Profile for Jenna @ SewHappyGeek > Reviews

Content by Jenna @ SewHap...

Jenna @ SewHappyGeek (Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom)

Blood on the Cobbles: A Victorian True-Murder Casebook
Blood on the Cobbles: A Victorian True-Murder Casebook

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Third Book!!!!, 25 July 2014
So glad Grahame Farrell has written another book! This one is as suberbly written as his last two and I loved it so much I stayed up till 2am to finish it! I'm now rereading it slowly to properly appreciate it. I would definitely recommend this to any true crime fans - each story is concise with some great analysis and it is such a relief to read a true crime writer who can really write!

2014 Serial Killers True Crime Anthology: Volume I (Annual Serial Killers Anthology)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Insight Into Criminals, 16 Mar 2014
I enjoyed this anthology so much I actually went back and reread it. The introduction by Peter Vronsky is as good as you'd expect if you've read his other books on serial killers. It discusses the biological and environmental factors which contribute to the formation of a serial killer - how the intertwining of sex and violence takes place deep within the brain and is essentially irreversible.

The profiles were fascinating and some of them were murderers I've not heard of before. The full story of Mary Bell's horrific upbringing and her egregious mother gave me a new understanding of her impulse to act out homicidally.

I realise some may be upset by the images but I read the kindle edition and you have to actually go the the website to see them so they're optional. I wasn't upset by the images at all. Don't get me wrong; they're awful and I don't enjoy them but after all, I did elect to read about these horrific crimes, and seeing the real terror these murderers leave behind is an aspect of their crimes. I definitely recommend this and hope they continue the series. I also look forward to Vronsky's new book.

Contemporary Upholstery: Techniques and Inspiration for Upstyling your Furniture
by Hannah Stanton

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - extremely informative and great illustrations, 28 Oct 2013
I love the format – it’s a lot like taking a class. The tools are explained very clearly and pictured. I also appreciated the clear descriptions of techniques. And of the fabrics – it was fascinating AND she’s very good about telling you which fabrics are appropriate for what jobs. I was a little worried I might need to replace the webbing in my project chair and was a little freaked out that I wouldn’t be able to figure it out, but Hannah seriously knows what she’s talking about, and the illustrations are so clear I stopped worrying about what I might find underneath the seat cover. The book was extremely clear about what to do (and in what order). Even if you need to strip a piece down entirely and set it back up - springs, stuffing, everything - the book shows you how to do that.

If you have been wondering whether you’ve got what it takes to turn that dumpy chair into a masterpiece, I recommend giving Reupholstery and this book a go.

The pictures of the chair I reupholstered are on SewHappyGeek.co.uk, as is my full review.

Contigo Aria Autoseal Stainless Steel Mug - 600 ml - Grey/Orange
Contigo Aria Autoseal Stainless Steel Mug - 600 ml - Grey/Orange
Offered by Gizoo - Gadgets & Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth it, 28 Oct 2013
This is the third Contigo cup we've bought - one for each of us in the family. My daughter uses her for tea in the morning on the bus. She's figured out it you push the button a few times to let the excess steam out, the tea cools down enough to be enjoyed fairly quickly. Hubs and I use ours for ice water and it definitely keeps cold drinks cold. If i do drink a hot drink in it, I run it through the dishwasher before drinking water out of it again because I can always smell old tea or coffee. I seriously recommend them. They last for ages, and the stainless steel non coloured ones are totally dishwasher safe. Brilliant product.

25 Ways to Sew Jelly Rolls, Layer Cakes & Charm Packs: Modern Quilt Projects from Contemporary Pre-cuts

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Impressive Designs!, 12 Oct 2013
I was so pleased to get my hands on a copy of this book - Fat Quarterly e-mag is very well known in the online quilt world for its new, refreshing designs and approach to quilting. I'd say this approach has extended quite well to print, too. The designs are fun and really make me want to get stitching and use up some of this fabric I've been stashing! There's a nice mix - a few very large quilts, smaller lap size quilts, on down to bags and small accessories. The techniques are explained extremely well, and although it's a precut book, there's a super useful section in the beginning to help you calculate how to use those fat quarters or larger cuts you've got stashed away.

So even if you've already got fabrics you want to use, and don't want to buy precuts, you can still easily figure out how much you'll need and how to cut it using the information and diagrams. I don't know why all precut books don't do this - quilters primarily stash in fat quarters (because they're cheaper than buying precuts all the time!) and we like to use our stash so we have a reason to buy more.

I would really recommend this book - if you're looking for impressive yet simple designs, you'll love this book. If you're looking for ways to use precuts in new, ingenious ways, I definitely recommend it!

Jen Excell
[...]

NiQuitin Minis Mint 4mg Lozenges 3x20 Pack
NiQuitin Minis Mint 4mg Lozenges 3x20 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 24 Feb 2013
I've been using these for a couple of years or so, after smoking steadily for nearly 20 years. I found the big lozenges look pretty obvious when they're 'parked' and wanted something that was more discreet. They are pretty strong, so I save money by snapping them in half.

I genuinely don't think about smoking anymore. I'd far rather have one of these than a cigarette.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2014 11:09 AM BST

The Complete Machine Quilting Manual
The Complete Machine Quilting Manual
by Joanie Zeier Poole

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful manual, 24 Oct 2012
Joanie Zeier Poole's book on machine quilting teaches you what you need to know to start free motion quilting. FMQ can be so scary - where do you start? How much do you do? What designs work best? This manual will definitely help you find your bearings.

Chapter 1 is full of lots of tips regarding different types of quilting machines - long arm, domestic machine with frame (my dream is to own one of these!), and even a domestic machine. And don't worry that you don't have a long arm - Joanie explains that she prefers to work on a domestic machine and is quite happy with her results. She also discusses essential and useful attachments, accessories, and even setting up your working space.

Chapter 2 is all about planning and preparations. It helps you choose and plan quilting techniques for different types of quilts along with techniques for transferring them to your quilt. Joanie discusses fabric preperation and even when to starch (answer: lightly and often!) as well as thread and needle types and how to choose wadding.

Chapter 3 discusses the varieties of machine quilting - channel, stippling, background and echo as well as others. You'll learn about moving from shape to shape on the quilt. You'll also learn how to plan and quilt designs based on straight lines - there are more than you think! She also discusses how to practice designs before sewing them.

Finally there is a small library of quilting designs for making your own. I think this is a book which would appeal to the beginner and intermediate quilter - many quilters are terrified at the thought of free motion quilting, but a little knowledge and practice will get you a long way. There are also 4 projects that aren't very difficult and offer the opportunity to practice your free motion skills.

This review was also published on [...]

Two from One Jelly Roll Quilts
Two from One Jelly Roll Quilts
by Pam Lintott

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, even for beginners!, 9 Mar 2011
I admit that when I started thinking about making a quilt, the idea of using a jelly roll scared me. Only 2 1/2" wide? Yikes!
But this book really does provide the perfect introduction to both jelly rolls and quilting. The quilts themselves aren't overly difficult, and they are small enough to be quick to piece together - usually measuring around 40" to 50" by about 60"-70". They are also small enough that you can easily quilt them yourself, unlike big quilts which end up being too bulky to move through your sewing machine.
The quilts are presented in pairs, with each quilt using half a jelly roll, but be assured you can mix and match all you like. And any jelly roll you like will look good; you don't have to stick with their suggestions!
These quilts are great for gift-giving, although you might have trouble parting with such beauties!