Profile for edrm > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Secret of My Heart
Secret of My Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars Mai-K's Debut Album in the United States, 12 Sep 2009
This review is from: Secret of My Heart (Audio CD)
Let me get it straight: all of this album written in English sound more natural and lively than Mai's Japanese tunes. It seems like she sounds more confident all in English than the lyrics which include 2/3 of Jpn and the rest of Eng. She articulated her English in this album, while sometimes I can miss what she said when she sings both Jpn. and Eng. Some people seem to criticize Mai's English, but Mai's way of speaking never offends me at all.

Although Mai's mother tongue isn't English, she is trying to improve both her English and Chinese skills. However, I hope she is going to release her album all in English, where I will find she will have more impressive command of her musical and language skills. Mai-K, you should show Americans you'll be able to sing English songs you write better than before!

Love Letter
Love Letter

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LETTER - Beautiful Ballad Tune, 12 Sep 2009
This review is from: Love Letter (Audio CD)
Recent BoA's songs like LOVE LETTER attract me quite a lot; esp. the sad tune suits those who lost their boy/girlfriends or got divorced, I suppose. Personally I'm so clumsy about love that I find this tune never boring like Kissing You. I guess this song is so moving it makes many of BoA's fans cry. It can be therapeutic to listen to sad songs like LOVE LETTER for a change.

Tsumetai Umi/Start In My Life
Tsumetai Umi/Start In My Life
Offered by Japan-Select

5.0 out of 5 stars Tsumetai Umi - Frozen Sea, 11 Sep 2009
I can feel Mai-K's warmth and tenderness from her lyric, although the tune sounds so breezy and lonely. Especially, the main parts of this tune are what she is getting at most, if you ask me.

"Don't leave me again.....
Never let you go.... Oh yeah
In the moonlight stars.... Oh yeah"

"Don't leave me again
Look at us Please
We are trying to live on this earth Oh yeah
In the moonlight stars
All the kids are fighting to live on this earth Oh yeah"

Personally I appreciate the way Mai-K writes lyrics. Mai seems to summarize her intention in this sort of English words, which I believe is the way she expresses herself. So I would like Mai-K's fans to pay a closer attention to her English words.

Always (jpn)
Always (jpn)

5.0 out of 5 stars This Song ALWAYS Cheers Me Up!!, 11 Sep 2009
This review is from: Always (jpn) (Audio CD)
I can see something common between Stand Up and Always; both of them seem to encourage listeners by Mai-K's positive lyrics although both of the song types sound different. Especially, I'm really impressed by Mai's English words as follows:

"Sometimes you win
Sometimes you lose
It doesn't matter
You make mistakes but for a reason
There's a chance to be won
God bless you for being yourself
Sometimes life is so beautiful yeah

always give my love
always give my love to you

always give my love"

I can switch negatives to positives when listening to the tunes like Always, Winter Bells, and Stand Up. I could fall in love with Mai-K if she cheered me up. I suppose she knows quite well how to attract those who love her. Overall, you wanna remember Always if you get stuck in depression, 'cause I suppose the title may imply,"Always be positive and believe in yourself! That's the key of enjoying life."

Autism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Autism: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Uta Frith

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Very Informative and Easy to Understand Explanations!, 20 Aug 2009
Quite embarrassingly, I didn't know so much about autism itself before I dealt with this tremendous guide. Although it doesn't have so many pages, I found it very informative and useful. Especially, I'm intrigued by Dr. Frith's explanations on the follows:
1. What neurotypical means
2. Weak central coherence
I wasn't quite sure what the prefix, neuro- means though neurotypical (NT) is one of the key words on autism/Asperger's. Sure thing, I couldn't find the word even in my dictionary. I mean, I could manage to guess it might mean the opposite to people with developmental impairments. However, I didn't quite catch why. I felt like I could clear up my haze when I found out Dr. Frith says neuro- definitely means the brain. "I guessed right! Neurotypical shows the brain works normally or typically." - That's what I exactly thought!

I realized central coherence is crucial for neurodevelopment. People with strong central coherence can see the whole point, while those with weak one tend to dwell on parts. So I suppose some autistic people have such weak central coherence that they tend to be perfectionists, which makes life more stressful. Positively, they seem to know the details pretty well. In my case, I was incredibly good at kanji (Chinese characters) in my childhood. But the trouble was that I was horrible at comprehending the whole sentence. And I suspected that slowed communication skills. The thing is people with weak central coherence find it so hard to catch the whole content they often tend to miss what matters most.

