Profile for alison wilson > Reviews

Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod
Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod
Offered by BestStuff UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lightweight tripod for the price., 24 Feb. 2014
I have a heavyweight Manfrotto for studio work, but it is too heavy and bulky for long distance walking.
Compact, lightweight tripods are usually very, very expensive. The Hama Mini Pro is very cheap, and I have found it to be excellent.
I'm using it as a support for a paintbox, which is much heavier than most cameras and has higher wind loading, and it is holding up well. It folds down very small, convenient for long treks.
I changed the ball head for a Neewe quick-release head, which has made it very easy to use with my paintbox which has a QR plate.
The carrying case included makes it easy to either stuff in a rucksack without catching on other items, or attach to the outside.
You can't expect a tripod this light to be as robust as a heavy studio type, but as this tripod has a downward pointing screw thread as well for using a camera below the tripod, I've been able to bolt a bracket below the tripod from which I can tie it down and the tripod has, when tied down, coped with high winds on Pennine summits when supporting a wooden paintbox + 12" x 16" board.

The Mind of the Artist - Thoughts and Sayings of Painters and Sculptors on Their Art
by Cicely Margaret Powell Binyon

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality version, useless for reference., 24 Feb. 2014
This is essentially a reference book, so a print on demand should be useable if not beautiful.

Unfortunately, as it appears to be a poor A4 OCR'd copy of the original much smaller book (not even a scan) the pagination is different, so all the index page numbers are wrong, and although there is a list of illustrations, none are reproduced. It is, therefore, pretty much useless as a reference book, and due to poor quality printing and an unsuitable typeface, is also difficult to read.
This is the first time I've ever had to return a book to Amazon. I got a full refund, but I'd advise other people not to bother with it. I've now sourced and ordered a second hand copy of the original hardback, and would advise anyone else interested in this book to do the same.

The Attenbury Emeralds: Lord Peter Wimsey's First Case
The Attenbury Emeralds: Lord Peter Wimsey's First Case
by Dorothy L Sayers

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorest sequel yet, 5 Jun. 2011
The first non-Sayers sequel was weak, the second was poor, but this one is just appalling.

If you enjoy the genuine Sayers ones, I would advise you not to bother with this one, It's unintelligent, stuffed with endless irrelevant padding, characters from the real Sayers books act completely out of character, and the new characters are completely inconsistent.

The writer displays a tin ear for dialogue which is as bad as boddice-ripper-cod-Georgian and has zero feeling for period in language or anything else, using modern jargon all over the place, attributing highly unlikely 1990s attitudes to characters and using out-of-period bad language all over the place.

The very worst aspect of the book is that the chips on the writer's shoulders, already intrusive in her earlier attempts at Sayers, in this book are so clumsy and all-pervading that they cripple the characters and warp their actions to the point where had my version not been the audio version I'd have chucked it in the bin and not finished it- something I have done only a couple of times in my life.

I would warn people who find the original characters charming, consistent, understandable and believable, and find it hard to mentally disregard sequels where their pet characters get killed off in bizarre situations in order to advance a highly unlikely plot (or end up being people you'd cross the street to avoid), not to read or listen to this book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2014 3:39 PM GMT

The Glasgow Boys
The Glasgow Boys
by Roger Billcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars More colour illustrations, 14 July 2010
This review is from: The Glasgow Boys (Hardcover)
I bought this to replace my copy of the previous edition (which was borrowed and not returned). I'm glad it took a while to get round to replacing it as it meant I got this new edition, which has many more of the illustrations in colour than the previous version. From what I have seen of the paintings (and I've seen most of them) the colour in this edition is very accurate- far better than in a lot of exhibition catalogues and books I buy.
An excellent book.

Death of a Stranger (A William Monk Mystery)
Death of a Stranger (A William Monk Mystery)
by Anne Perry

2.0 out of 5 stars Railway details, 11 Jan. 2006
Sad to say, I am unconvinced by the technical aspects of this book. The terminology for railway matters seems to be US rather than UK, which given the railway preservation societies here who would have been happy to help, is disappointing, e.g. over here firemen fire engines, stokers stoke ships. Also working proceedures on the railway, both operational and in relation to track building don't appear to me to be accurate, even with my limited knowledge.
Just as one small example, if train brakes had been applied routinely in the way she suggests they were, trains would have derailed every time out. Before the later development of continuous brakes, brakes had to be applied both in the rear of the train as well as on the locomotive, (and its tender as well, if I remember rightly). Otherwise, a train travelling at speed would have folded up like a concertina, never mind just been derailed. A suggestion that track laying was done at the time without either corruption or the use of substandard materials resulting in track failure is also rather naive.
It isn't too bad a plot in principle, but I hope no-one imagines that railways really worked like this.
I also wish the author would stop calling drawing rooms 'withdrawing rooms'.