Profile for Alister > Reviews

Official Bootleg 2011
Official Bootleg 2011
Price: 7.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Wolverhampton, December 1st 2012, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Official Bootleg 2011 (Audio CD)
Concert Live is a company that works with many bands to (officially) release that evening's concert: their CDRs are available at the end of the gig for collection, if pre-ordered, or thereafter through their website.

From Heep's 'Into The Wild' Tour 2012 Concert Live recorded just the one concert, and this is it. Concert Live tend to release the titles in a generic sleeve, and add a sticker with venue and date. My copy of this has no sticker, and nowhere on the packaging does it give ANY details of venue, or date, and this release is no longer mentioned on the C/L website. However, a) I remember C/L announcing it and b) Bernie confirms it to be Wolverhampton Wulfrun Hall, that concert taking place on December 1st 2012. Where this release now improves upon former C/L releases is that these are CDs, not Cdrs: more durable, and less prone to reproduction errors.

In 2009 Concert Live released three Heep concerts, from Salzburg, Bad Rappenau, and Krufeld. Unfortunately, Bad Rappenau and Krufeld each had problems. Presumably after a number of complaints, and despatch of replacement CDRs with similar errors, Concert Live went so far as to add this to their website: "Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond our control there are a couple of small drop outs of sound on the Bad Rappenau and Krefeld live CDs. We are confident that these won't spoil your enjoyment of the albums, but just wanted to make you aware before you purchase." Many of us HAD purchased them. They are not drop-outs such as we get with tapes, and sound like the buffering errors often experienced when burning a CDR. Whatever, Salzburg had no problems and is the only one of the three still available on the C/L website.

Back to this release. SQ is very good, although the bass frequencies are somewhat muddy. Certainly enjoyable, even if not as good sonically as the best of the "even-more-official-'official-bootlegs'" that Heep have been releasing lately.

Correct tracklist is as follows (some tracks have been mistitled on the sleeve):
1) I'm Ready 2) Return To Fantasy 3) Stealin' 4) Rainbow Demon 5) Money Talk 6) Drum solo/ Nail On The Head CD2 1) The Wizard 2) Into The Wild 3) Gypsy 4) Look At Yourself 5) July Morning 6) Free 'n' Easy 7) Easy Livin'
No 'Lady In Black'? Has this been edited out or was it not played? I strongly suspect the former: can anyone confirm?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2012 12:12 AM BST

Singles And The Videos, The [11cd + DVD]
Singles And The Videos, The [11cd + DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Crackle, crackle on my favourite track! However, worth having at the right price., 20 April 2012
I bought this partly for the promo vids, but mostly for the single edit of 'No Laughing In Heaven', which is not officially available on CD elsewhere AFAIK. It was my brother's frequent playing of that EP that first led me to check out Gillan (the band), all those years ago. Consequently, I was especially disappointed to hear vinyl crackles and pops on this track. Presumably the original master is AWOL, but I'm sure they could have improved on this, or used another vinyl copy. It's not terrible, but it is noticeable without listening out for it. (I have not listened to the other tracks, as they were on the remastered album releases.)

The sleeves do not contain the extras one often had with Gillan singles, but they are well-reproduced - some 'singles collections' lift their artwork from such battered examples that ring-wear, creases and tears are reproduced. MY vinyl singles do not look that way...

Official Bootleg Vol. 2: Live In Budapest, Hungary 2010
Official Bootleg Vol. 2: Live In Budapest, Hungary 2010
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality lets it down, 11 Dec 2011
We now have 8 Heep 'official bootlegs', including the four 'Concert Live' issues. These releases basically take the concert as recorded on the mixing-desk ('soundboard' to our transatlantic cousins) and have little, if ANY, treatment thereafter. This is why they are termed 'official bootlegs', as they are released with the consent of the band but with no studio jiggery-pokery, which keeps the cost down.

