Profile for Crafty Marie > Reviews

Content by Crafty Marie
Top Reviewer Ranking: 219

Crafty Marie "mariej30" (Cambs)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
3rd and Bird: The Muffin Express and Other Stories (3rd & Bird)
3rd and Bird: The Muffin Express and Other Stories (3rd & Bird)
by Josh Selig
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD FOR TOTS - ANNOYING FOR ADULTS, 24 Feb. 2010
There are 50 mins of storytime and singing on this CD split into 10 min segments.

It is all together too loud, chirpy, shrieky and annoying for me to listen to for long BUT (as is typical) my toddler nearly 3 clearly enjoys it. So it does seem to entertain and appeal to the target audience even though there are other CDs she likes better than this one which is why I've not given 5 stars.

Perhaps she would have liked it more, seeing the actual TV show (on CBeebies first) but she came to the CD not knowing any of the characters so it took a few goes before she really liked listening to it. I've found this with a lot of CDs/DVDs that even if your child says they don't like them initially, put them away for a little while and re-introduce them a little later. Many my toddler didn't like at first (Maisy, Bagpuss) are firm favourites now.

I would say a good buy especially if your child likes the TV show.

Omron Sonic Style Electric Toothbrush 458 Black - Rechargeable Toothbrush
Omron Sonic Style Electric Toothbrush 458 Black - Rechargeable Toothbrush
Offered by Online4Perfume

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECTLY CLEAN TEETH EVERY TIME, 24 Feb. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First up you need to know that this electric toothbrush is supplied with a standard 'shaver' 2-pin head, so you might need to buy a 2-3 pin shaver adapter if you do not already have one.

The product comes with 2 toothbrush heads, 1 standard head and 1 soft one for sensitive teeth. You can purchase new heads in packs of two from Amazon including some pointed brush heads not included in the box Omron Point Brush Head for Sonic Style 2 Pack which clean between gaps.

Also be aware that you need to charge the electric toothbrush for a minimum of 16 hours on the first charge which is very lengthy but supposed to prolong the battery life. I couldn't find in the manual whether you need to charge for 16 hours every time - I do hope not! Usually with electric items, the first charge is longer.

I've never used an electric toothbrush before so I cannot compare with other brands.

There are 5 speed settings and be warned that the medium setting it defaults to may be too fast and intense if you've never used an electric toothbrush before! So I turned mine down to the lowest speed setting until I got used to the sensation.

After 3 minutes of cleaning, the brush will automatically turn itself off which is a feature I really like and the fact it pauses inbetween at 30 second intervals so you can have an idea of how long you've got left.

If you've ever had your teeth cleaned by a hygenist at the dentist - this feels just as good. I could not believe how smooth my teeth felt and fresh. It doesn't seem to rub my gums at all, in fact it feels less abrasive on my gums than a bog-standard toothbrush.

There are other settings as well as the standard speed settings but I haven't experimented with those as yet. I'm just happy with the good clean my teeth are now getting. Extremely pleased with the product.

Crabtree & Evelyn Citron Hand Remedy 100ml
Crabtree & Evelyn Citron Hand Remedy 100ml

5.0 out of 5 stars LUXURY HAND-CREAM & GORGEOUS GIFT, 28 Jan. 2010
I love my hand-creams and this sits up there with the very best.

It would make a wonderful gift. The packaging is extremely tasteful (linen-like thick but soft, textured cardboard) without being overly feminine or girly. It looks luxurious and expensive at first glance. The hand-cream tube is metal (not horrid plastic) which again adds to the elegance of the item and is produced in a lovely sage green. What is wonderful is that the tube (which is a very large 100 ml) is the right size for the packaging - have you ever opened something up and been disappointed about the size of the item inside? You won't be here.

A light press is all you need to squeeze a small amount of cream from the tube. It is a crisp white colour. It has a wonderful lemony scent which to me smells of a beautiful spring day - a fresh, clean aroma with a hint of springtime flowers. This appeals to me greatly as I love fresh, clean scents as opposed to those very heavy and cloying aromas.

The cream glides over your skin. It is a light cream, not a dense one. And it sinks in easily without leaving your hands feeling greasy. You only need a small amount to put over your hands which will keep them feeling soft for many hours.

For the ultimate treatment, lather on a bigger amount, place gloves over the top and leave for several hours - preferably overnight.

