Profile for J. Clutton > Reviews

Content by J. Clutton

J. Clutton "jacqui" (cheshire)

Page: 1 | 2
Top Moka Top 3 Cup Teflon Italian Coffee Maker - Dark Blue
Top Moka Top 3 Cup Teflon Italian Coffee Maker - Dark Blue
Offered by Electrics Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little machine, 25 Sep 2014
I couldn't be happier with this purchase. I love coffee but I'm the only coffee drinker in my household so I only need a small volume machine but I'm not a fan of cafetieres. I have been very tempted by 'pod' machines, but since I only drink black coffee it seemed like a bit of a waste of functionality and I can't stretch to a genuine espresso machine.
I read around a lot and watched quite a few videos on youtube before deciding to give a moka pot a try. I decided to go for the Top Moka over more popular machines like the Bialetti as I was swayed by it's claims that 'the built in heat diffuser and double-bottom boiler make scorching virtually impossible for smooth, rich coffee that's never bitter'.
The machine itself comes packaged in a brightly coloured cardboard box. You will probably need a gas ring reducer if you are using a gas stove as I do as the diameter of the lower boiler is approx 9cm (3.5"). This box indicates that this machine is suitable for all hob types, including induction.
The manufacturer recommends that for a new machine the first 3 coffee brews are discarded so this gave me a chance to get used to the brewing method. A couple of website's recommend using boiled water to start off the brew so this is what I did the first 2 times, however I found this resulted in the coffee being produced too quickly even when my gas ring was set to the lowest level - almost every article I've read says that the coffee should take 5 minutes to start appearing in the upper chamber for the best brew. The 3rd time I brewed I used water straight from the tap and this seems to be the best way to get a brew time of 5 minutes for my hob.
I have been making 'Americano' style coffee with my moka pot, I use about half the volume of coffee produced in the 3 cup pot and top it up with boiled water (my preferred coffee mug is quite small, I think I top up to around 250ml of coffee) then save the remainder to make a 2nd cup with more hot water later in the day.

Osprey Rev Solo Bottle Pack
Osprey Rev Solo Bottle Pack
Price: £22.08 - £24.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy pack for longer runs, 22 Aug 2014
I use this bottle pack on my longer runs and have found it to be very comfortable. I bought it having seen a positive review in a running magazine. I am female and wear the belt with the bottle at the back after tightening it up around my waist. I find that I can remove and replace the bottle like this without having to turn the belt round using the hole in the neoprene bottle holder to secure the bottle, I don't use the toggle. I use the small pocket on the side to carry jelly sweets for energy and can also dip into that without having to fiddle or twist the belt round. I haven't used the top pocket to carry anything so can;t comment on it's suitability for a phone. The bottle itself has a good capacity and is reasonably easy to drink from on the move. When I'm running I can hear the water sloshing around which is the only slight downside.

Yogamatters yoga block, Orange
Yogamatters yoga block, Orange
Offered by Yogamatters Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Yogamatters yoga block (Misc.)
Nice lightweight blocks, I own 3 of these so I can stack them and use them for a number of different poses. The fact you can get them in different colours is a bonus.

Tara Stiles: This Is Yoga 4 DVD Box Set
Tara Stiles: This Is Yoga 4 DVD Box Set
Offered by Watch It Now UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Advanced yoga, 18 Jun 2014
This is the only yoga DVD I have ever used where I almost did myself a damage. The poses and routines on all the discs require far greater flexibility and balance than I have and I have fallen over twice while attempting the sequences from disc 2 which is the 'beginner' DVD. I have watched the 1st and 3rd DVDs but not attempted them. They are similar in terms of complexity and content to disc 2.
If you are an experienced practitioner then these are probably great workouts, I could feel the heat building as I practiced but I think it will be a while before I come back to these discs.
It is a shame because they are beautifully shot and obviously work for a lot of the reviewers on here. Tara's voice is soothing and I love her attitude and approach. For now though I'll be sticking to the total yoga collection by Tracey Rich and Ganga White.

Total Yoga Collection - 4 Disc Box Set [DVD]
Total Yoga Collection - 4 Disc Box Set [DVD]

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but, 18 Jun 2014
I find it very frustrating that each DVD contains a number of inverted poses then says you shouldn't carry out these poses when menstruating. No alternatives to the poses are given so I am unable to use these discs for a full practice for around a quarter of each month.
On the plus side they are very clearly narrated and are good for those who have some experience of yoga. It is nice to have the choice of 4 discs to add variety to your yoga practice. I would recommend them.

15-Minute Gentle Yoga: Get Real Results Anytime, Anywhere Four 15-minute workouts, also on DVD (15 Minute Fitness)
by Louise Grime
Edition: Flexibound

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to yoga, 18 Jun 2014
This book with accompanying DVD is a really useful aid for anyone looking to introduce yoga to their day.
There are four 15 minute sessions each followed by a 5 minute relaxation session. You can either practice one session, or combine sessions into a longer practice if you have the time.
The sessions in the book correspond exactly to those in the DVD making it a useful reference, especially the summary section for each session.
The DVD is clearly narrated and is easy to follow.
There is enough variation in the 4 sessions to keep my interest and I can usually fit 20 minutes (15 minute session + 5 minutes relaxation) in a day, making time for a longer practice at the weekend.

Under Armour   Victory Women's Tank Top
Under Armour Victory Women's Tank Top
Price: £14.00 - £55.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware chafing, not for runners, 1 April 2014
I have run in this top twice and both times experienced underarm chafing after only a couple of km which I think is caused by the bulky binding around the armhole rubbing on my arms as I move them back and forward whilst running. By the time I got home from a 5K run I had big painful red marks under my arms. I'll be wearing it for yoga and pilates from now on, but not for running. It's a good length for yoga as it won't ride up when you're stretching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect reading experience, 3 Jan 2014
I received this as a replacement for a Kindle Touch. I was happy with the touch, but the quality of the paperwhite screen is exceptional. I know some people are complaining about dark patches but I happily have no such issues with my kindle and would definitely recommend it. The navigation is much more intuitive than the kindle touch and I don't miss the home button one little bit. The only thing I do miss is the speaker which gave the ability to listen to audio, but didn't use it that much so can live without it for the ability to read in bed without disturbing my other half.

Merrell Women's Thelon Tank Sleeveless Top - Garnet, Small
Merrell Women's Thelon Tank Sleeveless Top - Garnet, Small

4.0 out of 5 stars Suit contortionist, 21 Nov 2013
I love the look of this top but it requires an amount of effort to get in and out of. This is because of the 4 shoulder straps and the fact that the sports bra is only fastened in in a few places. I must admit I assumed it was a full length support vest, but it is like a sports bra sewn into the top part of the top, and then the yellow band at the bottom is a a separate piece of fabric.
Once on it looks great and will definitely stay put for yoga and similar activities while providing useful support. I just need to be a bit more bendy to get in and out of it gracefully! Not one I'd ever want to get changed into or out of in a communal changing room.

Reebok Yoga Set (Including Dvd) - Wildberry
Reebok Yoga Set (Including Dvd) - Wildberry
Offered by Buffalo Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to get started, 21 Nov 2013
A really good set for yoga. The mat is a great size and thickness. It is non-slip and has a velcro strap to help you hold it together once rolled up. Not sure why the other colourways are so expensive from amazon, I've seeen them elsewhere for the same low price as the white set. Be aware that the white which I bought is more of a pale grey.
It is handy to find the block and strap included at such a good price and they seem robust.
The DVD covers a basic stretching workout which utilises the block and strap with a short warmup and then a main workout that is perhaps a little light on instruction for a complete beginner

Page: 1 | 2