Profile for Mr. Gary Walker > Reviews

Content by Mr. Gary Walker

Mr. Gary Walker (Farnham, Surrey)

Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01UK 11.6-inch Laptop (2GB RAM, 16GB HDD)
Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01UK 11.6-inch Laptop (2GB RAM, 16GB HDD)
Offered by IT Trade Station Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars A Writer's Dream, 23 Nov 2012
As a writer, I wanted something lighter and more portable than my 15" Macbook pro--this fit the bill perfectly.

I've only owned my Samsung Chromebook for two days and I'm already totally in love with it. I had trawled the internet for a device that offered a few very specific features: lightness/portability, simplicity of use, affordability, and some kind of word processor. I considered a keyboard case for my iPad (the quality of the keyboards just wasn't good enough and they were often too small); following that I looked at dozens of netbooks, notebooks and laptops and everything was either too expensive (or not good value for money), too heavy, or too ugly.

Initially, I overlooked the Chromebook, put off by what I thought to be a complete lack of offline functionality. Thank goodness I did my research! Now that certain things can be downloaded to the (fairly limited) on board memory, allowing offline access to documents saved on Google Drive, as well as reading previously downloaded email and composing new ones--all of which synchronises once you have internet access--the Chromebook not only becomes a viable option for working on the go, it beats much of the competition.

The Chromebook looks beautiful; quite like a Macbook Air. Obviously, it's plastic, not aluminium, but then it's more than £600 cheaper! It's beautifully light and doesn't seems to suffer with overheating, even after several hours of use. The battery lasts well; yesterday I was online for about four hours and had 50% of my battery left when I turned in for the night.

The keyboard is excellent. At a guess, I'd say it was about 95% the size of the one on my Macbook. It's comfortable to type on and has a few customisable keys. Google Docs provides a more than adequate word processor, as well as spreadsheets and slideshow presentation software, though they're not a patch on MS Office, but still very good for online software.

The trackpad is very responsive, if a little rough to the touch, and does not support the 'pinch to zoom' or 'swipe back/forward' multi-touch gestures. It does have single finger click (obviously), two finger double-click, and two finger scrolling.

The screen lets the Chromebook down a bit. It has a matt finish (so reduced glare), and is not amazing quality. But it is perfectly adequate, has great brightness levels, and is really not that bad considering the Chromebook's price tag.

And what a price tag. In my opinion it's excellent value for money. I would highly recommend it to writers, students, maybe as a reasonably priced laptop for someone with teenage kids demanding gadgets for Christmas (the Chromebook handles multiple user accounts beautifully).

Overall, very impressed. Ideally I would have liked to give it 4.5 stars, deducting the half for the reduced quality screen.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2013 3:48 PM GMT

Paul (Blu-ray + DVD)
Paul (Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by Champion Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 18 Jun 2011
This review is from: Paul (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)
I loved this movie, it was well filmed with good effects and a great cast. I would definitely recommend it as it's one of those movies that you'll happily revisit on a rainy day so well worth adding to the collection!

Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray Disc Player 1080p Full HD
Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray Disc Player 1080p Full HD

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy your DVD's at a new level and be amazed by Blu Ray., 23 Nov 2008
Superb. Stylish, good quality and the remote is fine. I use Bravia Sync through my 46" Sony Bravia TV and it works really well. Load up time is anything from 5 to 15 seconds depending on the amount of content on each disc I guess so not bad at all. Very pleased with the build quality.

Standard definition DVD's look incredible - not quite Blu Ray which is mind-blowing but very close. I've tried Stardust, Lord of the Rings, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk so far on normal DVD's which I think is a pretty good mix of light and dark and even on a screen the size of mine the picture quality is a huge improvement. Very dark scenes which used to show a lot of pixelation are so much better and sometimes I am quite honestly hard-pressed to tell the difference from Blu Ray...but I can because BR is frankly stunning. Nice rich sound, incredible picture clarity and wonderfully vivid color almost to the point of feeling 3D sometimes.

Well done again to Amazon for excellent delivery times as well as a special mention to Sony - register your player online (get the serial number of the back before you plug it all in!) and Sony send you Casino Royale and Batman Begins on Blu Ray - excellent movies and they look incredible. I received mine in 2 days which took me completely by surprise as they say to allow up to 28 days for delivery. I know everyone hasn't had them as quickly but you never know, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones.

So - I can highly recommend Amazon, Sony, this BR player and watching both DVD's and Blu Ray movies on it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2008 1:19 PM GMT

Philips HQ7390/17 Williams F1 Mains Rechargeable Shaver
Philips HQ7390/17 Williams F1 Mains Rechargeable Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider me Converted., 14 Nov 2008
This is the first time I have tried using an electric shaver and I am hugely impressed. The build quality is excellent. The battery seems to be very good as I'm on my 8th or 9th shave since the first charge and it's still going strong. It's quiet and the shave itself is excellent.

It says in the booklet that it can take 2-4 weeks for your skin to adapt to using an electric shaver and it's quite right. Each shave gets closer and I am completely free of even the tiniest patch of shaving rash for the first time in a decade!

Also, a very nice design in conjunction with Williams. Maybe not as important a fact as the function and usability of the shaver but true nonetheless.

I would happily recommend both this product and Amazon. I ordered on Saturday afternoon (free super saver) and it arrived on Wednesday - excellent.