Profile for Gareth Gadd > Reviews

Content by Gareth Gadd

Gareth Gadd (Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Orzly® - DuoStand Charge Station for Apple Watch & iPhone - Aluminium Desk Stand Cradle in SILVER with Built-In Insert Slots for both Grommet Wireless Charger and Lightning Cable for use as a fully functional Charging Dock for both your Apple Watch & iPhone Simultaneously - Fits iPhone Models: 5 / 5S / 5C / 6 / 6 PLUS and both 42mm & 38mm sizes of 2015 Watch Models (Original BASIC Model / SPORT Version / and EDITION Models)
Offered by G-Hub

Love Tree Products Nut Milk Bag - Best Premium Quality Almond Milk Strainer Including Free Recipe E Book - Large Food Grade Reusable Super Strong Fine Nylon Mesh Bag - Smooth Milks & Juices Every Time With A No Risk 100% Money Back Guarantee.
Offered by LoveTree Products

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - seemed expensive but has not let me down., 7 Dec. 2014
Strong well thought out design. Have used this most days since I bought it and it is still doing well.

Le Veneziane Gluten Free Tagliatelle 250 g (Pack of 4)
Le Veneziane Gluten Free Tagliatelle 250 g (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best GF pasta I have tried, 7 Dec. 2014
Bought this from Waitrose and have been very very impressed. As a recent gluten sufferer I can still remember "real" pasta and this is almost indistinguishable. Have had to put up with some truly dreadful big brand pasta to date and this pasta beats them all.

My family like my cooking but if I'm serving anything that is accompanied by pasta then it usually is further accompanied by a groan. Not any more!

IBS - Free at Last! Second Edition: Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet
by Patsy Catsos MS RD LD

5.0 out of 5 stars Without question the best book on IBS, 30 May 2014
Only a handful of recipes - most of the book is a sensible review and summary of research on IBS. Really sensible and very well put to gather. Highly recommend it.

The FODMAP Solution: A Low FODMAP Diet Plan and Cookbook to Manage IBS and Improve Digestion
by Shasta Press

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 30 May 2014
I think this is a book cashing-in on the Monash research. If you have a smartphone download the App - its more useful.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2014 8:13 PM GMT

Cooking Without
Cooking Without
by Barbara Cousins

4.0 out of 5 stars Some of the advice seems a little dated but the recipes are OK, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Cooking Without (Paperback)
Have tried some of the recipes - I have had to add more herbs and spices to my taste - but they are good basics that you can adapt. It is pre low-FODMAP but you don't have to follow these recipes slavishly. All in all some great ideas that have helped me adjust my cooking to cope with my digestive problems.

Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-The-Go Food for Athletes
Feed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-The-Go Food for Athletes
by Biju Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book, 30 May 2014
I had been looking at something to help since my digestion went haywire last year. I still want to run and cycle long distances but I just can't tolerate the sweet gels or sugary drinks. The answer is real food. But what to make and how much to take? I've read a heap of books and articles and many pointed to this book The price put me off at first but in the end i took the plunge.

This is without doubt the best book I've read on athlete nutrition. The recipes are excellent and I've already started to adapt them for my own tastes and add a few of my own.

p.s. the book recommends wrapping your portable food in parchment foil - there really is no substitute. You can get it from Lakeland.

Simply Gluten Free: Rita Greer's Helpful Kitchen Handbook
Simply Gluten Free: Rita Greer's Helpful Kitchen Handbook
by Rita Greer

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this book, 8 Jan. 2014
As a recent sufferer of gluten intolerance I have been drawn into that sad place of having to cook (and avoid eating) excluding wheat, barley, rye and oats and all the things they are added to. In a western country that is challenging as many who read this review will know (otherwise why would you want to?).

I so wanted to like this book as I have been reading lots of GF recipes and this book is sensibly written. I even agree with the author on lack of photos of food. What drew me to the book was the flour recipe (RG77) which led me to the assumption that Rita is an experimenter and this was her 77th attempt to get something really satisfying - and (therefore) obviously knows what she is doing. To be fair baking can be more art than science - but GF baking is definitely more science than art. The two things I have baked from this book were very disappointing - the soda bread was like eating a small tortoise (soft and squidgy in the middle and rock hard on the outside) and some biscuits I made from the same flour were pretty much inedible and I threw them away. A few of the other recipes had mistakes in them as well.

All in all I was very disappointed with this book. I like the writing style but it should have been proof-read better and some of the recipes need more research.

A shame.

Jump Start Your Gluten-Free Diet! Living with Celiac / Coeliac Disease & Gluten Intolerance

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick overview - easily understood, 10 Dec. 2013
Short and informative book. Recently developed a wheat intolerance which I just found that for me also covers barley (beer!) and so am to be tested for coeliac. Didn't enjoy reading about potential medical procedures - but at least I know now.

Recipes are good but for me not necessary because I'm proficient enough to make things up given a few ingredients. In fact, I am not a fan of processed food so it's not a great hardship switching to a full gluten free diet - it just makes shopping quite hard for some prepacked ingredients.

A bit too US centric for me so lost a star but all in all a great place to start and a very quick read.

Back of the Napkin: Solving problems and selling ideas with pictures
Back of the Napkin: Solving problems and selling ideas with pictures
by Dan Roam

5.0 out of 5 stars The best business book I've read this year, 18 Oct. 2013
Initially I was disappointed with my purchase - the text is quite small and its a slow starting book. However I am glad I continued to read it - and finished it in an evening (with a very late finish). It contains some simple but powerful advice. I have used it with clients and it has worked well for me - both in structuring sessions and guiding folk through a thought process, One of the more useful books which I will keep on my bookshelf.

Page: 1 | 2