Profile for misterbenjahh > Reviews

Sony MDR-ZX100W Outdoor Headband Headphones - White
Sony MDR-ZX100W Outdoor Headband Headphones - White
Offered by Digi Flash

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but brilliant headphones, 4 Sep 2012
These headphones really stand up to a lot of the praise they are getting in the previous reviews listed. When you take them out of the box for the first time and switch on some music you aren't going to get the crisp sound quality that a lot of people praise them for. The so called 'burn in' is an issue for these phones that you need to take this into consideration. On first listen these headphones sound quite veiled (by that I mean that it sounds like the audio is coming through a wall or blanket), and a little bit muddy. However, please do not stop reading because there is a brighter side.

After using these headphones for about 10 days I have noticed a marked improvement in the sound. They sound a lot less veiled and the clarity has definitely increased for sure. The bass, which is a big factor for a lot of people has noticeably fattened up but become a lot more controlled too. Eleven british pounds is not going to get you Bowers and Wilkins quality and anybody who says that you can will eventually be disappointed. Do they give the listener a pleasing experience? Yes, they do that very well.

Build quality is something which had a more sizeable impact on my scoring. The plastic construction of these headphones is a little creaky and noisy which could potentially pose a problem when thinking in terms of longevity. Do I think they are going to fall apart in my hands? No, not in the slightest but I think you have to mindful and take care.

The ear cups of the headphone swivel outwards so the padding faces away from you. This is a nice touch but why they don't go both ways is something of mystery to me. The headband has no padding whatsoever which isn't a problem necessarily but I would advise people with very SHORT HAIR OR BALD PEOPLE to avoid this headphone and get the HD201 Sennheisers which having padding on the headband but are a little more money but similar in sound. It might irritate you if you listen for extended period. I have short hair and I only experienced this irritation once after 3 hours. Ear cups on the other hand are surprisingly pleasing in terms of comfort as long as you take the time to angle the cups so they sit properly on your ears.

The cord is a big selling point or a pain depending on your usage of these headphones. If you want to do anything other than sit at your laptop or walk down the street with your music playing you may experience problems. The cord is 1.2m which isn't a lot if you want to sit on the sofa with the tv on across the room...but I guess you can buy a cheap extender cable. The cable itself is chunkiest I have EVER seen on a pair of headphones and the L-shaped jack at the end of it is something to be very proud of indeed.

I would definitely recommend these headphones to anybody who was looking to buy in this price range. The HD201 by Sennheiser were the headphones that I owned previous to these and they were good, solid well rounded headphones. Unfortunately one ear stopped functioning because of a breakage in the cable at the jack plug end. I don't foresee this problem happening with the SONY MDRZX100W. VERY VERY NICE HEADPHONES.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2013 8:42 AM GMT