Profile for Steven Aitchison > Reviews

Content by Steven Aitchison

Steven Aitchison "Steven Aitchison" (Scotland, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Atlantis Gene: A Thriller (The Origin Mystery, Book 1)
The Atlantis Gene: A Thriller (The Origin Mystery, Book 1)
Price: 1.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Great storyline just a little too confusing and contrived..., 7 July 2014
I so wanted to like this book, and to an extent I did.

I finished it whilst on holiday but it was one of those books where I just couldn't wait to get it finished to get it over and done with.

It was all too fast paced, nothing seemed to knit together well, and I didn't really care for any of the characters.

I know the author has listened to all the comments from this book and has taken steps to better the writing for the second book, but I don't think I will bother with the next in the series.

The major problem I had was that it was too contrived, everything came to easy to the protagonist and it all got a little too confusing.

What I liked was the idea of the book and the author is actually a good writer, just needs some tweaking which I am sure he has done for the other books in the series.

The Breaking of the Shell
The Breaking of the Shell

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story about transformation, 7 July 2014
The first half of the book is excellent: well written, well thought out and a great storyline. It actually plots the life of the protagonist in two separate stories which makes interesting reading.

However it starts to come apart in the second half of the book when it becomes a little contrived and everything comes together too easy for the protagonist.

Having said that the message in the book, the writing, and the characters are good, apart from maybe Helen, who was just a little too understanding of all the shit that her husband had put her through.

But, I really enjoyed this and the underlying message is great and I would definitely recommend this book to everyone.

Lullaby: Book Two in the Watersong Series
Lullaby: Book Two in the Watersong Series
Price: 3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first book but still well worth reading..., 17 Jun 2014
Not as good as the first book as the story seems to dip and comes to a somewhat contrived ending. However, it's a classic three act series and book 2 is obviously a part of the 2nd act, meaning it's got less oomph to it. That said, I still enjoyed the book, and am still surprised that I am enjoying the series considering that this is not a genre I read, and was bought as part of going outside my reading comfort zone.

I'll still buy the next in the series as I am invested in it now.

The characters are great, the series story is good so this is definitely a series to buy if you want something a little different from the vampire, werewolf, zombie fiction, but it will still keep you satisfied to know that you've discovered a new creature in town - A Siren.

Wake (Watersong)
Wake (Watersong)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise..., 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wake (Watersong) (Kindle Edition)
As part of my quest to go outside my reading comfort zone I decided to buy this book.

I have to say i was pleasantly surprised by it. Although the writing is a little immature in places, I recognise that the author is trying to get inside a young girls head, and speak from that POV.

Having said that the story, the characters, the pace and a little mythology thrown in made it an excellent read.

I will be buying the series and look forward to reading more from the author.

Beyond Time Travel - Exploring Our Parallel Worlds: Amazing Real Life Stories in the News (Time Travel Books Book 3)
Price: 1.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable and quick to read..., 6 Jun 2014
Actual rating would be 3.5 stars

I bought the kindle version of this book as I was doing some research for a new book I am writing on Lucid Dreaming.

I found it totally fascinating, even though most of it is based on anecdotal evidence, and it would have been better if there were more scientific studies cited.

That said, I really enjoyed it and it did give me some ideas and thoughts to play around with.

Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Publishing Book 2)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So much useful advice you can't not buy it...., 6 Jun 2014
As an author, particularly for the kindle market, this is an excellent reference book.

The author speaks the technical side of Amazon's algorithms which was very enlightening.

He also went on to explain how to make use of all the knowledge he shares in the book, and I loved the section on categories, this was a big 'a-ha' moment for me.

If you're an indie author you'll totally love this book. Thoroughly recommended.

Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (The Post-Apocalyptic Serial Thriller)
Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (The Post-Apocalyptic Serial Thriller)
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start to the series..., 6 Jun 2014
I have been listening to Sean, David and Johnny on their podcast 'The Self Publishing Podcast' and find them entertaining, knowledgeable and very funny. So I decided to try one of their books and this one appealed to me the most.

It had me hooked from the opening chapter and the whole premise seems to stem from a Stephen King 'what if.....' thought. In this case, what if 99.9% of the population just vanished overnight.

The opening episode follows a group of people at the moment they realise the population has vanished and how some of them come together to try and figure out what the hell is going on. Although this book is mainly about the characters, it's an important introduction to the series, so can't figure why the negs are so down on it.

The characters are what drive this opening book, and you'll find you hate some characters and like others, but that's life. Didn't like one in particular and thought he was just too far right of edgy to enjoy reading about. Having said that this book made me want to purchase the series to find out what's next, so the authors have done their job and done it well.

Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore
Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore
Price: 4.19

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good book that draws you in from the start, 6 Jun 2014
This was a really delightful book to read. The author sucks you in immediately and constantly has you asking questions and wondering what is the bookshop all about.

It has a great blend of history and technology, which was a great way of showing how we can use the two together to further our understanding of the past.

I thought it was really intelligently written and funny at times, with great little thought quips from the main protagonist.

The only area that I didn't like is when the main puzzle wasn't solved at Google, there was another one to solve, before the main puzzle could finally be solved, and it made it drag on more than it should have. However, there was no other real way to deal with this.

All in all a great little book and one I would definitely recommend.

Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars One of only 4 Resources You'll Ever Need to Write and Self Publish, 8 May 2014
I have written several non fiction books but I have been an aspiring fiction author for over 30 years, I've even started writing books and binned them after 40,000 words or so as the task just seemed too daunting. After reading this book I really got fired up to write again and am already up to 10,000 words on my first serialized fiction novel.

What made the difference?

For one, the guys Johnny B Truant, Sean Platt and David Wright all write serialized novels i.e. They write a six or nine book series of books, each one self contained, so they're really novellas. They also write full length novels, but to me writing serialized novels just made so much sense and gave me that feeling of 'I can do this' instead of thinking 'Jeez, 120,000 words is just too much'.

The section on story beats really made it for me though. Again it was like an 'a-ha' moment and really pushed the book I'm writing forward. It sounds like a really simple idea but truly it is a really powerful idea.

They also go into the marketing of your book which every author should know about, but they do it in such a way that it's genuine heart marketing: reaching your fans in a genuine and honest way.

The business of writing is also covered which is just great.

I said this was one of four resources you need, here are all four:

1. This book
2. Stephen King's 'On Writing' book - I have read this 5 times over the last few years.
3. Scrivener (Amazing must have tool for all writers)
4. The Self Publishing Podcast (A video and audio podcast by the guys who wrote this book. It is funny, smart and just bloody amazing with some fantastic information for indie authors)

If you're into writing and willing to put in the work required this book and the resources above will definitely get you there.

The Healthy Smoothie Bible: Lose Weight, Detoxify, Fight Disease, and Live Long
The Healthy Smoothie Bible: Lose Weight, Detoxify, Fight Disease, and Live Long
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally loved this...., 24 April 2014
I had read and used the authors other book 'The Healthy Juicers Bible' which helped me clear me from the inside out,as well as helping me to lose 20Ibs :)

I always thought that smoothies weren't as good for you as pure juices, but I now realise that's not necessarily the case.

I love the recipes, the way the author talks in a candid way about diet in general and her advice on the different types of blenders. Choosing the right blender was my biggest dilemma and I now have a much better understanding about the blender I should have. I have a blender already, but it's maybe not as good as other ones out there.

Okay, off to make my third smoothie, this time It'll be more green :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4