I have to say this Budapest title sounds more like a bootleg in the usual acceptance of the term, coming over as a VG audience recording, as the sound is muffled, lacking bite and high-end clarity. Come to that, even Trevor's bass is muddy. If you like all-things-Heep then this is still worth having, but if you wish simply to have one of these OBs, I'd steer clear of this, and opt for 'Vol IV - Live In Brisbane Australia'.

I appreciate Heep are, not unnaturally, promoting the current line-up, but it would be grand if they could raid the radio-station archives at some point in the future, as many a band has: there are a couple of tasty Pete Goalby-era broadcasts deserving of an official release.

Casting the Runes [1979] [DVD]
Casting the Runes [1979] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward Petherbridge
Price: 8.05

4.0 out of 5 stars No, it's not 'Night of the Demon', but it's still enjoyable., 12 Sep 2011
Broadcast in April 1979, and filmed in the winter of 1978, this adaptation makes good use of snowy locations in Leeds and the surrounding area. Transposing the MR James story to a modern setting works well, and the cast is solid. Whilst we can trust Network to have used the best source available, the transfer is a little grainy in places, and there is some occasional background hiss and hum, but the dialogue is never less than clear. The unsettling incidental music is effective, although I would have preferred it to have been reined in at times, myself. 'Night of the Demon' is one of my favourite films, and although this adaptation shall never displace it in my affections, I'm certainly pleased to have bought it. There have been several TV adaptations of James' stories, and it is pleasing to still be able to buy one, at least, at a reasonable price.

Accidentally On Purpose
Accidentally On Purpose
Price: 8.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Time has been kind to it, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Accidentally On Purpose (Audio CD)
Released in 1988, and bought by me soon after it hit the shelves, this side-project of Messrs Gillan and Glover has aged well, I would say. Despite the use of synths, played in the '80s style, there is enough instrumentation, particularly brass, to prevent the sound being rooted in that decade. Naughty of this reissue to claim 'Cayman Island', 'Purple People Eater', and 'Chet' as bonus tracks, because they WERE on the original CD issue, being bonus only to the vinyl and cassette versions. For those who had yet to get a CD player, those tracks were B-sides to singles lifted from the album. They are my least favourite tracks on the CD, but it was nice to have them there.

Gillan and Glover never toured the album, but I did catch them perform 'Dislocated' and 'Via Miami' on Channel 4's 'Friday Night Live', and Gillan played 'I Thought No' during his subsequent, enforced hiatus from Purple. I prefer this, as a whole, to Gillan's subsequent solo works, to be honest: give it a try.

Operation Valkyrie [DVD]
Operation Valkyrie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sebastian Koch
Price: 4.97

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish the filmakers had been allowed an extra 30 mins, 5 July 2011
This review is from: Operation Valkyrie [DVD] (DVD)
As mentioned above, this is a good film (well, TVM) for those who know the facts, but those who do not are better-served by 'Valkyrie', with Tom Cruise, as the latter explains the mechanics of the intended coup very well. That said, with this also being well-acted it is certainly worth 90 minutes of your time, although a minimum of an extra 30 mins would have been helpful in the telling of this story. The DVD quality is grainy in the background of shots, which is distracting at first, but the story soon drew me in. There are no extras, but one has the option of German with English subtitles, or with English overdubbing (some of which is by the cast). Whilst I do prefer my BD of 'Valkyrie', at this price, 'Operation Valkyrie' is a steal.

Scorpions: Amazonia - Live In The Jungle [DVD] [2009]
Scorpions: Amazonia - Live In The Jungle [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Scorpions
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My advice is to get this., 9 April 2010
Scorpions played some concerts in Brazil to help highlight awareness of the destruction of the Amazon rainforest, and the footage here is culled from two of the shows.

The 'main feature' is 64 minutes of the September 7th 2008 concert in Recife, Brazil; whether this was the whole show or a highlights package I don't know. (It may even have originally been a TV broadcast, but I'm guessing here, TBH.) 13 tracks, with first-rate sound and video. The band are in excellent form, needless to say.

