Profile for richmusiclover > Reviews

Content by richmusiclover

richmusiclover "Music listener" (Queensland)

Earth As A Cradle For Life, The: The Origin, Evolution And Future Of The Environment
by Stacey Frank D Et Al

4.0 out of 5 stars The latest word, 19 Sept. 2013
We only have one planet to live on at this stage, so finding out the history of our precious globe is a no-brainer. This is the latest word from one of the leading academics in this field. Totally readable, profusely illustrated and absolutely engrossing. A must-have for students, teachers and anybody who is interested in the history of the Earth. Highly recommended.

Cooperation Dub
Cooperation Dub
Offered by discover.store

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to stop listening, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Cooperation Dub (Audio CD)
I wish that I had discovered this band a long time ago. Now I have to listen more to make up lost time. Adventures in dub reggae lead us down some strange rabbit-holes, but this particular exploration was well worth the effort. Easily my favourite G Corp recording at the moment, although inspired by one track and this album, I now have their full back catalogue to enjoy. Music to work with, relax with, and pass the time away. As good as dub gets.

Cinema El Mundo - Lo'Jo
Cinema El Mundo - Lo'Jo

5.0 out of 5 stars Music not often heard in English-speaking countries, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Cinema El Mundo - Lo'Jo (Audio CD)
They did not win awards by chance. This band has rocked along on a wonderful adventure for years, blissfully ignorant of the English-speaking world's sad ignorance. Why there are so many divisions based on language and history astounds me - good music plays well in any culture. This is better than good - sheer rocking brilliance!

Solo-One
Solo-One

5.0 out of 5 stars About time!, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Solo-One (Audio CD)
'Echo Beach' was almost the soundtrack to my life. At last count I have 31 remixes of this seminal track by Canadian band Martha and the Muffins.

Now, half a lifetime onwards, Martha Johnson and Mark Gane, the main movers in Martha and the Muffins have come together on Martha's first album 'Solo One'. I expected to hear reverberations from 'Echo Beach' but instead got something more subtle and nuanced.

This is an album that rewards repeated listening. As time has passed, Martha's voice - always a delight to hear - has matured to match her's and Mark's songwriting skills. Think of this as something like 'grown-up Martha and the Muffins' rather than the raw sounds of my youth. The more I listen to 'Solo One', the more I get from it and the more I realise it is so important to abandon pre-conceptions of our favourite artists. Development can and sometimes does offer great rewards.

I wholeheartedly recommend this album. Apart from the fact that listeners supported production - a truly co-operative venture - the sounds are delightful, something to savour, lots to think about. I am grateful to Martha and Mark once again.

Anodyne (Expanded And Remastered)
Anodyne (Expanded And Remastered)

4.0 out of 5 stars Country dudes, 6 Jan. 2012
I enjoyed this CD. Uncle Tupelo passed me by the first time, so I appreciate the long tail's opporunity to enjoy sounds I missed. Thanks for the music.

Lune
Lune
Offered by groove_temple

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 9 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Lune (Audio CD)
This is a great recording of traditional and contemporary Italian sounds fused together. Very enjoyable and uplifting music. Well worth buying

The Ducati Monster Bible
The Ducati Monster Bible
by Ian Falloon

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book, 18 Aug. 2011
Ian knows his Ducatis, and since Monsters are the company's best-selling model, this book was well overdue. Ian has done a great job of sorting through the many permutations and subtle changes since the release of the Monster in the early 1990s - now I understand why mechanics could use some parts of some bikes, but not on others. There will need to be a second edition I suspect because this bike will be with us for years to come (or as long as petrol is affordable). Now, if I can just find the parts I want, I can make my own personal favourite - and best - Monster. Well done, Ian!

Cannibal Courtship
Cannibal Courtship
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars their best album yet, 18 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Cannibal Courtship (Audio CD)
Dengue Fever improve with every album, and this is their best yet. Great mix of Cambodian sounds with '70s surf rock. Excellent swinging music. Highly recommended.

Mali Denhou
Mali Denhou

5.0 out of 5 stars The boss is back!, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Mali Denhou (Audio CD)
This man makes the best blues. Fullstop. It is so good to have a new Boubacar album to listen to, not that I ever tire of the old ones, just I worry about wearing them out. This is the man who sings and plays from the heart, accompanied by the finest musicians available. Check the harmonica! Marvel at the bass! Wallow in the glorious sound of blues beaming from their ancestral (and modern) home. Buy this album!

Stop press. Voted in 2013 as one of Songlines top 25 albums from Mali. A well deserved accolade.