Profile for J. Hislop > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
ReTrak Orange & Blue Neon In-Earphones Headphones for Portable Media Devices
ReTrak Orange & Blue Neon In-Earphones Headphones for Portable Media Devices

1.0 out of 5 stars Total rip off, 2 Jun. 2015
These headphones are useless. When the headphones are in use, the bit they would otherwise retract into swings about like a pendulum. Which, if it gains enough momentum will be able to pull your earphones out of your ears! Terrible design flaw. But if you clip it onto your jacket to prevent this from happening, the lead is too short for you to hold your MP3 device in an outstretched hand. This wouldn't be a problem if you could control functions from the earphones themselves, but you can't. They lasted about a month for me before sound stopped coming out one side, and I gave up with them at that point. Definitely not value for money.

Griffin Tunebuds GC38204 In-Ear Headphones 3.5mm Audio Jack Blue
Griffin Tunebuds GC38204 In-Ear Headphones 3.5mm Audio Jack Blue
Offered by total digital stores

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last long, 2 Jun. 2015
I bought these fairly recently (about a month or two ago). At first I was impressed but now it is obvious how poor quality they are - already the sound is cracking and not coming out one/both of the headphones momentarily. They work if I squeeze the lead close to the jack and hold it there, but I guess they won't last much longer now. Disappointed, because the sound quality was really good.

Skechers Agility Perfect Fit, Women Fitness Shoes, Grey (Grey), 6 UK (39 EU)
Skechers Agility Perfect Fit, Women Fitness Shoes, Grey (Grey), 6 UK (39 EU)
Offered by Charnwood Safety Footwear & Workwear

1.0 out of 5 stars Something wrong with the soles, 31 May 2015
I bought these a month or so ago and I can't wear them anymore, my feet are in pain. I don't know if it a manufacturing fault with this individual pair of shoes, or more generally with this style of shoe. To me it feels as if something about the sole style has led me to be walking disproportionately more on the insides of my feet. I could see it when I looked down at my feet but at first it didn't feel uncomfortable and it is only over time that I've come to notice that I've been in increasing amounts of pain. I should add that I do have some problems with my feet (so at first I put the problem down to that). It was only upon buying another pair of trainers that I realised the fault was with these shoes.

I wear insoles to help with my feet problem and I've owned various styles of skechers over the years - in fact I deliberately have sought out skechers in the past because they are such a comfy brand for me and usually roomy enough to accommodate my insoles easily. This particular problem has never happened to me before with skechers, although I did have back pain after trying their "shape-ups". I don't know if this will make me more wary of the brand in future, but I think if I do get another pair I will stick to their classic trainers and try to avoid any of the ones marked as being to do with "sport", "agility" or "shaping up" because now I'm thinking the changes they make to the soles for these ones seem to be what is giving me grief.

The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year
The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 16 July 2014
I really just did not get this book at all. I was looking forward to reading it, but once the original premise (main character takes to her bed) was set up it just went downhill from there. I don't know if it was the whole point that I wasn't meant to have any sympathy with any of the characters? If it was then it worked, but otherwise I'm not sure why they were all written to be so dull and uninspiring. There were bits that were obviously meant to be funny but the further in I got with this book the less amusing I found anything. There were a few poignant paragraphs towards the end but that was about it, but then again it could just be that I completely missed the point - upon finishing the book it just felt as though the whole thing was an inside joke that I wasn't in on.

The Expats
The Expats

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down, 20 May 2014
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
This is a good read. Intriguing story, glamorous setting and lots of twists and turns in the plot. The character of Kate is really well-written. Tempted to give 'The Accident' a try next.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful plot twists and turns but the characters are awful, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally read books of this genre, but this one kept coming up in my recommendations so I thought I'd give it a go. At first I found it so hard to get into because the characters are so ridiculously self-absorbed they're really difficult to like and/or have sympathy with. I wish the character of the husband's sister had been brought out a little more. She seemed the most normal person out of all of them. I persevered and then the plot twists took over and kept me going right up until the end.

