Profile for Crafty Marie > Reviews

Content by Crafty Marie
Top Reviewer Ranking: 152

Crafty Marie "mariej30" (Cambs)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
HOOVER Blaze Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, 1.5 Litre, 850 Watt, Black and Blue
HOOVER Blaze Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, 1.5 Litre, 850 Watt, Black and Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact Hoover and Powerful Suction - Very Pleased, 16 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We've always had cylinder style vacuum cleaners from the extremely cheap (Tesco own make) to the very expensive Dysons. This one by Hoover sits roughly in the middle in terms of what we've spent previously. I became very disillusioned with the Dyson brand after my long hair strands managed to break one of the plastic parts on the machine after just over a year of use. Since then we have used a cheap Tesco cylinder vacuum which has been perfectly fine in terms of cleaning.

However, I was thrilled to get the chance to review this Hoover product. The styling is smart (someone else said it looks cheap but I happen to like the way it looks. It's nice and compact which means it is easy to store away under the stairs.

After using it extensively, I really find that it is almost impossible for me to fault it. Yes it is noisy but I've yet to have the pleasure of using a vacuum that isn't! You want a powerful suction, the noise happens to come along with that. Personally I will opt for a powerful suction that sucks up dust, pet hairs and dirt quickly over the noise level any day. I have very long hair and we have a long haired cat so it's important that a vacuum deals well with those which this one does. It works great on pet hair.

About the only valid criticism for me is that I would like a longer cord - all cylinder vacuums seem to suffer with shorter cords so it's been the same with every one we've bought. I'd love manufacturers to aim to make these a lot longer please so I don't need to keep plugging and unplugging or use an extension lead.

Doctor Who: Cybermen Monster File
Doctor Who: Cybermen Monster File

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Kids Who Love Cybermen!, 24 Oct 2014
My daughter (7) loves Dr Who and her favorite monsters are the Cybermen. So getting this app for her was a bit of a no-brainer really. She has spent a lot of time on this app and loves the interactive features - there are short video clips, lots of stuff to read which might be harder for younger kids, a story which has audio narration and things to press and touch on the tablet screen. She likes pressing on the fingerprints and getting the Cybermen to say things like "Incineration" and that one keeps her amused for quite some time.

It is more of a learning and discovery app and not a game. So much better for kids who really want to discover more about a favourite Who monster in terms of facts rather than action and play. Since it has been really well received, I'd be very happy to get some other monster files for her if they make them too. For a child who loves all the Who encyclopedias and fact files etc, this is right up her street. Has worked flawlessly on the Fire HD.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2014 12:00 AM GMT

Disney Frozen Ice Skating Elsa Doll
Disney Frozen Ice Skating Elsa Doll
Offered by Creston

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughter LOVED this doll, I think it is just OK, 14 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a cute looking doll about the size of a standard Barbie. She is 7 and mad on anything Elsa from Frozen so she went mad when she saw the box with the doll inside. If my daughter was reviewing this, she'd give it 5 stars because she really loves it so that makes it a great gift for a young fan.

For me, it is a bit underwhelming. You have to push this doll on one foot for it to make a skating type action as it sort of bobs up and down a bit. No batteries which is good but it doesn't really do anything special. I think the foot looks daft which she has to skate on and you can't do a lot else with it since only her skirt comes off if you want to dress her up.

My little girl sees it differently. All she cares about is that she has a gorgeous looking Elsa doll and the fact it doesn't do much has been no hamper at all to her playing with it. She loves this thing. Kids who need toys to entertain them might get bored with this quite quickly but I think it is a good buy if a child is good with imaginative play.

Philips GC8638/20 PerfectCare Aqua Iron Steam Generator with One Perfect Temperature and 280 g Steam Boost, 2500 ml, 2400 Watt, 5.3 Bar, Navy

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightening Fast Ironing with the Steam, 2 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My husband does most of the ironing in our home although I'm happy to help out too. He has used this iron a lot more than me and we are both very impressed at just how quickly and efficiently you can iron with it.

- The water tank is huge and you don't need to refill even after hours of ironing which saves time
- No fiddling around with controls to change any settings, just get on and iron
- The iron part itself is quite light to hold since it has no water in it
- Press onto the steam button and it is amazingly quick at getting the creases out

Some points you may need to consider:

- It is huge. It takes up a very large space on our kitchen counter and it's too big to stash in a cupboard
- It is heavy even without filling with water. We've placed it where we don't need to move it to get on and iron
- It's easy to knock the steam button by accident - not a big deal but it happens
- The cords (both the iron one and mains plug) are rather short. Something to be aware of

Overall we are really impressed. We both think that it is well worth the kitchen counter space to have such a good quality iron that makes ironing as quick and easy as it can be. Of course, if you have a utility room or somewhere you can keep the iron out all the time, even better. If you don't have much ironing to get through every week then this may not be the best choice but if you need to iron a lot of clothes - it's the best we've ever used.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2014 12:06 AM BST

Galt Toys B Glam Fashion Designer Studio
Galt Toys B Glam Fashion Designer Studio
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for Young Girls into Fashion and Creativity, 2 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fun set for young girls maybe 7+ who enjoy creative activities and are happy to sit down for a while and draw and colour in. I was surprised when it arrived because it was much larger and heavier than I expected and it looks like a very good gift to get.

