Profile for J. Hislop > Reviews

The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year
The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 16 July 2014
I really just did not get this book at all. I was looking forward to reading it, but once the original premise (main character takes to her bed) was set up it just went downhill from there. I don't know if it was the whole point that I wasn't meant to have any sympathy with any of the characters? If it was then it worked, but otherwise I'm not sure why they were all written to be so dull and uninspiring. There were bits that were obviously meant to be funny but the further in I got with this book the less amusing I found anything. There were a few poignant paragraphs towards the end but that was about it, but then again it could just be that I completely missed the point - upon finishing the book it just felt as though the whole thing was an inside joke that I wasn't in on.

The Expats
The Expats
Price: 4.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down, 20 May 2014
This review is from: The Expats (Kindle Edition)
This is a good read. Intriguing story, glamorous setting and lots of twists and turns in the plot. The character of Kate is really well-written. Tempted to give 'The Accident' a try next.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful plot twists and turns but the characters are awful, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally read books of this genre, but this one kept coming up in my recommendations so I thought I'd give it a go. At first I found it so hard to get into because the characters are so ridiculously self-absorbed they're really difficult to like and/or have sympathy with. I wish the character of the husband's sister had been brought out a little more. She seemed the most normal person out of all of them. I persevered and then the plot twists took over and kept me going right up until the end.

The Man Who Forgot His Wife
The Man Who Forgot His Wife
Price: 3.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny but sometimes focused too much on funny at the expense of realistic., 20 May 2014
This book was easy to read. I finished it in a day or so. It's funny in lots of places, although in some places it maybe tried too hard to be funny. In some places it doesn't seem very realistic, and by that I don't mean that it's failing to portraying what it's like to have amnesia correctly (because I have no idea what a correct portrayal would be) but there are some parts when the wife does things, it just seems to me that in real life nobody would do that. I think there's a gap in the development of her character between what her husband the protagonist of the story says she is like as a person, and how she behaves in the narrative of the story. And that's annoying because their relationship is such an important part of the plot.

What Alice Forgot
What Alice Forgot
Price: 2.49

3.0 out of 5 stars The sister should have been the main character, 20 May 2014
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
The book was easy to read, but many of the characters weren't particularly likeable. In some cases this is perhaps because the characters were not well-developed. For example, the author seems to have spent more time focusing on developing the story of Elizabeth (Alice's sister) than either Alice herself, or Alice's husband Nick. The sub-plot involving Elizabeth is particularly heart-wrenching, and as a result, by the end of the book I didn't really care much what happened to Alice, but I wanted to know what was going to happen with Elizabeth.

I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook
I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook
by Sarah Wilson
Price: 7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A good "guideline" book but frustrating recipe/ingredients issues., 27 April 2014
This book is interesting, well laid-out and has some good rules of thumb to stick to if you want to make the lifestyle change to remove sugar from your diet, which I have now done and feel better for having done so. I did enjoy the book but I did feel incredibly frustrated about three aspects of it.

Firstly, there are a few ingredients that are repeatedly used (i.e. in most of the recipes), and these are probably available everywhere in health conscious Australia (where the author is from). This book is meant to be for the UK market, but while it may be easy if you live in London to rush down to the local shops and pick up some rice malt syrup or raw cacao powder, if you live in some town in the North of England or somewhere it's actually a pain in the a**e to get hold of unless you buy online and have it delivered to your home, which can be a hassle. Even if you can find some of these key ingredients, they can be *very* pricey (coconut oil for example), which is not ideal for a diet book such as this, especially given that obesity disproportionately affects those on low incomes.

Secondly, the author avoids gluten in her life as well and the recipes seem to reflect this. For most people who don't have a gluten free diet, doing something as big as quitting sugar is already quite a big task in itself, so it would have been nice to have a few more of the recipes not be quite so stringent about gluten as well. That said, having managed to make some of the recipes they have been lovely.