Michael Foreman's Treasure Island
Michael Foreman's Treasure Island
by Robert Louis Stevenson

5.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK TO TREASURE FOREVER, 17 Dec. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This edition of Treasure Island is a little bit bigger than an A4 sheet of paper and very heavy. It is such a beautifully made book so really best for older children who are careful with their books.

The rich blue cover is textured to look like ripples of water and really invites you to open it up and delve right in. As soon as you open the front cover, you are treated to a double-page spread of a ship sailing on the ocean which is a fantastic picture. There are many large pictures throughout the book which are just beautiful to look at - pirates, ships, treasure, maps, horses, taverns - everything to appeal to the imaginations of an adventurous child.

You could probably read a chapter to a child at nighttime or older children will be able to read the book for themselves if it is propped open on the floor or a table due to the weight. I remember reading books of this size on the floor when I was younger with no problem.

I think it is an exciting story, beautifully made and the kind of book to treasure forever. Wonderful.

The Smelly Sprout
The Smelly Sprout
by Allan Plenderleith

5.0 out of 5 stars SILLY, SMELLY, SPROUTY FUN!, 17 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Smelly Sprout (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter calls this the Silly, Smelly Sprout and we both love this book.

The book is hardback and quite small, not much bigger than our coasters in fact. So ideal for 1 adult and 1 child to read but difficult if you are aiming to read it to more than one child at a time.

The silly sense of humour in the book definitely appeals to young children and adults who don't take themselves too seriously. There is quite a lot of text for a small book so I only read out key points as my daughter is not quite 3. She loves shouting out pooh, smelly sprout which she thinks is hilarious - as wit most children of that age. I think she understands more than the humour though and she emulates feeling sorry for the sprout and then happy at the end.

The colour, cartoony pictures generously fill every page and they are fun to look at.

I would say this is an excellent stocking filler for Christmas.

Luckily I don't need to use the book to convince my daughter to eat her sprouts a she loves all her veg anyway!

Easy Tasty Italian
Easy Tasty Italian
by Laura Santtini

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT TASTING ITALIAN FOOD, 17 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Easy Tasty Italian (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not sure how 'The Bookseller' could describe this as "the perfect girlfriend present" - I am a woman and some of the non-food photos in this book I find to be rather unsavory! Such as french kissing with tongues obviously showing and a picture of a man in underpants right at the back. Those pictures actually detract from the cookbook side and for that reason I would not gift this to anyone and certainly not a woman.

As other reviewers have noted, I think in trying desperately to make this book different, it has dumbed the book right down unfortunately.

However, the actual food content of the book is very, very good and that's why despite the above I have given it 4 stars.

Quality food photographs are essential in the cookbooks I enjoy, Easy Tasty Italian does not disappoint in this respect. The food photographs are wonderfully seductive and tasteful. I just wish there were more food photographs instead of the other, silly pictures.

As for the recipes themselves, easy is debatable because for a start there are some very specialist items which many people will find a challenge to get hold of. There are some easy recipes but I wouldn't say they are representative of the book. Only 12 deserts and I have a sweet tooth so this is not a big enough selection for me personally but the ones included do look very appealing. But plenty of meat, fish and pasta recipes which will appeal to those who are looking for a bit of Italian flavour.

So far this has been one of those 'coffee table books' for us but there are several recipes I am planning to try including antipasti and risottos so will hopefully update my review at some point.

Emma (unabridged, 12 CDs) (BBC Audio)
Emma (unabridged, 12 CDs) (BBC Audio)
by Jane Austen
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars 14 HOURS OF PLEASURE, 24 Nov. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First up, Emma IS my favourite Jane Austen novel despite the fact it is one of her lesser known works. If you like some of Jane Austen's other books then I urge you to give this a try. Emma is a bit of a young busy-body who is intent on matchmaking for other people whilst she almost sneers at the very thought of being in a relationship herself. It is charming and very funny.

I like audiobooks as an alternative to reading and not instead of. For example, you can't read a book while you are ironing but you an spend the time listening to an audiobook. So I tend to listen to audiobooks while I'm ironing, cooking, while traveling or sometimes before I go to bed.

