Profile for Dave C > Reviews

Content by Dave C

Dave C "Condyk" (Birmingham, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
I-Rocks Mechanical Feel High-Scissor Structure Illuminated Gaming Keyboard
I-Rocks Mechanical Feel High-Scissor Structure Illuminated Gaming Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely keyboard comes highly recommended, 24 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
From the moment you collect the package you know this is a very nice, quality product. Open the box and the first impression continues. it sounds a tad silly, but the way an item is packaged, the thought that has gone into it, says a lot about whether a company cares about what it's produced. And this is really nice: a decent velcro cable tie for the USB wire not just some cheap coated wire, a protective bag with a specific entry hole for the USB wire, the snugness of the protective fit and the USB/Serial adaptor actually placed on the USB not just loose in the box. These little bits of caring cost money. A less concerned manufacturer wouldn't think to bother. So that is reflective of an approach.

And this keyboard does not disappoint once you connect it up. It is outstanding in use. There's nothing specifically unusable about the lay out and that helps. It really is plug and play. Auto-installs on plug in and then the keys are where you expect them. For me it's a day to day keyboard. I don't do games so won't comment on that side. The feel of the keys is wonderful. Really tactile with an very nice click action. height adjustment is simple and feels right.

The only big improvement I would like is to have it wireless. This has replaced a very nice Logitech wireless board and it seems yesterday's news to have a wire snaking back there again! The whole 'Golum' thing and the keys font is also a little lacking in style if you like. Some will like it, I like cleaner. Each to their own.

Highly recommended. Shop around for best price.

View Quest Christie DAB+ Radio and NFC/Bluetooth Speaker - Red
View Quest Christie DAB+ Radio and NFC/Bluetooth Speaker - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice 'bookshelf' item if you're into radio, 15 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I rather like this. It looks cool ... unless you look really closely ... sounds decent and is dead simple to use. Mine is the red model and the faux leather sleeve is classy more than brassy while the facia is kinda retro in a modern copy kinda way. It can sit upright or on its side and the 'dial' turns as necessary. So decent score on the looks.

Auto tune works well so you can be up and listening within a couple of minutes (including opening the box, taking it out, plugging it in and turning it on!) The misc controls are largely self-explanatory but the little instruction book fills in any gaps if needs be. I didn't need it. I said sound is decent and I wouldn't really go more on the enthusiasm scale than that. It's 'enclosed' and a tad 'digital' but then this is a small digital tuner not a £2000 hifi. In wins on portability and features. I haven't used the alarm functions so check out the other reviewers who have. I kinda agree the sound is a bit 'loud' on the minimum setting - I don't think it's excessive at all, but in a small room, if it's sat next you, then it feels you need an extra two notches down. Most rooms it'll likely be fine.

So a decent product that should get lots of use. I'm not quite sure I'd personally pay £100 for it as I'm not massive into radio, but if you like radio then go for it.

Tefal Preference Frying Pan, Non Stick, 26 cm
Tefal Preference Frying Pan, Non Stick, 26 cm
Offered by U Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars A good frying pan is a kitchen essential - this is it!, 13 May 2015
Absolutely love this frying pan! It's a good size, nice and thick, excellent non-stick, nice handle, looks good. 100% recommended.

Richardson Sheffield 5-Piece Sabatier Trompette Block with Scissors, Silver
Richardson Sheffield 5-Piece Sabatier Trompette Block with Scissors, Silver
Offered by Commerce Intelligence Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Hit the sweet spot of price, quality and performance, 2 May 2015
Pretty happy with these knives as they hit the sweet spot of quality and performance with a very decent and fair price. The block is fine and won't be out of place in a nice kitchen. Some blocks can seem cheap and nasty but this one is fine. The knives themselves all do the job. My favourite is the mid size with serrated edge. Ideal for veg and such. The chefs knife is perhaps a tad large for ease of use within a standard amateur kitchen, but is good and sharp, as are all the knives. The smallest knife is very handy for fiddly jobs like slicing garlic as it's comfortable and precise to use. The scissors are sharp and usable but arguably not quite the quality of the knives ... but they're a useful addition and probably more use to many than another mid sized knife. The bread knife is fine but I'd say not big enough to cut a standard loaf. I already have a good, large bread knife and this one just doesn't compare. I'll likely use it as another standard kitchen knife. Recommended for the amateur chef, but not really suited long term for professional use.