Thirdly, some of the guidelines in this book clash with other books on sugar detoxing. Rice malt syrup is allowed here whereas in The Sugar Detox book the authors count this as sugar. No mention is made of dextrose here, whereas in the Sweet Poison Quit Plan it is an ingredient in the bulk of the recipes. The net effect of this is to make you wonder how seriously you should take the advice that's being given. I preferred the recipes in The Sugar Detox because the ingredients are much more straightforward, but as I said before, the rules of thumb in this book and the style and layout are much nicer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2014 9:17 PM BST

Mimobot Hello Kitty Tuxedo Sam 4GB USB Flash Drive
Mimobot Hello Kitty Tuxedo Sam 4GB USB Flash Drive
Price: 19.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful (and cute), 1 Nov 2013
Tuxedo Sam used to be a big friend of Hello Kitty in the 80s when I was growing up, but they've obviously fallen out because she doesn't seem to have much to do with him these days, which is a pity as he was a cute, ice-cream loving penguin. So you can imagine how pleased I was to find him commemorated with his very own USB stick!

The product has sufficient capacity for my needs and comes with a folder installed with Hello Kitty/Tuxedo Sam/other hangers etc on desktop wallpapers and such like. Product works well...and I still haven't managed to lose the lid yet either!

My only criticism is that he tends to have to go "ass up" into most USB ports, so you don't get to see the cute cartoon face much of the time anyway.

Behind with the Laundry and Living Off Chocolate: Life Changing Strategies for Busy Women
by Lynette Allen
Price: 8.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok advice that's easy to read, 24 Feb 2012
This book is ok. There are some nice specific ideas and suggestions for particular situations that you might not have thought about before, but otherwise, there really isn't an overall strategy to help you become more in control of your life, so the chapters are instead all based on specific scenarios where you might be having problems, with examples from the authors caseload. That said, the author writes well and in a really positive style, so the book is incredibly easy to read, and the advice (although sometimes nothing you probably couldn't have figured out for yourself) is practical and not unrealistic to implement.

Sony MDRW08L Vite Stereo Headphones
Sony MDRW08L Vite Stereo Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant headphones, 15 July 2011
These headphones are excellent! Loose headphones never stay in my ears so I've tried a variety of headband-headphones over the years and I have always been impressed with Sony headphones compared to other brands. I have found these ones stay in your ears comfortably, and are also very good at retaining noise - i.e. when you are on a bus, or in the office and you've got the volume of your MP3 player turned up pretty high, these headphones somehow keep the noise in so you don't subject everyone within a 5 metre radius to your own music taste. They're also very light and the plastic headband is quite flexible (doesn't feel like it's going to snap at the slightest thing).

The only negative comment about these headphones that I could make is to say that the life expectancy of these headphones is not particularly long. These ones lasted six months. But on the other hand, I'm not sure what constitutes a reasonable life expectancy for headphones in the first place (maybe six months is great)? I also think my own treatment of the headphones may be partly to blame (I tend to roll the wire round the MP3 player and then dump it inside my handbag every day). For these headphones, the sound has now started to go in one ear (unless I wiggle the wire around a bit and hold it in place which is a hassle), so I think it's time for a replacement pair, but I'd definitely buy the same type again. They are really worth it, especially for the price (I've shelled out over three times this amount on similar styles made by other brands which I've found useless) and I hope Sony keep selling this style as an option for people who can't wear the loose type of headphones.

Sennheiser/Adidas PMX 680 High-Performance Rugged Stereo Neckband Headphone for Sports

1.0 out of 5 stars Over-priced and uncomfortable, 25 Jan 2011
These headphones are overpriced and over-rated, in my opinion. I bought them in an emergency when I was on holiday (and therefore couldn't take them back to the shop, which is what I otherwise would done within 24 hours of purchase they are so bad).

They are made from this uncomfortable moulded plastic type material and there is no way to adjust them, so the left side speaker doesn't fit in my ear properly as they are moulded too wide for my head. There is also a lot of noise wasted (this has also been a problem with other Sennheiser headphones I have owned in the past) which might not be a big deal if you are using them for outdoor sport, but if you are using them in an enclosed space (e.g. public transport, an open plan office) you can forget turning up the volume to anything =>50% or else everybody around you will easily be able to hear your music. I actually find they are more comfortable and the noise wastage is reduced if you wear them upside down, which should tell you all you need to know about these headphones.

Honourable mention must go to the designers, who, for reasons beyond all comprehension, also thought it would be a good idea for consumers to have to plug these headphones first into a volume remote control, which then connects to the music device. This would be ok except if you don't want to use the remote volume control and try to plug the phones into the music device without it, your headphone lead is only ~60cm long, which is useless for sport (unless you happen to have a breast pocket in your exercise clothes). Hey, maybe that was why Adidas put their name to these - they were planning on releasing a whole new range of overpriced sports clothes with breast pockets so we would need to shell out for those as well!

Page: 1 | 2