It's not quite so impressive once opened, at least to my eyes, however my 7 year old loved it and instantly got busy with the included stencils and drawing outfits to go over the outline of the girl provided on the sheets. She enjoyed cutting out clothes using the patterned paper provided and also embellishing them more with the stickers. So it was a winning product for her and that's who it's aimed at hence the 4 stars. Great rainy day activity.

Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor
Edwin Jagger DE89 Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Chrome Razor Underwhelming Packaging, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a gift for my husband who prefers to wet shave than use an electric shaver. I was a bit disappointed with the packaging, a flimsy cardboard box, which makes this item look a bit cheap. However, the razor inside is stunning. It looks expensive, feels expensive as is weighty in the hand and the chrome just shines. I'm going to hunt out a nicer looking presentation case before I give this to him since the box lets it down quite a bit. But I'm very happy with the item itself - clearly I haven't tested it but it looks like it will be ideal. Be nice to get some traditional shaving soap and a brush to go with it.

Galt Knitting Case
Galt Knitting Case

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Kid's Knitting Set with Fun Projects to Make, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Galt Knitting Case (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think this is a good kit overall for a child who already knows the very basics of knitting and is ready to make a few projects. I think it will fall short on actually teaching a child to knit since the instructions on that are just not that clear - kids would be better off watching some how to knit videos on youtube or having a very good and clear photo tutorial book that they can follow. I can knit but I found the instructions here confusing myself.

If the child can already do the basics then they can forget about those frustrating instructions and focus on making the items instead which are fun and colourful projects for kids to make. There is plenty of wool provided as well as the stuffing needed to fill the toys and also extra bits with buttons and needles for sewing on the details. So overall a nice item.

Galt Sewing Case
Galt Sewing Case

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Sewing Kit Ideal for Kids Age 7+, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Galt Sewing Case (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was quite a bit better than I anticipated. For a start, the case was much bigger than I thought it might be and it actually had quite a few contents inside - far more than I expected which was a lovely surprise.

I wouldn't say this is a 'first' sewing kit since the contents and items are really ideal for around age 7 and up. And even then, most children will need supervision with the projects. But it is a very nice kit and it certainly made my 7 year old a great birthday gift.

The needles enclosed are sharp so not for very young children and they could do with a little needle case thrown in for storage of these small (and easily lost) items.

Everything in the set is used for the different projects shown but the nice thing is that the hard case is big enough to hold all their sewing things even after those projects have been made and the materials used. Really happy with this lovely little set.

Wacom Bamboo Pad Light Touchpad with Digital Stylus - Metallic Grey
Wacom Bamboo Pad Light Touchpad with Digital Stylus - Metallic Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Portable and Handy Little Pen Tablet, 19 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm used to using a slightly bigger pen tablet with my main computer but this one is ideal to use along with my laptop - since it is small and light it is very portable for taking along and using with the laptop on weekends and trips away from home.

It has the same good quality as the more expensive Wacom tablets but the main difference is that this has only a tiny area that you can write/draw on which makes it OK for more occasional use with using the stylus to write or draw but not ideal if you want something for doing a lot of graphic work or anything detailed etc. If you're used to using a bigger pen tablet then you may find this a bit of an adjustment in terms of sizing but if you've never used one then you will probably get used to it quicker. Better for doing quick doodles and bits of text such as signatures on documents than detailed graphic work.

I prefer navigating the laptop with a pen to a mouse or a touchpad and this works just fine for that. So I can't comment on the multi-gesture features since I don't use those at all.

Rainbow loom Official Monster Tail
Rainbow loom Official Monster Tail

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest and Fastest Loom to Use for Tail Bracelets, 16 Jun 2014
This is the best little loom (and easiest I know of) that kids can start to use to make bracelets with although be aware that it is designed specifically to make variations of Tail bracelets i.e. fishtails, quad tails etc of which there are stacks of variations on design - just look on YouTube for some awesome patterns to make.

Unlike the large standard Rainbow loom, this one is highly portable and easy to take wherever kids go so good for journeys: car, plane, train and for getting out in a cafe or even restaurant when children get understandably bored in waiting for adults to hurry up!

A lot of children learn how to make these bracelets by making them on their fingers - this board mimics that process which makes it easier for kids to understand and it enhances that since it provides 8 pegs to work on instead of 5 digits on a hand. That allows for a lot more design options.

My 7 year old did not get the standard loom at all - but she understood how to use this monster tail one straightaway and made quite a tricky bracelet on her first attempt just by looking at the photo instructions.

I think it gives a great deal with the board, official bands and the special hook that you use to latch on to the bands and pull them over the pegs. It has given hours of fun and despite being a cheap present for my daughter's birthday, it was actually her favorite one. Fab craft toy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19