Profile for a badly positioned hole near centre of chariot wheel > Reviews

Content by a badly positi...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 858

a badly positioned hole near centre of chariot wheel "moesy pittounikos" (Liverpool, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Faust: Part One (Wonders of the World S.): Pt.1
Faust: Part One (Wonders of the World S.): Pt.1
by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

3.0 out of 5 stars a nice straight English version, 4 Feb. 2016
Randall Jarrell says that all previous Faust's have been in a ridiculous poetic form, and people don't speak like that, ergo, his translation will be a great improvement!

But imagine if I said the same thing about Shakespeare or Alexander Pope? Ill be laughed out of town. People don't speak like that but the point is it is epic poetry. It's suppose to elevate consciousness.

I've read most of Jerrell's translation and even though it is smooth and very readable, it is missing something. Goethe is considered the genius poet but reading this version, I can't detect genius. I want epic poetry rather than journalism English.

Your Head In The Tigers Mouth by Ramesh S. Balsekar (1999-03-01)
Your Head In The Tigers Mouth by Ramesh S. Balsekar (1999-03-01)
by Ramesh S. Balsekar; Blayne Bardo; Ramesh S. Balsekar;

4.0 out of 5 stars not very god-like but still great!, 4 Feb. 2016
So many people pretend to be jnani's but they are not even in the league of a Ramesh Balsekar, the great pretender.

Ramesh's Consciousness Speaks is excellent, I really enjoy it. This Tiger was published some 5 years later and, I confess, I found the layout in the first book better but this later book is still fine.

Also, this book is much more devotional than Consciousness Speaks. There are gushing letters from devotees from around the world. These letters read very well indeed and I enjoyed them. There is even a chapter pointing out the advaita passages from the Bhagavad Gita.

The funny thing about Ramesh is that people accused him of being a conman but he clearly says himself that he isn't in the state of Nisargadatta Maharaj or Ramana Maharshi.

To me, Ramesh comes across as a super intelligent man. Now if he was pulling the wool over the eyes, he would say 'I am Parabrahman' or he would say 'I see the dream whilst you dream', like Nisargadatta said or he will refer to himself as satchitananda like Ramana Maharshi did.

Nisargadatta Maharaj and Ramana Maharshi are full of profound utterances that you would expect from one who's ego is gone, gone beyond, beyond gone, SVAHA, SVAHA Gone! Gone! Gone! Beyond even the Beyond, into full enlightenment!

In I Am That, Nisargadatta sounds like the Buddha or Jesus. He sounds like the One. I'm aware that Maurice Frydman wrote that classic and when you read it you are hearing the voice from the upanishads, the voice from the gospel of Thomas, the voice from the Source.

Now if Ramesh Balsekar was the charlatan people say he is, then he could easily say profound things or he could just be silent. But he doesn't. I find he's a great intellect and his explanation on determinism is better than Sam Harris. His books are very academic and this gives us a clue. Ramesh clings onto determinism for dear life and he keep saying 'all is consciousness' when confronted with a hard ball, and he hasn't the fidelity of Nisargadatta Maharaj nor has be the poetic and mystical drive of a Maurice Frydman or Ramana Maharshi.

So overall his books are definitely worth checking out. Ramesh was in the inner circle of Nisargadatta Maharaj and I don't think he's a conman. It is just that the Westerners wanted him the be a jnani.

Your Head In The Tigers Mouth
Your Head In The Tigers Mouth
by Ramesh S Balsekar

4.0 out of 5 stars he doesn't sound like God but he's still great!, 4 Feb. 2016

Time for the Wind
Time for the Wind
by Dennis Waite

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful!, 3 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Time for the Wind (Paperback)
I enjoyed this novel and, if like me, if you are a fan of Dennis Waite's books, you will like this. There are many twists and turns that will take the reader by surprise.

Dennis Waite is a very skilled writer.

A. B. C. - Alphabetization of the Popular Mind [ ABC ]
A. B. C. - Alphabetization of the Popular Mind [ ABC ]
by Ivan Illich

5.0 out of 5 stars an obvious masterpiece, 3 Feb. 2016
Ivan Illich and Barry Sanders have written a Marshal Mkluhane'sque piece. It is a highly literate book. The history of human consciousness is in here. One wonders why it isn't more well known? Illich cuts the reader no slack. He throws the reader in the deep end. There is an excellent audio by Terence McKenna on Marshal Mkluhan online. That's an excellent introduction to this strange avenue of human thought.

