Profile for CLARE MURRAY > Reviews

Content by CLARE MURRAY

CLARE MURRAY (LANCASTER UK)

How to Do Accents: The Essential Handbook for Every Actor
How to Do Accents: The Essential Handbook for Every Actor
by Edda Sharpe

4.0 out of 5 stars wow, finally it all makes sense!, 15 Nov 2008
It all makes sense now....I spent 3 years at Drama school, learning phonetics and accents. I often wondered why on earth we were learning what an explosive is, or whatever it's called? and why when ever I tried a Geordie accent I ended up sounding Norwegian or sort of Scottish but not remotely Geordie!
I really like the way the authors have mapped out a process and an easy system that actually makes sense. My accent awareness and 'muscles memory' HAS really improved. The 'top tips' and chapter summaries are really clear. It would be better if the tracks were printed on the CD and if the Accent tracks were clearly marked but thats a small point! cos you don't realise you're getting 12 native speakers on the CD,so its pretty good value for money.
Its also a book you can go back to! My American accent has really improved by learning about the 'Two Planets' or when to do an 'R' and when not to! I have started to notice things in others peoples accents. Its well worth the read and bet you use it time and time again...A lot of accent and phonetics books are really dry this so isn't! oh its pretty funny too!