Profile for S. Richter > Reviews

Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing
by Meiko Arquillos
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Very simple indeed. Good beginner's workbook., 1 Feb 2012
This is a cute little book, with very basic patterns. Napkins, potholders, kitchen towel, tote bags, aprons, all simple and inoffensive. I am a once-reasonably-skilled seamstress trying to pick things up again after a 10yr break, and this wasn't the perfect book for me, it's a tad too basic. But that doesn't mean I regret buying it.

This book will please either the beginner looking for things to create with thorough explanation or a seamstress who's stuck in her own design mood and need to be kicked out of it. There's a very distinct look and feel to all projects in the book and that's probably why I'm keeping it. It feels nice to browse it and the simple inventions are often the most thought-provoking.

This book definitely made me want to look at more at Jansdotter's work. And layout and binding is just perfection, which is so rare. Thank you for a wonderful book that I love even though I probably won't make anything from it.

Me and My Sewing Machine: A Beginner's Guide
Me and My Sewing Machine: A Beginner's Guide
by Kate Haxell

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great idea! It's the perfect reference book., 20 Dec 2011
I love this book SO much. I hadn't sewn anything for ten years, but felt like trying it out again and bought a few books off of amazon. This is my favorite amazon purchase in a long time! It explains all basic and semi-advanced techniques you need to sew properly, from seams and hems to buttonholes, and it does so in a clear and concise language, broken down in simple steps with dedicated images to every step. It looks like a teenagebook on the cover, but I can tell that I will be using this book as a reference over and over again in my future sewing. Thank you so much Kate Haxell, you did a magnificent job with this book! I finally feel confident sewing again.

Coming back to add that I made the apron in the book, just to get things started, and it turned out great. I agree with comments saying the patterns aren't the most appealing, but they are useful when you need a simple project to try out all the techniques in the book. Thank you, Kate Haxell, I love this book!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2013 2:13 PM GMT

Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques Plus 150 Inspired Projects
by Martha Stewart

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not good enough, 20 Dec 2011
I don't know where to begin with this book. It's definetely NOT an encyclopedia of sewing. It's more like a collection of quick-read pages from a sewing magazine. The content is so disappointing, a majority of the 'sewing projects' are merely ideas to freshen up store-bought items in a quick way that involves fabric and scissors. The ones that are sewn from scratch are poorly described (such as the directions to sew a set of curtains saying something like 'cut fabric, sew bordes to main using french seams, yadayada, hang with curtain pins). That's not a how-to, thats the outline of an IDEA. I could have thought up that myself, I look to a book for directions.

Most of the 'projects' have only one photo, showing the item off from one direction only, and especially with the curtains I'd like to see the back.

All in all, I would not recommend this book to anyone. Novice sewers will be left to think up their own solutions for instructions like 'hang with curtain pins', cause Martha surely won't help them out. Advanced sewers will probably have thought of the ideas in this book themselves. But if you are simply looking for a collection of ideas of things to sew, you might find this book entertaining.... For about twenty minutes.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2013 2:30 PM GMT

Smartwool Merino NTS Midweight Mens Thermal Leggings - S, Black
Smartwool Merino NTS Midweight Mens Thermal Leggings - S, Black
Offered by Xtend-Adventure

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent woollies!, 12 Dec 2011
I am addicted to icebreaker and smartwool products for two reasons; they never dissapoint in terms of performance and they last forever! I got this pair as a gift (got the womens version myself) and could not find a better price online in the EU, so well done, amazon!

Smartwools midweight are what most other companies would call heavyweight in terms of underwear. It resembles the Icebreaker 260 fabric for reference, and is really, really warm. It's especially great for activities that are not so... well, active, like fishing, light hiking etc. For regular skiing these are almost too warm, unless you are way up north or tend to get cold easily.

I won't comment on fit, since I havent gifted these yet, but I can recommend the concept and fabric of these wool leggings to anyone looking for nice warmth and excellent wicking properties in a pair of long johns.

I am a little dissapointed to see that they are made in China (I know Icebreaker moved their facilities to China, but thought Smartwool were still proudly made in the US), but have good faith in the company overall, so it's not too bad.

The Essential Allotment Guide: How to Get the Best out of Your Plot
The Essential Allotment Guide: How to Get the Best out of Your Plot
by John Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide!, 22 Feb 2011
I bought his book when my grandmother left me her small plot in april last year. I haven't grown vegetables since I was a child and had no clue where to start. Since we took over the plot very late in the (vegetable) year, I just flipped through the book from time to time and planted whatever seeds I could find in the shed. Well, it was a small disaster, most crops where eaten by deer and by august we had weeds everywhere. But in between we had small successes, very much thanked to the advice in this book. I have read it again in the winter and also got the 'vegetable growing month by month' by the same author and now I feel much more confident taking on this little plot of wilderness.

So thank you, John Harrison. I may not be a great gardener yet, but because of your books I know where to focus my energy and where I shouldn't bother.

If youre not into glossy gardening books, but just looking for solid advice in a pleasant enlightening tone of voice, get this and other titles by JH. I recommmend them!

The Rough Guide to Montréal: With Québec City, the Laurentians & Eastern Townships (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by Arabella Bowen

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, 22 Feb 2011
I brought this guidebook when I went to Montréal for 6 months as an exchange student back in 2009. I picked this one over my usual Lonely Planet because I heard that the Rough Guides offer more in-depth knowledge about history, culture and vibe than the LP guides. I thought this would suit me better than the quick 'where to go tonight'-advice I am used to from the LP guides.