One tip I would give is that you can make a personal copy of your CD with say iTunes and then you can put the resulting mp3 tracks straight onto a smaller mp3 player or ipod. I do this because it is easier to take a small mp3 player around with you than a big CD player. The new generation (3rd) of ipod touches have their own speaker so you don't even need to plug headphones in to listen: New Apple iPod touch 8GB (3rd Generation)

To get back to the CD itself. It comes in a lovely packaged box and I really enjoy listening to Jenny Agutter's soothing voice. She is very easy and pleasant to listen to. I would highly recommend this.

Emily's Tiger
Emily's Tiger
by Miriam Latimer

4.0 out of 5 stars TAMING TANTRUMS!, 23 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Emily's Tiger (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A wonderfully illustrated and colourful book which is about the size of an A4 sheet of paper.

There are 29 pages of the actual story which is too long for the majority of young toddlers but will probably best suit children who are 4 and older.

I love the fact that this book delivers the message that behaving like a noisy tiger isn't good and no-one wants to listen to someone who stamps and shouts to try and get their own way. By taming the tiger inside you can learn some control over your angry emotions. The great thing is that this message is delivered in a fun and engaging story that young children can understand.

I particularly liked the fact that Granny helps the little girl understand her emotions because my little girl loves her grandma to bits so this has worked very well for us.

Now when my little one starts to have a tantrum, I ask her if she's being a tiger in a joking voice. Most of the time it helps to diffuse the situation and we both start laughing. Obviously sometimes tantrums just cannot be avoided and that's normal. I don't think children should feel they have to hide their negative emotions all the time.

It's amazing what even young children will understand when it is explained well. And I think this book does a really great job of helping children to manage what they feel inside.

The Cassandra Chronicles
The Cassandra Chronicles
by Ariel Leve

4.0 out of 5 stars Life on the flipside!, 23 Nov. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is clear from the start that The Cassandra Chronicles is really not going to be everyone's cup of tea. In fact I would say it will only appeal to a minority audience.

Many readers will find the subject matter bleak, pessimistic and (at times) just downright depressing. To someone like myself who is already a bit of a pessimist, it is actually very funny.

For the pessimist reader this book is like a comic send up of how us "miserables" tend to view normal life - sarcastic, wry and cutting sense of humour. So I really enjoyed it - it made my life seem nowhere near as bad as I'm prone to believe.

The chapters are pretty short which makes this book great to dip into. If you're having a particularly bad day, read it and you'll feel heaps better!

If you're a positive and optimistic person, I'd avoid this book like the plague as you'll find it a very negative affair. But for those who always view their glass as being half-empty, you should find this a very funny read.

Apple iPod touch 8GB (Model A1288 launched Sept 2008)
Apple iPod touch 8GB (Model A1288 launched Sept 2008)

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST AND MOST USEFUL GADGET I OWN, 9 Nov. 2009
I was looking for a small device which would let me play music, audiobooks, surf the Internet and email. After reading lots of reviews, I narrowed it down to Archos 5 120GB Internet Media Tablet WiFi 5",High Resolution Touch Screen 800x480 pixels,convenient leg stand. and the Ipod Touch.

In the end the fantastic price of the ipod Touch won me over and I'm glad it did.

There are always going to be people who argue, it doesn't do this, it doesn't do that. But what it does do is an incredible amount of functions and does them all very well. At the apple app store you will find many free and low-priced apps which are great - including games. I certainly recommend you get the free battery magic app which shows you in detail how much battery life you have left and how many hours of audio, www or games that translates into.

Had no problems hooking up to our wireless broadband to get on the Internet. Surfing the Internet is very easy and you can quickly zoom in and out of pages with a finger pinching movement over the screen. You can open multiple windows which you can't on some small devices. Typing on the screen (say if you're on a forum) is much easier than you'd think and fast. I've written quite lengthy posts with it.

You can set up multiple email accounts to download your messages onto your ipod - very easy to do. There is a calendar where you can set up birthdays and events. The clock function is brilliant, it also has a timer alarm and I've used it several times to remind me when to remove puddings from the oven.

Music-wise brilliant (if you use your own headphones and not the supplied ones!) although I mostly use it for audiobooks. It remembers where I last listened up to and resumes from there.

If you download a free app called Stanza, you can read ebooks on the device. You might think reading off a small screen is too hard but it is very comfortable and stanza lets you adjust text size to suit. Great for whiling away the time if you're stuck waiting for something.

All-in-all this is the best gadget I own - no it doesn't take photos or video but I'm glad about that because if it did it would a have to be a lot bigger and b would cost a lot more. Great item :)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2012 6:52 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19