Profile for Gus > Reviews

Content by Gus

Gus (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
MediaDevil Magicscreen Screen Protector: Crystal Clear (Invisible) - Apple iPhone 5 / 5S / 5C (2 x FRONT screen protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil

5.0 out of 5 stars A great customer experience, 3 May 2013
My first experience was really bad and lost the first set and the second set was misplaced. Then Culliman, from the MediaDevil, called me and explained that the phone has an edge which, I confess, I had (and still have) failed to notice. My wife tells me that she can see it (I think that as age cripples in I might be getting as blind as a bat).
Anyway: you not only need to follow all their instructions (including the sauna stuff), but you do need to have incredible eyesight or - like me - find someone who has a 20/20 vision to assist you. Some steady hands are also very useful. In my case, I finally succeeded when we did it 4 hands.
I now have a fully protected (and, yes, the stuff looks great and is invisible. At least to me!)
And MediaDevil got a client for life. They provide the best customer experience and support I've ever had.
Highly recommend them!

GadgetinBox™ - Sports Running Jogging Adjustable Armband Gym Case Cover for iPhone 5 5G (Black)
Offered by Atomm

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed with the good quality for the price paid, 27 April 2013
I went through all reviews of arm bands at Amazon and this one was well rated. At £3.99 it was worth a try. I've just received it and I am actually impressed: it is much better than I was expecting. The finishing is good, can still control the phone through the transparent plastic, it fits inside easily (I don't have a protective case, so don't know how difficult it is to fit with a case, but assume you can always remove it). Would recommend.

Master Class Blowtorch / Professional Cook's Blowtorch
Master Class Blowtorch / Professional Cook's Blowtorch
Offered by EKS

1.0 out of 5 stars Same problem: it leaks, 30 Mar. 2013
I had the same problem as all others: had it for a few years, but after a recent refill I've realised it was leaking all the gas. Thankfully I've heard it and decided to throw it away before burning myself and the house with it.
I really cannot understand how this product is still at Amazon and elsewhere. It must be removed before someone gets seriously injured or worse.

How to Change the World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas
How to Change the World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas
by David Bornstein

1.0 out of 5 stars Pamphlet for an irresponsible organisation, 9 Sept. 2012
Before just nodding to what the book says, consider three things:
1 - Why does the organisation has one the highest staff turnovers among all NGOs?
2 - Why so many other NGOs were created after Ashoka was created and became more successful and generated greater impact?
3 - Why does the organisation insist in not having any quantitative metric to measure its efficiency other than a 1-5 scale where it asks those who received money whether they have influenced the world?
The book is a classic case of inductive logic, where a few projects are selected and a theory is born out of it. Malcolm Gladwell does it as well, but at least he has style. In the case of this book, you don't get even that.

Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea
Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea
by Guy Delisle

5.0 out of 5 stars Really clever, 30 July 2012
I've bought my first book a month ago (the one about North Korea). Two weeks later I had already bought and read all of his books. It is extraordinary that he had been to so many countries where I worked and his ability to summarise all the details of the local life in such an elegant and simple way is extraordinary. Guy is probably the best cartoonist alive.
I think this is the first book where he's comfortable with his own style (later on he'd follow the same style in Bhurma and Jerusalem). It is a great pleasure to read and to admire his art. The story itself is great and a spot on summary of life in the country.

Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City
Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City
by Guy Delisle

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 30 July 2012
Jerusalem is he largest (and latest) book, and he is able to deal with all the issues with a bottom-up view that is coherent. His drawing is becoming cleaner. Only the very essential traces are there. As Pink Floyd guys, his geniality is not only on what he includes, but on knowing what does not need to be there.

Timex Target Fitness Heart Rate Monitor Grey (Old Version)
Timex Target Fitness Heart Rate Monitor Grey (Old Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it (more than I was expecting), 30 July 2012
The watch is small (appropriate for a woman or a man with small wrist like me) and light. It is very easy to use and has a lot of functions for such a low cost watch (2 time zones + date, an alarm, a timer, a stop watch, a recovery summary screen and, obviously, the hear rate).
The strap is very narrow but seems resistent and ideal for running as it allows air circulation in the wrist.
All in all, I really like it. More than I was expecting.

Silverline 633726 Laser Infrared Thermometer -20°C to +320°C
Silverline 633726 Laser Infrared Thermometer -20°C to +320°C

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading information, 29 Mar. 2012
I bought this product because it said it was accurate to 2.5oC at Amazon's website. That's not true. Its accuracy is rather different, accordingly to its manual (the simple A4 page that comes with it):

Between 0C and 180C, the accuracy is +/-2% +2C. .
Above 180C, accuracy falls to +/-3%.
Below 0C, the accuracy deteriorates to +/-4C
(note that 'C' (Celsius) and '%' (percent) are relevant here. They do not mean the same thing!)

This means that that if it's reading 180C, it could be 185.6C, that's more than twice the inaccuracy range provided in the website. At 320C (the maximum temperature (again in the Manual)), the accuracy would be +/- 10.8C! Suddenly, you were are left with a 21C range instead of a 5C range promised in the website. At -20C, it could be -24C.

This is a massive infringement of s13(1) of the Sales of Goods Act 1979: it does not correspond to its description, and in a thermometer, accuracy is an essencial term (well, why bother buying a thermometer if you don't care about the temperature?)

If accuracy is not relevant for you, though, then go for this product: relatively affordable, really easy to use, the laser works etc. Just the reading might be very wrong (and you'll only find about it after you've open the sealed plastic box, because the manual is inside).

Silikomart Silicone Baking Mat
Silikomart Silicone Baking Mat

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price, 7 Mar. 2012
I bought this matt on the same day I bought a Cuissential SlickMat for two-thirds of the price (£13). In terms of function, they are exactly the same: great! Identical thickness and both are totally non-sticking. This one (Silkomart) is just slightly larger, but certainly not worth 50% more on the price (£19!).

Bengt EK Oven Thermometer 0-300C, Stainless Steel
Bengt EK Oven Thermometer 0-300C, Stainless Steel

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 7 Mar. 2012
It is not totally accurate (+/-10C, per what I've see, normally to less), but good enough for some home cooking.

Page: 1 | 2