Profile for isisjem > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
THE GLASS GUARDIAN
THE GLASS GUARDIAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 14 Jun. 2012
This is so difficult for me to review because I don't want to give away any spoilers!!

When Ruth finds herself bereaved of her Aunt Janet who's been like a mother to her, and who's death comes at the end of a difficult 12 months of loss. Ruth finds herself left the beautiful property Janet owned on Skye. Her career is in the doldrums and Ruth is at a crossroads; trying to decide where her future lay and whether she can afford to keep on Janet's house, Tigh na Linne. While going through Janet's possessions Ruth gets an insight into her family history, Janet's music career and also discovers there is a resident ghost at Tigh na Linne. One who's future is tied up with her own. One that needs her help...

As with Linda Gillard's other books (and I've read them all) there are certain common elements to The Glass Guardian, as there are in other books. First off we have a likeable heroine who has more than one potential 'hero' to choose from. Which means we get to choose who we prefer all the way through and see if she ends up with our first choice at the end. There is a stunning location with a wonderful old house and garden - Tigh na Linne. I'd love to know if it's inspired from a real location! Because this property really was another character in this novel. Music, love and loss also figure heavily.

What I've come to expect from Linda Gillard's stories is that these are not formulaic. Each one is very different in theme. The big theme for this novel is paranormal romance. I've read many books over the years with ghosts or with paranormal/supernatural undertones and it's very difficult to create a convincing story without going for the horror/gothic genre or lots of fantasy -ie throwing in the werewolves and vampires. Which may not appeal to every reader of Linda's other stories. Linda succeeds in creating a convincing story without a werewolf or vampire in sight and certainly no horror!

Another thing I liked about the book is much relies heavily on coincidence. An almost Dicken's like coincidence is no bad thing and adds to the atmosphere as it makes you wonder just how much supernatural influence has on the lives of the characters.

This novel would appeal to her regular readers and a whole host of new readers that like a little supernatural interest to their stories. If you've enjoyed the play Blythe Spirit by Noel Coward or "Her Fearful Symmetry" by Audrey Niffenegger I suspect you'll enjoy this novel too.

DIGIFLEX 58mm Dual Thread UV Filter for Canon 18-55mm EOS 500D 1000D XS, T1i, XTi, XSi, XT, T2i, T3,T3i, or any lens with a 58mm front thread for Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tokina etc
Offered by Digiflex

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 4 April 2012
I have been perplexed by the range of prices for UV filters so thought I'd try a couple of these. I figured that at this price if they turned out to be unsuitable I wouldn't have paid out lots of money. They came nicely packaged in plastic foam lined containers and easily fitted my lens. They certainly seem substantial and clear. They have the dual thread so I have easily been able to attach other filters, without having to first remove these filters from the lens. Even if you decide to upgrade to more expensive filters at a later date, these appear to more than serve their purpose, allowing you to put the money you save towards more pricey camera equipment!

Never Tell
Never Tell

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of twists and turns., 4 April 2012
This review is from: Never Tell (Kindle Edition)
A big fan of thrillers, this is the first Claire Seeber novel I've read. This story followed the lives of some former Oxford students that had been involved with a secret society at university that had ended with tragedy. Fast forward 20 years and their past appears to be coming back to haunt them. There were lots of twists and turns. Although two of the most 'shocking' twists were apparent quite early on - to me at least. That said there were so many characters twisted up with others I was kept guessing as to how it would all resolve until the last page. I have heard that Claire Seeber novels would appeal to fans of Nicci French and Sophie Hannah and I agree, as this novel seems to fit in the middle of those authors styles. I have already purchased another Claire Seeber novel to read soon!