The Man Who Forgot His Wife
The Man Who Forgot His Wife

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny but sometimes focused too much on funny at the expense of realistic., 20 May 2014
This book was easy to read. I finished it in a day or so. It's funny in lots of places, although in some places it maybe tried too hard to be funny. In some places it doesn't seem very realistic, and by that I don't mean that it's failing to portraying what it's like to have amnesia correctly (because I have no idea what a correct portrayal would be) but there are some parts when the wife does things, it just seems to me that in real life nobody would do that. I think there's a gap in the development of her character between what her husband the protagonist of the story says she is like as a person, and how she behaves in the narrative of the story. And that's annoying because their relationship is such an important part of the plot.

What Alice Forgot
What Alice Forgot

3.0 out of 5 stars The sister should have been the main character, 20 May 2014
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
The book was easy to read, but many of the characters weren't particularly likeable. In some cases this is perhaps because the characters were not well-developed. For example, the author seems to have spent more time focusing on developing the story of Elizabeth (Alice's sister) than either Alice herself, or Alice's husband Nick. The sub-plot involving Elizabeth is particularly heart-wrenching, and as a result, by the end of the book I didn't really care much what happened to Alice, but I wanted to know what was going to happen with Elizabeth.

I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook
I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook
by Sarah Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars A good "guideline" book but frustrating recipe/ingredients issues., 27 April 2014
This book is interesting, well laid-out and has some good rules of thumb to stick to if you want to make the lifestyle change to remove sugar from your diet, which I have now done and feel better for having done so. I did enjoy the book but I did feel incredibly frustrated about three aspects of it.

Firstly, there are a few ingredients that are repeatedly used (i.e. in most of the recipes), and these are probably available everywhere in health conscious Australia (where the author is from). This book is meant to be for the UK market, but while it may be easy if you live in London to rush down to the local shops and pick up some rice malt syrup or raw cacao powder, if you live in some town in the North of England or somewhere it's actually a pain in the a**e to get hold of unless you buy online and have it delivered to your home, which can be a hassle. Even if you can find some of these key ingredients, they can be *very* pricey (coconut oil for example), which is not ideal for a diet book such as this, especially given that obesity disproportionately affects those on low incomes.

Secondly, the author avoids gluten in her life as well and the recipes seem to reflect this. For most people who don't have a gluten free diet, doing something as big as quitting sugar is already quite a big task in itself, so it would have been nice to have a few more of the recipes not be quite so stringent about gluten as well. That said, having managed to make some of the recipes they have been lovely.

Thirdly, some of the guidelines in this book clash with other books on sugar detoxing. Rice malt syrup is allowed here whereas in The Sugar Detox book the authors count this as sugar. No mention is made of dextrose here, whereas in the Sweet Poison Quit Plan it is an ingredient in the bulk of the recipes. The net effect of this is to make you wonder how seriously you should take the advice that's being given. I preferred the recipes in The Sugar Detox because the ingredients are much more straightforward, but as I said before, the rules of thumb in this book and the style and layout are much nicer.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2014 12:46 PM BST

Mimobot Hello Kitty Tuxedo Sam 4GB USB Flash Drive
Mimobot Hello Kitty Tuxedo Sam 4GB USB Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful (and cute), 1 Nov. 2013
Tuxedo Sam used to be a big friend of Hello Kitty in the 80s when I was growing up, but they've obviously fallen out because she doesn't seem to have much to do with him these days, which is a pity as he was a cute, ice-cream loving penguin. So you can imagine how pleased I was to find him commemorated with his very own USB stick!

The product has sufficient capacity for my needs and comes with a folder installed with Hello Kitty/Tuxedo Sam/other hangers etc on desktop wallpapers and such like. Product works well...and I still haven't managed to lose the lid yet either!

My only criticism is that he tends to have to go "ass up" into most USB ports, so you don't get to see the cute cartoon face much of the time anyway.

Page: 1 | 2