Dancing with the Void: The Innerstandings of a Rare-born Mystic
Dancing with the Void: The Innerstandings of a Rare-born Mystic

5.0 out of 5 stars white gods, 31 Jan. 2016
Miguel Serrano is a hard nut to crack. In his travels through India, Serrano meets many swami's and mystics. A mystic himself, Miguel Serrano sees through the pantomime.

However, in one seen, Serrano writes that Sunyata walks through the door, with his little dog, and Miguel Serrano innerstands. Miguel Serrano says that a great Emptiness was there. Sunyata, or the brother of silence, communicated in silence, like Ramana Maharshi.

Here, ladies and gentleman, is One born enlightened and we are very lucky to have a book like this. This book is a treasure of wisdom. The funny thing is, when Sunyata mentions Ramana Maharshi, there isn't the reverence and the bringing out of the handkerchief. Rather, when Sunyata mentions Sri Ramana Maharshi, it is on an equal footing. After all, the jnani sees no difference, for all is One.

The child within us lives!
The child within us lives!
by William Samuel

5.0 out of 5 stars a true sage who danced with Ramana Maharshi!, 28 Jan. 2016
It's hard reviewing this book. There is no 'look at me, I'm the enlightened guy' narrative like we find in most other show off books. You are thrown into the deep end instead.

William Samuel, from what I gather, was a real guy who killed people, witnessed people getting killed, lived it up with the Chinese and sat in the Great Silence. Not many Westerners got the opportunity to sit in the Great Silence.

William Samuel didn't even brag that he sat with Ramana Maharshi and that's impressive. Nisargadatta has spawned a gaggle of ex students who today publish show off books and claim they too are masters! William Samuel sat in silence with the Maharshi and he kept his mouth shut. Those who know do not speak!

So this book is a thick book of the mans musings on all things spiritual. There is much deepness going on in here and if I didn't know who it was, I would probably lose stamina. But when you know that this William Samuel was authentic, then you are kept interested.

There is much Gospel of Thomas in here and I think the child within is reference to something Jesus said in the Gospel.

So overall, here we have an authentic sage so the book is a must for all seekers!

Consciousness Speaks
Consciousness Speaks
by Ramesh S Balsekar

5.0 out of 5 stars my double character, 17 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Consciousness Speaks (Paperback)
Because of my double character, the immortal noumenon (atman) and the phenomenon (body), it should be possible to be conscious of myself in myself, and independently of any objects. I should be able to look within and see the deathless state.

I simple cannot look within because as soon as I try and wish for once to know myself fully, I fall into a bottomless void, I find myself like a hollow glass globe, from the emptiness of which a voice speaks. But the cause of this voice is not to be found in the globe, and since I want to know myself, I grasp with a shudder nothing but a wavering and empty ghost.

Pain, Sex, and Time: A New Outlook on Evolution and the Future of Man (Provenance Editions)
by Gerald Heard

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Mystic!, 15 Jan. 2016
Gerald Heard spoke of a mysterious juggler doing the flipping and tricking civilisation into believe that material reality is a solid. The juggler has put most people in a trance state. Heard says, "The life force is like a juggler; it is always contriving that we shall watch the hand with which the trick is not being done. When we look back, we often discover that it was the symptom we were studying, not the cause". The symptom we are studying is the false solidity of progress. The cause is the illusive thing we can't see, the invisible thing we can't put into concepts or worlds, because the juggler is juggling faster and faster, so fast, that, it's making the blurred thing seem as if it was solid and real.

Science is the juggler, juggling so fast that the spinning sticks become blurry and look solid, when, in reality, the solidity is an illusion.

James Clark Maxwell had an inkling of the illusion of the universe when he went and sat in church on Sundays. Even though Maxwell was the towering genius who unified the forces, he knew that it was the Matrix he was working within, not the real. Why sit in church if you're a hard-nosed materialist? Maxwell went to church because only the genius can sense the force at work. Lesser minds, your average Dawkins and Steve Weinberg's, who make such a show is claiming to know everything, make do with scientific materialism and nothing. But the cream, your Erwin Schrodingers, Maxwell's and Einstein's, who also worship scientific materialism, but who sensed the force at play, had the inkling that something is not quite right, that there is a glitch in the Matrix, so to speak. This is why they believed in 'more to life' but still worked within the illusion.