RSPB Birds of Britain and Europe (DK)
RSPB Birds of Britain and Europe (DK)
by Rob Hume

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative bird guide, 31 Mar. 2012
I bought this copy for my other half who was in danger of pinching my copy he liked it so much. Has a useful CD in the back of bird calls to help identify birds by their song. It has clear illustrations and information about each bird as well as a useful box on each page pointing out other similar birds. This is a Britain and Europe guide - so you have to bare this in mind if you are only spotting in Great Britain as some birds won't be applicable. At just over 450 pages you are unlikely to want to carry this out in the field for identification purposes - it is quite weighty. It does make a useful addition to your wildlife books and is best left at home and referred to when you get home - perhaps to identify birds from photo's you've taken.

Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS (Expanded Guides)
Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS (Expanded Guides)
by Andy Stansfield

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Guide, 31 Mar. 2012
My other half bought one of these books to accompany his new DSLR and suggested I do the same. Whilst the camera did come with a manual, this is much better at explaining all the controls and helping you to get the most out of your camera.

TeckNet® NEW Kindle 4 Premium Folio Case / Cover With Magnetic Clasp For NEW Amazon Kindle 4 / 6 inch / 2011 generation / Book Style - Includes Kindle Rear Protector - Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 31 Jan. 2012
A great value cover. It said it was leather on the box but, I can't believe it is for the price and given I can't tell whether it is or isn't purely by touch/sniff it shows what a quality item this is.

It comes with a back protector which I assume is because the colour could over time mark the cover of the kindle - as once the kindle is in the cover I can't see why it would need further back protection. The back cover looks like a screen protector for a touch type phone. I point this out because if you unpacked your Kindle and didn't read all the paperwork/instructions you could be forgiven for thinking they'd sent you a screen protector and I suspect you don't want to be sticking this on your kindle screen.

I didn't find an issue with using the navigating buttons when the kindle is in the case, as some other reviewers said they have, but I've got quite small hands. It took a while to get used to the fact the case appears to do up the wrong way. This I presume is so the closing strap isn't flapping about in front of your kindle when you have the case open and are trying to read.

Would definitely recommend this case.

The Cloud Collector's Handbook
The Cloud Collector's Handbook
by Gavin Pretor-Pinney

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and fun, 31 Jan. 2012
A fun little pocket sized volume that explains what different cloud formations are and gives you spotting scores, based on cloud rarity, a bit like I-Spy books did when I was a child. Would make a nice little stocking filler or gift for anyone interested in weather or just looking for a quirky little informative present.

Hot Shots: How to Refresh Your Photos
Hot Shots: How to Refresh Your Photos
by Kevin Meredith

3.0 out of 5 stars Warm shots?, 31 Jan. 2012
As someone looking to getting into more manual photography this book came highly recommended. However I'm glad I read the reviews on Amazon first that pointed out a lot of this book is aimed at people using film camera's not DSLR's or I think I'd have been very disappointed. It doesn't mean you can't put into practice the authors suggestions, it just means it's probably not so beginner friendly and may feel a little old fashioned to those wanting to use just digital.

This book shows you a picture and then explains how the picture was taken so you can copy or use these techniques yourself.

It's a useful addition to anyone's photography bookshelf, but maybe not as 'Hot' as I'd been led to believe.

The King's Speech [DVD]
The King's Speech [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The King's Speech [DVD] (DVD)
When this was out at the cinema it hadn't really appealed. It was only when I kept hearing how good it was I was prompted to get it on dvd. Or rather my Mum asked me to get it for her. I really enjoyed this story and thought it was well acted and entertaining. Would recommend

Nintendo DS Lite Red Console with Big Brain Academy (Nintendo DS)
Nintendo DS Lite Red Console with Big Brain Academy (Nintendo DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and educational, 12 Jun. 2011
I have had hours of fun from my ds. Far more than I orignally anticipated when I first treated myself to it. It came with Big Brain Academy which I soon got bored with although my young niece loved it. I got irritated when the voice recognition bits didn't seem to register and it had an impact on my score. After a while I got bored with trying to train my brain. Other games are lots of fun and there are a wide selection for DS

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5