Profile for R. Lucas > Reviews

Content by R. Lucas

R. Lucas "Nowhere Man" (London, England)

The Beatles
The Beatles
Offered by claires_media_store
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag, 23 Aug 2007
This review is from: The Beatles (Audio CD)
The White Album contains some of their best, but also some of their worst songs. Tracks like, 'Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da', 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and 'Dear Prudence' are among some of their best, but songs like 'Wild Honey Pie' and the unfathomable 'Revolution#9' leave a lot to be desired. It's also clearly evident on this album that the artistic forces of Lennon and McCartney were really starting to pull in opposite directions, making this an album that lacked any real fluidity. But when this album is good, it's great, with more ideas flowing than most bands have in their whole life time. It's very easy for people to say after the fact that this should have been a single album, which in some ways I do agree with, but it's the size and ambition, the creative output of this album that makes it such a classic that i'm sure has had more influence on other artists than any of their previous work. To me, this is one of the best double albums ever released, and although maybe not the best Beatles album, certainly their most interesting.

Abbey Road
Abbey Road
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 18.96

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Way to Go !!!, 23 Aug 2007
This review is from: Abbey Road (Audio CD)
I far as i'm concerned, this is undoubtedly the finest Beatles album, which is funny considering all the turmoil that was going on behind the scenes. Harrison provides two of the strongest songs on the album, while Lennon gives a masterclass in anthemic riffs with 'Come Together'. Ringo seems to enjoy himself with 'Octopus's Garden', which is surely his strongest after 'With a Little Help From My Friends' and the three way harmony on 'Because', not heard since 'This Boy' is absolutely amazing. The standing ovation though, goes to Mr McCartney who crafted most of the second side. This side alone does as much for me as all of 'Sgt Pepper' and shows that the idea's machine was running at full power, right until the very end.

Exile On Main Street
Exile On Main Street
Price: 15.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable !!, 23 Aug 2007
This review is from: Exile On Main Street (Audio CD)
This album was the icing on the cake for the tremendous run of albums between 68 and 72, never equaled afterwards by any other band in my view. From genuine foot stompers like 'Tumbling Dice' and 'Happy',the gritty blues of 'Sweet Virginia', to songs of sheer beauty, such as 'Loving Cup' and 'Let It Loose', there is something on this for every stones fan. For me, this is not only one of the best ever double albums, but an essential part of any stones collection. Bluesy rock 'n' roll at it's very best.

40 Licks (Limited Edition)
40 Licks (Limited Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Class!!, 23 Aug 2007
I really can't understand some people's lack of appreciation for the Rolling Stones, particularly for this album. In my opinion it's one of the greatest Best Of's ever put together, right up there with the Beatles 1's collection, (for the record i'm probably an even bigger fan of the Beatles).

Side one doesn't have a duff track in sight, almost every song being an absolute classic and essential on any 'Greatest Hits'. Side two is more of a mixed batch. Along with must have's like 'Brown Sugar' or 'Miss You' there are several songs from more recent years, which although don't bare comparison to their earlier work, are still a lot stronger than a great deal of music around today. And besides, how fresh would YOU sound after a career spanning forty years, a massive accomplishment on it's own.So although the second side doesn't reach the dizzying heights of side one, songs like 'Start Me Up', 'Tumbling Dice' and 'Happy' make it more than worth having.

The truth of the matter is that to fully understand the popularity of the Stones you need to buy the albums, especially 'Beggars Banquet to 'Exile On Main Street'. But if I had to play any one CD of theirs to someone looking to know more about them, it would be the first disc of this album. With a collection as good as this, you'll never need any other Best Of. Simply brilliant.

War Of The Worlds (2 Disc Special Edition) [2005] [DVD]
War Of The Worlds (2 Disc Special Edition) [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Zzzzzzzzzzzz...................., 21 Aug 2007
I was very excited about going to the cinema to watch this film, I felt if any story was a perfect match for the silver screen it was this. And besides, being a remake of a classic of fifties cinema, with Spielberg directing, what could go wrong? Well here's your answer in 112 minutes of dissapointing numbness.

Now don't get wrong, the effects, particularly the sound are absolutely fantastic, but that was the only positive thing I came away with after watching this. I think the main reason for this is that it's almost impossible to feel any real empathy for the characters, due to the fact that they are all so unlikable. The daughter can't keep her mouth shut, the son is just a jerk and as for the dad, well let's just say i'm not a huge fan of Tiny Tom at the best of times.

So I give this movie two stars just for the fact that the effects are so damn good and for knowing that in the right hands, with a little tweaking of the script and a lead that's not Tom Cruise this could have been something special.

