Profile for D. Batten > Reviews

Content by D. Batten

D. Batten "Staro Fan" (UK)

Great Trees of London (Time Out Guides)
Great Trees of London (Time Out Guides)
by Time Out Guides Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like trees this is for you., 15 May 2013
My son, who lives in London, told me about a Dutch elm he had seen in the capital. Shortly afterwards saw this book on the mobile library which visits my village, so borrowed it and there was my son's elm along with another 50 or so great trees. Excellent pictures, history and context. Ordered it from Amazon and lost it to my son the next time he visited me, although he assures me we'll go and see some of them the next time I'm in London. An excellent little book for people who know about trees and for people like me who just like them.

Handel: Dettingen Te Deum
Handel: Dettingen Te Deum

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this recording, 15 May 2013
I don't know a major from a minor chord so can't give a clever review of this but I loved it. I like Handel anyway so I was half-way there. The diction is clear and sharp; the accompaniment is excellent without being overbearing. The price is good. This is probably not what Amazon wants from a review but it's the best I can do.

Handel: Chandos Anthems
Handel: Chandos Anthems

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete Chandos at last, 26 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Handel: Chandos Anthems (Audio CD)
I'd had odd anthems on well used cassette and cd and had been looking for the complete set when up popped this and it is absolutely everything I could have hoped and wished for. I'm no musicologist or clever person with words but the singing is crisp - can hear the words clearly - the orchestra plays sympathetically and empathetically complementing the singing rather than competing with it as one so often finds. I'm just so glad to have it in my collection and no-one will be borrowing it as I shall be worried they'll love it as much as I do and forget to return it!

Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem
Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem

5.0 out of 5 stars A different Deutsches Requiem, 6 Oct. 2010
I bought this as a trial. One of my children has appropriated my much loved traditional recording and having seen Simon Russel-Beale's BBC4 programme with The Sixteen where Brahms was included, decided to give this a try. Being used to the full orchestral version it was a bit of a shock. The tempo is slower and the 19th century piano sounds a little domestic until you let yourself wallow in the sublime singing, accopaniment,total musicality and sensitivity of this recording. Take the time to listen to it. Everytime I listen there is something new to delight me. I shall also buy the orchestral version sometime - it's like having two different pieces of music.

Glittering Images
Glittering Images
by Susan Howatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Glittering Images, 20 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Glittering Images (Paperback)
Set in Starbridge, which is really Salisbury, this is a story of love, life, morals and conscience. She brilliantly describes the struggles between the generations and the way we live we our lives within the framework of the Church of England. There are no bad characters, only acts which are not good.