Profile for isisjem > Reviews

Lowepro Passport Sling Shoulder Bag for Camera - Mica
Lowepro Passport Sling Shoulder Bag for Camera - Mica
Price: 39.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I agree with other comments, 6 Jun 2013
Having read the other comments made before purchase I agree it would have been helpful if the makers of this bag had put some catches/velcro on external pockets to make stuff in them just that little bit more secure.

This makes a good alternative to a conventional camera bag as it doesn't shout 'camera bag' at you on a day out. I like the colour of the mica one as it's neutral enough to go with most outfits and is especially good when I go to wildlife reserves.

I don't find the bag quite as roomy as I thought it might be. My canon DSLR is the smallest/lightest one I believe they do and whilst I can fit it in with a 300mm lens on it and a smaller lens there is a limit to what else I can then fit in the bag.

That said I'm not sure what else is on the market that could better this bag and given the option I'd buy it again.

Kingfisher - Cushion Garden Knee Pads - 1 Pair - One Size
Kingfisher - Cushion Garden Knee Pads - 1 Pair - One Size
Offered by UK Home Shopping - UKHS
Price: 0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Low price should have been a clue, 6 Jun 2013
Not knowing if my Mum would get on with wearing kneelers while gardening we opted for a cheap pair. We'd seen a variety in garden centres ranging in price and they all looked the same - ish so we assumed all knee pads would be made equal. The issue with these pads is a total lack of...padding! They're almost flat. There is some token padding in them but it's so thin it really isn't worth bothering with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2013 5:18 PM BST

Revenge of the Tide
Revenge of the Tide
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great second novel., 4 Mar 2013
I really enjoyed this second novel. I'd heard that some people had been disappointed by this novel after loving Haynes' first book. I think you need to approach this as a completely different read. Haynes debut novel was amazing and it's hard to imagine anything following up that. I think this book was equally as enjoyable - just in a different way. Her great style of writing is evident and I really felt I knew the characters as real people by the end of it and this is the sort of book I can see making a great tv drama. I am looking forward to reading more novels by Haynes.

The Spire
The Spire
by William Golding

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't say I enjoyed this., 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Spire (Paperback)
This book was chosen by my book group after several members had heard rave reviews. It's also (at least in the past) been an A Level set text and I have to say I did find it heavy going. It's written as a stream of consciousness and pays little concession to the reader. That said it was a useful book group choice as we had plenty to talk about as we made sense of what we'd read. Definitely a good book to ignite discussion.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2014 3:04 PM GMT

John Mills - Centenary Collection Vol.2 [DVD]
John Mills - Centenary Collection Vol.2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Mills
Price: 18.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Great selection, 4 Mar 2013
I bought this for my mothers birthday. Someone had previously bought her vol.1 and we'd been a bit disappointed by the selection of films they'd included. (There seemed some odd choices amongst some great films of his.) This second volume includes some more favourites as well as some very early Mills films that we weren't familiar with. If you're a fan of John Mills and old British B&W movies this is a great addition to your collection at a good price.

Caleb's Crossing
Caleb's Crossing
by Geraldine Brooks
Price: 6.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Caleb's Crossing (Paperback)
This was my book group choice of book for the first month. I loved the way the author took some basic historical fact, in this case, the first Indian admitted to Harvard and then wove a story round it to create a work of fiction. I found the descriptions of the settlers lives in Martha's Vineyard area of the US fascinating. I also loved the gentle style of writing that complimented the story so well. That's not to say Geraldine Brooks shy's away from difficult topics. There were a few gruesome parts in this story. Went on to read another of this authors books "Year of Wonders" because I enjoyed this so much.

BullGuard Internet Security 12, 1 year subscription, 3 Users (PC)
BullGuard Internet Security 12, 1 year subscription, 3 Users (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does everything you'd expect, 28 Jan 2013
Having had negative experiences with both Norton and MacAfee I first came across BullGuard as a freebie with the purchase of a new laptop. I've found it easy to use and install and it's much cheaper to buy new subscriptions via Amazon than Bullguard themselves. It also doesn't really slow my laptop down when it's doing full scans or downloads. That said I always have trouble installing from disc and usually end up downloading it and using the licence code on the box to register it .

Patchwork & Quilting Ruler with Grid 6.5 inch x 6.5 inch (same size as Omnigrid)
Offered by Pinetrees Trading Ltd U.K.
Price: 10.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 28 Jan 2013
Good value smaller ruler that is a useful additional to any quilters set of rulers. Usefully marked with a 3" square and diagonal to help with squaring up.

The Sense of an Ending
The Sense of an Ending
by Julian Barnes
Price: 3.86

2.0 out of 5 stars Not My Sort Of Book, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Sense of an Ending (Paperback)
This was chosen by my book group and despite it being the winner of the Man Booker Prize in 2011, it hadn't been on my reading radar. It was well written and more of a novella than a novel - which is maybe what I struggled with as it felt like a longer short story than a proper novel. I just wasn't overly keen on the story.

Winning Words: Inspiring Poems for Everyday Life
Winning Words: Inspiring Poems for Everyday Life
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 28 Jan 2013
I thought this would be much more interesting that it actually was. Seems a strange collection in many ways. But I was not overly inspired by it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5