Sadly, this book contains WALLS of text and virtually no images to inspire. Lots of text is great, if it's properly written, but sadly, this one is just boring. I tried reading the chapter on vieux montreal a dozen times before succeeding, it's just not inspirational. The maps aren't too user friendly either and the structure of the books is not intuitive or guiding.

This book holds lot of information, but it's not well presented, there are barely any pictures or snippets that you can read quickly on the go, every piece of information you are looking for is hidden somewhere in the walls of text that covers every page.

Maybe this would have been a good book to read at home before going, but for informing you along the way, it's rubbish. Just didn't find it to be a good guide at all, sorry.

New England Knits: Timeless Knitwear with a Modern Twist
New England Knits: Timeless Knitwear with a Modern Twist
by Cecily Glowik MacDonald

4.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary classics. Nice!, 22 Feb 2011
You know all the knitting books and magazines you own, with only one or two patterns you actually want to knit? Well, being a knitter in my 20s I have quite a few, especially from the companies that don't offer single pattern purchase (yes, Rowan, I'm talking about you). This book is different.

There are several VERY nice designs in this book, especially the hampton cardigan (will teach you how to knit dolman sleeves) and the auburn top. I also like the cover sweater, and have already knit the windsor warmer which is a simple, cashmere scarf/cowl with buttons. Also, this book has some beautiful jacket/hoodie patterns with cable and moss stitch.

Now, a comment about the designs from a clothing perspective (rather than from a knitting perspective). In my opinion, many knitting patterns today are overdesigned. Too much going on, embroidery, tasteless use of cabling or other decorative stitches that indeed display your skills as a knitter, but results in a garment with a not-so-classic look. Now, this book does contain a few of these patterns, but luckily, much of it can simply be left out when knitting (like embroidery/pockets).

Overall, I was happy to discover that the vast majority of the patterns are what I would call contemporary classics. Not too plain, but not overdesigned either, and many of the 'extra' design elements can be left out with little or no modification to the actual pattern. I think there are maybe 1-2 patterns that I really don't like, the rest has great potential. But Interveawe, lose the bag patterns. Seriously, if I had 4 hanks of Donegal tweed, I would NOT knit a bag.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2011 8:23 AM BST

Fly London Women's Cloe Boot
Fly London Women's Cloe Boot

4.0 out of 5 stars Great comfortable wedge boots - with a wide shaft, 10 Aug 2010
Despite my size 8 feet, I always have trouble finding wedges that are comfortable, a lot of wedge boots are hard-soled and stiff which make it impossible to walk comfortably (and gracefully) in them. These are comfortable, high wedged AND flexible enough to walk in. They are without a doubt the most comfortable 10 cm wedges I have ever had.

I got the suede sand version and they are very true to the image on amazon, good quality suede, stitching is nice and the look of the boot is well coordinated (seams and patch are not the slightest bit uneven or out of place). The shaft is a little wider than expected, but I guess it's because it's a pull-on style. I can easily tuck in jeans and they may even be too wide to wear with skirts and tights. I have very average sized ankles/calves, so this may be an issue for those with very thin/narrow ankles/calves. I think it will work out, but I would have liked a narrower shaft. However, for the sale price I do not complain, it's a bargain.

If I could get my hands on these in black leather at the same price, I would buy them again.

Berlin (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides)
Berlin (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides)
by Andrea Schulte-Peevers

5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful pocket guidebook I have ever had, 4 Aug 2010
If you are already properly filled in on Berlin history and simply want a guide to the city of Berlin as it looks today, this is the guidebook for you.

This book is written to serve you with useful information while you explore the city, contrary to other guidebooks which are too big and heavy and contains too much information that you don't need when acommodation is sorted out (ie. hotel and restaurant listings) - often I find that information outdated anyways.

What I particularly like about this book is the colour indexed neighbourhood sections which have minimaps printed on their first page with, here comes the genious part, 'interesting' streets highlighted in yellow. That means you can simply take a train to the part of the city you want to explore, check out the neighbourhood map and go towards the yellow streets. This is especially useful if you want to explore the less touristy parts of Berlin, away from the main sights. The neighbourhood maps also have little symbols directing you to a small number of cafes, restaurants, clubs, sights and shops and is followed by a few pages with just one or two lines about each. The fold-out map is very useful too!

The book is logically built up by a brief, glossy introduction with highlights and pictures, followed by sections on specific neighbourhoods (this make up about 75% of the book) and practical information in the end, including a very short brushup on Berlin history. A note on the history section: If you are completely in the dark about the aftermath of WWII in Berlin, this history chapter will probably NOT answer the many questions that will undoubtedly pop up in your head when walking through Berlin. If so, you would need more information than this book provides.

I rarely bring checked luggage when travelling within Europe, so weight and volume was the primary reason I got this instead of the bigger guidebooks on Berlin, which are equally priced. But I am now planning a trip to Paris with checked luggage and all, and I am definetely getting the Paris encounter instead of the city guide.

Conclusion: The perfect guide for those of us who like to actually bring our guidebooks and just be guided, not lectured or drowned in information. Perfect, if you ask me!

Everybody Knows EP
Everybody Knows EP

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice EP, 22 July 2009
This review is from: Everybody Knows EP (Audio CD)
Actually, it's unfair to give this only 4 stars. I guess for most musicians, an EP like this would be a five-star achievement. For Ryan Adams however, the bar is set a bit higher. Buy this EP for the two live studio recordings, they are magnificent! Dear John is recorded without Norah Jones and features 'a cardinal' instead, which gives the track a completely different sound. If I am a Stranger on the EP is in a much slower version than on Cold Roses with (steel?) strings in front. Two really nice recordings.