercy Close (Walsh Family Book 5)

2.0 out of 5 stars A let down, 11 July 2013
I am an avid fan of Marian Keyes and I knew that she had been so I'll with depression that she had been left unable to write. So, I was very excited to hear that she had a new book out and I chose to save it for my summer holidays.

Sadly, I found it very disappointing and it was very hard to get through. The storyline about Laddz was farcical and didn't hold my interest and the story about Helen's depression, was, well depressing.

Having come on holiday to relax from my own stressful time, I really, really did not want to read about depression and suicidal thoughts.

I found the relationship between Helen and Artie to have little dynamic and the whole Walsh Family was just irritating.

I gave the book 2 stars because I managed to get to the end but Marian usually tackles serious issues so well in her novels, I found that this was not the best way to approach the subject of depression.

Babyville
Babyville
by Jane Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Babyville, 7 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Babyville (Paperback)
I gave this book 3 stars because initially I found it slow to get into and did not like the woman in the first part of the book. I found her one dimensional and uninteresting. It definitely got better once I got to the part focused on Maeve, who came across as far more real.

The book centres on three women who are at various stages in their lives when children become their focal point. I would recommend this as a light holiday read.

I gave this to a friend who agreed with my thoughts above.

The Magpies: A Psychological Thriller
The Magpies: A Psychological Thriller

2.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre, 27 April 2013
I gave this book 2 stars because I thought that the idea was very good and the story got off to a promising start.

Unfortunately, as I got half way through, I found that the storyline lost its way. I wanted to know more about the tormentors and what led them to behaving the way that they did towards Kirsty and Jamie. I also found Kirsty very annoying at the start but did warm to her as the story developed.

The characters were very one dimensional and the plot lacked depth and instead just went on various tangents. If the author is going to write a psychological thriller, they need to appreciate that readers don't want to skim the surface, which is what this book did.

To sum up, not impressed and won't be reading any more from this author.

Call the Midwife: Christmas Special [DVD] [2012]
Call the Midwife: Christmas Special [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Jessica Raine
Offered by MediaMine

5.0 out of 5 stars Call the Midwife, 30 Dec. 2012
The acting in this Christmas special is superb. A highly emotional episode, which was incredibly moving to watch.

I would give it six stars if I could.

This Thirtysomething Life
This Thirtysomething Life

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, quick read, 28 Dec. 2012
Easy to read quickly as in diary form. I am not sure if you are supposed to find the main character annoying or endearing as I found him to be both characteristics throughout. It lost its way a little in the middle but had a good beginning and end.

Recommended as a light and quick read to dip into. I didn't lose myself in the storyline but glad to say that there were some proper laugh out loud moments as well as a few tearjerkers.

You Had Me At Hello
You Had Me At Hello

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read but predictable - spoilers, 28 Dec. 2012
This book is about 2 people, Rachel and Ben, who bump into each other 10years after they both finished Uni.The story alternates between past and present and we learn more about their history while seeing how everything unfolds for them in the present day. Rachel has just left her partner while discovering that Ben, who is the love of her life, is married.

I found that I had to re- read some passages from the book several times as the author' s style of writing can be a little ambiguous and confusing at times. I didn't seem to care much about the characters and more could have happened within the present day between the main characters to throw us a little off track. I don't know if I agreed with the ending as I found it a bit corny and very neatly concluded. I like a book with a huge twist or one that offers alternative ending and this was all too predictable for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value for money, 3 Nov. 2012
I think that this is really good value for money considering it does the job of tablets that cost up to £200 more. Reading is a pleasure although I am still getting used to no longer holding an actual book and I am looking forward to watching TV shows on it.

I was holding out from buying a tablet due to the cost involved so I am more than happy with my Kindle Fire.

Life, Death and Vanilla Slices
Life, Death and Vanilla Slices
by Jenny Eclair

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, I loved it., 23 Oct. 2012
I read this book on holiday in the summer and was trying to eek it out until I got back home, which actually became rather stressful because this book is so utterly brilliant, funny, nostalgic, painful, sad etc; that I couldn't put it down.

Jenny Eclair is a tremendous writer and she deserves an award for writing a book that is able to depict a relationship between a mother and her daughter in such a way that you really feel as though you are living through each woman's life. The twist at the end was totally unexpected as well.

Jenny, you really need to write more books, this is the best book I have read all year.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4