Interestingly, the man and woman on the street also have an intuition that there is something else. We all say 'there must be more'! So the top genius' and the bottom dregs are thinking alike. It's the middle rung academic and career scientist who is blocked in material cartilage, working on science like the robots work on the Matrix. For these automatics, they building, they erect fantastic monuments to progress, but conclude that is the only reality. This is as naÔve as believing that the finger tips are the source of metaphysical conjecture, and that nothing can exist outside of my imagination.

Unbeknown to the scientist, science has turned into the juggler. The faster you juggle, the sticks get blurry, like when you spin a firework sparkler very fast it makes a circle. The circle looks very solid, but it is an illusion. Science is like the juggler, juggling so fast that the spinning sticks become very blurry and appear solid, when, in reality, the solidity is an illusion.
Within the illusion, all we do is chase appearances to infinity, moving without an end or a goal, like a squirrel on a wheel, until tired at last, whether on top or bottom, we stop at some random point and want people to respect us for it.

Life's Pilgrimage Through The Gita
Life's Pilgrimage Through The Gita
by Swami Muni Narayana Prasad -

5.0 out of 5 stars Living in the Matrix, 12 Jan. 2016
This commentary by Swami Muni Narayana Prasad forces you to see death as the great illusion. I feel elevated when reading the works of this swami. Truly this book will be an Upanishad for those with ears to hear.

There may be more popular versions of the Bhagavad Gita out there, but there is a downside to popular spirituality. You are destined to die, popularity doesn't offer a solution, this book does!

Swami Muni Narayana Prasad is writing this for the common folk to enjoy. Historically, only the brahmin was qualified to peel away the cobwebs of our material world to grasp what was really meant by the Bhagavad Gita and all serious spirituality. This isn't the case today. today many serious Swami's, such as Swami Muni Narayana Prasad are attempting to communicate the message to those who want to hear.

Swami Muni Narayana Prasad writes that where the masses had karma and reincarnation, the sage had the Truth. I will now write the Truth. This is the real Secret which was hidden because it was believed that the philosophical lightness of the song won't easily float to the surface. The communication of ideas within the Truth requires a similitude of thought and language: the lightness of what God speaks can only be held in the head of the sophisticate, as the discourse of God would vibrate without effect on the ear of the peasant. How minuscule is the human intellect, especially that of a peasant, when compared to the language of God?

I offer a communion for you and I, for I is the ecstasy, I is the modern revelation, I is the commentary which renders death an illusion.

Swami Muni Narayana Prasad writes that people who believe in reincarnation and individual karma have made a mistake in taking the unreal (this universe) for the real (Brahman). Why do you want to be reborn when the world isn't true? The Swami argues that world is the Matrix.

So I don't need to strive to build up my karma for the next re-birth because I will definitely return to Brahman, the real. The real is the ultimate ecstasy, satchitananda. Jnani's realize this is this life, but when we die, we get there too.

Some may ask, if Truth-Bliss is next door, so to speak, and there's no rebirth, and no individual Karma, but only bliss when we drop the body, then why not kill ourselves today? If this birth in matter is the mistake and we deluding ourselves by taking life to be real, then why not take the fast track back to Truth-Bliss?

What's the point in striving when we know that when we drop the body, we go home to the ocean of blish which has no shore because it is infinite? The ocean is a wonder, it is this universe that is the trick, the sensual poison. This is what the real master say.

What's the use is spiritual practice when we are all guaranteed to win the lottery anyway?

Swami Muni Narayana Prasad writes that the belief in individual karma was meant as a moral code, a divine punishment for the ignorant people. Ignorant people need some sort of guidance.

However, I don't think this is a good explanation as to why the sages of the Upanishads will insert passages that suggest reincarnation and karma. From my reading, it looks like the divine lottery is being kept secret so as to stop the millions committing suicide.

You see, if you told an ignoramous that he will win a million dollars when he turns 60, then he will never work or struggle. The ignorant will just slouch around, waiting to grow old, to get the prize. So the truth must be kept secret. Only the brahmins know the real truth of the bliss awaiting. Thus you keep people alive by telling them about personal karma and that they will suffer a horrible re-birth if they do bad things in the Matrix.

So this popular idea of punishment via individual karma and a belief in individual reincarnation is there to stop people killing themselves. I mean, they will commit suicide if they knew the bliss awating.

Here is a quote from Meditations with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, "The moment of death is the most blissful of all. There is nothing else to gain in this world except death. The irony is that where there is fear of death, at that very point is the ocean of bliss" (p. 64).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20