There are two bonus features. There is a 24 minute, 5-track selection from the concert in Manaus, Brazil, August 9th 2007. Whilst it too has excellent sound, it is not of the same quality visually as the Recife show. It is still decent, although not as sharp, but it is spoilt somewhat by a rather manic editing of shots: rarely does the camera linger on anything, which makes the whole thing frustrating for me.

The second bonus feature is a 4 minute documentary, in German with subtitles, made with Greenpeace and featuring the Scorps. It is basically explaining why the band were doing the shows and is interesting, if not essential.

Electrically Driven
Electrically Driven
Offered by arwd
Price: 24.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-worth getting., 22 Mar 2010
This review is from: Electrically Driven (Audio CD)
The 'official bootleg' of Heep's show at London's Astoria, March 23 2001. With a RT of one hour it is clearly an edit of the concert itself and it's a shame the CD wasn't 'filled-up': for this I reluctantly drop a star. One of several live releases by the band in the early 2000s, but each offers something a little different and this is no exception, being well-recorded, although I'd have preferred the drums to have been a bit higher in the mix.

Tull's Ian Anderson makes a guest appearance on 'Blind Eye'; he had previously guested at Heep's acoustic show at the Mermaid Theatre, London, on December 9th 2000 (see the 'Acoustically Driven' CD and DVD).

Live in Europe 1979
Live in Europe 1979
Price: 70.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture and tracklist do not tally., 20 Mar 2010
This review is from: Live in Europe 1979 (Audio CD)
The tracklist here shown by Amazon does not relate to the version pictured, which was the first CD release for 'Live In Europe 1979'. Far from featuring 'extra tracks', this edition has 13 and dropped 'Who Needs Me?' from the 2LP vinyl version, undoubtedly for timing purposes. This edition, Castle Communications RAWCD30, is now deleted.

So, musically it's five stars but due to that dropped track this edition gets three stars; the remastered and expanded version is the one to go for and I give that the full five stars.

Celebration - Deluxe Edition
Celebration - Deluxe Edition
Price: 17.28

4.0 out of 5 stars This Deluxe Edition has a 7 track, 45 minute DVD..., 25 Feb 2010
...which Amazon hasn't made clear on their product description. The CD and DVD are housed in a digipak, with a booklet which I should imagine is identical to the regular edition. I don't care for digipaks, myself, as a) I can't store them in my CD rack (!) and b) in many of those bought years ago the glue has now dried out so much that that they are starting to fall apart at the seams. However, I wanted the DVD so...

The CD has two excellent new tracks plus studio reworkings of Byron- and Lawton-era songs from the back catalogue. I am so used to hearing Bernie Shaw sing these that the CD sits very comfortably with me, although some may wonder why the band felt the need to do this. I don't know for certain, but it may be an easy way to cut through rights-ownership red-tape, as well as showcasing the current line-up. Besides which, if you wish to hear the originals there are a many compilations out there, as well as the studio albums, now all at very nice prices. As those old ads used to say, 'Why not collect them all?'!

The DVD is great fun. Recorded at Heep's 2009 Sweden Rock appearance, it is clearly edited highlights. I have some niggles with the camerawork (eg being focused too close to the fretboard in places, when they could have pulled back another foot or two) but hey, what do I know of video-editing. What I DO know is Heep's back-catalogue; this DVD is basically a live 'early greatest hits' and I do wish they'd included some other tracks. There are no songs post-Byron and it would have been great to have at least a track or two originally recorded with Bernie Shaw or Phil Lanzon. Or, for that matter, Trevor Bolder. For this, I dock a star. This may seem harsh, given that it IS a bonus disc, but it's my review, so there. The imminent CD of 'Live At Sweden Rock Festival' has 9 tracks and does redress the balance with two tracks from the band's latest album, 'Wake The Sleeper'.

Anyway, staunch fans are often the most critical and if you're wondering, is it worth buying this, I still say yes, most definitely!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2011 3:12 PM BST