Overall, this autism guide is suitable if you would like to know the difference between NT's and people with autism/Asperger's with regard to neurodevelopmental psychology.

BANISH THE BLUE DAYS
BANISH THE BLUE DAYS

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Jazz and Fusion Types of Music!, 2 Aug 2009
This review is from: BANISH THE BLUE DAYS (Audio CD)
I didn't expect Brenda would release her CD at first because I knew everything around her have drastically changed. She sings so beautifully that every song catches my eye! As a matter of fact, I hadn't listened to the songs overseas for ages before I came across Brenda's CD. I usually listen to different types of music, but her album sounds therapeutic and fresh to me. I was also amazed to see her music talents as well. Bap Kennedy, her husband produced this album and without his support Banish the Blue Days wouldn't ever exist, I suppose. I hear Bap appreciated her music talents and he suggested she release her CD as a pro, and this turned out to be successful.

Bap Kennedy will release his new album, Howl On soon and I'm looking forward to this!

Dancing
Dancing

4.0 out of 5 stars Dancing - Cool Dance Tune!, 27 July 2009
This review is from: Dancing (Audio CD)
As a matter of fact, I just came across this up-tempo tune on some video software. Overall, I found the making video of Dancing successful. Although Mai-K looks quiet and shy like Nigel Dick, the director of the video said, the back dancers and the guitarist enhanced the tune and I got quite thrilled. I can't imagine Mai dance like BoA, though. Without the dancers and guitarist, this song would sound monotonous and artificial to me.

However, there is one drawback; I couldn't see Mai speak English. Since the making video was on air in LA, California, I just wanted her to appeal her impressive command of her language skills to me. Besides, all the video staff seemed to appreciate Mai's English. "Where's Mai-K's English?" - That's how I felt about the making video.

If you see the making video of Dancing you may be able to recognize different aspects of Mai-K.

Winter Bells
Winter Bells
Offered by Japan-Select

5.0 out of 5 stars Winter Bells - Romantic Winter Tune, 11 July 2009
This review is from: Winter Bells (Audio CD)
Winter Bells has enough power to warm my heart! Especially, it must be the right tune for singing in college festivals. I could forget cold weather if she sings Winter Bells in her live. This tune fits Mai-K's style! It sounds so catchy and positive that I can eliminate any distressing and hazy feelings. Besides, it seems to me as though Mai-K told us "Winter sure will change into spring. Hang in there!" So I'll keep this warm and catchy tune whenever I get stuck in deep depression.

Friendships: The Aspie Way
Friendships: The Aspie Way
by Wendy Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound Insight on Friendships, 10 July 2009
Excellently written!! Wendy Lawson indicated us the specifics of friendships in such an organized way that I may be able to take what she is driving at on board. It seems like she shows us various kinds of friendships exist. Since most Auties/Aspies suffer from other people, I feel she is trying to encourage them to enjoy life in order to gain happiness. In this respect, this book may be highly recommended for Auties/Aspies because lots of them including myself have found it so hard to make close friends. If you ask me, our close friends can see through both the pros and cons of us. Even if we have personality clash with each other, that never means our friendships are over, so to speak. Simply put, being a yes man doesn't make sense at all. Besides, that's too superficial to accept!

Do You Understand Me?: My Life, My Thoughts, My Autism Spectrum Disorder
Do You Understand Me?: My Life, My Thoughts, My Autism Spectrum Disorder
by Sofie Koborg Brøsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun To Read!!, 1 July 2009
I found this book so amusing because some of the pictures can apply to me. - such as difficulty to catch subtlety or jokes, non-verbal communications, multi-tasking, and hatred to groupism. Therefore, I would like to recommend not only Auties and Aspies but also parents of autistic/Asperger kids and those dealing with them to read this. Sofie Koborg Brosen tried very hard to show us super specific points of autism/Asperger's(a/A) according to her experiences, which I found very real. If you ask me, though this book is informative, no complicated sentence exists. I hope her realistic approach to a/A will eventually appeal to the public. So don't put this book down just because the author is a girl!

Also I would like you to read Jude Welton's book, Can I Tell You About My Asperger Syndrome?, if possible.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14