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut [DVD] [1999]
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Trey Parker
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Animated Movie Ever!!, 21 Aug 2007
As far as i'm concerned this movie doesn't put a single foot wrong. The dialogue is as sharp as ever, the songs are near perfect and to top all this they actually had a brilliant storyline, unlike another popular cartoon show recently put on the big screen. I would rate this film among my top twenty favourite movies, the kind of thing you can come back to again and again and again.......
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2012 8:24 AM GMT

Irreversible [DVD] [2003]
Irreversible [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Monica Bellucci
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA
Price: 17.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Love It Or Loath It, You'll Never Forget It, 18 Aug 2007
This review is from: Irreversible [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
The first time I saw this movie was at a friends house. We were having a drink and a chat about cinema when I mentioned a notorious film I had heard about called 'Irreversible'. He then proceeded to give me a lecture on the masterfully disturbing nature of this film, which had me completely enthralled and I couldn't wait for him to show me it, but he refused outright saying, "it would be a depressing way to end an evening". So after half an hour of persistently annoying him he finally put it on just to shut me up. Now I have to say that like most blokes in their early twenties i'm extremely desensitized to most forms of violence, sex and language and movies never really get under my skin. So when I say how disturbed I was by this film I mean it most sincerely.

Even the opening (or ending) credits immediately set an uncomfortable tone which only intensifies as the film progresses. It is of course noted for having two scenes of a particularly disturbing nature, one involving rape and the other involving a fire extinguisher, both of which are the most breathtakingly shocking and unnerving of their kind. The acting is first rate, with the three leads all turning in career best performances. Director Gaspar Noe uses the camera to great effect and the reverse order is done with tremendous flair, but not so as to allow it to convolute the story. Special effects and camera tricks are used ingeniously which you wouldn't even notice unless you were told, i.e. the camera moving in and out of the car through an apparently solid window, or the way they expertly crafted the extinguisher scene. It should be mentioned that along with all the undiluted darkness there is also a scene of great romance and affection between Bellucci and Cassell that exhibits the obvious chemistry that brought them together in real life. This scene is only tarnished by the fact that you already know how it's going to end, but it's still a great study of passion and care free attitude.

In my opinion, Irreversible is a classic of modern cinema, which in the future will undoubtedly be considered as Gaspar Noe's moment of sheer brilliance. The only reason I haven't given this film five stars is because of the nature of the movie. Some people would be too put off by certain scenes or simply by the general mood which leaves you feeling rather unsettled. But anyone willing to give it the time would be left with a cinematic experience that will remain with them forever. Just give it a chance.

I Want Candy [DVD]
I Want Candy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Riley
Price: 4.07

1.0 out of 5 stars More Effective Than Chinese Water Torture, 18 Aug 2007
This review is from: I Want Candy [DVD] (DVD)
I'm not a spiteful person by nature, I don't walk round with a chip on my shoulder and I always make an effort not to be too bitter and twisted about things. For 'I Want Candy' though I Shall make an exception. I think the best way to describe this film is to say that I felt it was an insult to my backside having to sit through an hour and a half of this tripe. An infinite amount of chimps with typewriters could type away until the end of time and still not write a review fully encapsulating how dismall this movie really is.

The only reason I even give it one star is for not being too long, because an extra half - hour would have resulted in a mass suicide epidemic in cinemas across the nation. So I warn one and all - please, please, please stay away from this film because if you do make the mistake of watching it, you'll only hate yourself afterwards.

The Stone Roses
The Stone Roses
Offered by Dirty Deals UK
Price: 8.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Light At The End Of The Tunnel For The 80's, 18 Aug 2007
This review is from: The Stone Roses (Audio CD)
What can be said that hasn't already been heard about a band, who through a single album managed to leave such an indelible mark on the British music scene, who have cemented their name in the rock 'n' roll hall of fame and influenced countless artists. In any music poll this album always rates in the Top 10 or even Top 5 and at least 8 of the 11 songs would be more than welcome on any 'Best Of'. From the atmospheric 'I Wanna Be Adored' to the anthemic 'I am The Resurrection' this album rolls along gaining momentum, with the energy of a greyhound on an adrenalin rush. At it's best this is absolutely thrilling, but even lesser songs such as 'Don't Stop'(the weakest in my opinion) are still worth a listen to, if only once.

I only have 2 regrets as far as the Stone Roses are concerned. The first is that their follow up failed to live up to it's predecessor, although with a standard of this quality they were always fighting a losing battle. My second regret is that I didn't get into the Roses earlier, since it was only a year ago that I got round to buying this album, but better late than never I suppose. To put it simply this album is nothing short of sublime and it explains why the status they have achieved in UK modern music is one quite rightly deserved.