TONI&GUY  Men Styling Fibre 75 ml
TONI&GUY Men Styling Fibre 75 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this wax. It has a gorgeous smell and does the job, 1 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used waxes, foams, gel, brow drier, etc over the years and usually end up with some style or other that I can live with. I don't think my hair is particularly demanding. It's reasonably fine, short and straight. Not much challenge. So I like this wax. It has a gorgeous smell, like coconut ice-cream, that makes you want it eat it (I didn't!!) You rub it in your fingers and apply. It's a bit lighter than my usual wax and does need a tad more work, but overall I'd say it's a good product. I prefer what I use already, hence just 4****, tho' that could be simple, boring familiarity. I'll keep this for when the other stuff runs out ... unless I eat it first!

Circulon Infinite Hard Anodised French Skillet Frying Pan - 20 cm
Circulon Infinite Hard Anodised French Skillet Frying Pan - 20 cm
Offered by U Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality investment, 30 April 2015
Great quality, very usable small pan. Make sure the size suits, but if it does worth buying ... and good pans are a decade after decade investment in cooking pleasure.

Leitz Icon Smart Label Printer
Leitz Icon Smart Label Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible buy if you need to generate tidy, professional labels and look COOL!, 20 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
All I can say is WOW! This is an incredible buy if you need to generate super tidy, professional labels on a regular basis and with minimum fuss.

The first word that comes to mind, even before opening the box, is 'classy'. This is Apple standard in presentation and overall feel. Quality of build seems exceptional. It really does look super-cool on a desktop. I have a cheaper label printer that kinda hangs around behind the curtain near my desk. Yes, it works Ok, but it's not something I'd necessarily want visible and it's certainly way slower with reduced print quality compared to the Leitz. It's not a brand I'd heard of before but I will watch for it in future.

The label cartridges are just a tad confusing in that they are encased in cardboard. Maybe it's just me being a bit dim! As a typical male I rarely read instructions and I definitely learnt my lesson here. I ripped off the cardboard just at the moment I realised it's a housing and helps locate the cartridge in the printer cavity. Oh well!

The software downloads and installs fine. The print quality really is very good and the labels appear ridiculously quickly. The software itself is pretty easy and well set up to just get going right away. You can select from an address book if you have regular mail outs to the same folks, or easily type in a new contact using the templates. There's lots of features so your labels will be very happy. I like the ready made templates, pretty much all common uses are covered very well, with multiple options/examples to choose from. Just a click or two gets you a perfect shipping label for example, all ready with appropriate formatting that you can simply over type. The favourites menu allows you to store your favourite templates which is very handy, saves a second or two every time.

So all in this is super impressive. I just can't believe the £100 or so price. It feels like it should cost maybe twice as much!

Skechers Men's Diamondback Levon Trainers White Weiß (Ofwt) Black Schwarz (BKTN), 9 UK (43 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars For this type of shoe they're good quality, 15 April 2015
These are really great shoes. I got the size 43 UK 9 and they are the perfect fit. There is some very good cushioning inside so one of the standard critiques of 'pump' style shoes is dealt with. They steer a careful line between scruffy and stylish. They have all the looks of a cool pair of pumps and you can wear them right out the box without everyone noticing your shiny new shoes. For the type they're good quality - decent laces, well stitched, and good overall design. Hard to fault these at £24 and I'd expect to get a lot of use from them.

PhotoSEL BG411 Sling Bag with Rain Cover for DSLR Cameras and Accessories - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough to do the job and at a friendly price, 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For the price this is a very decent and flexible sling bag for walkaround usage. It'll take a dslr and a couple of lenses, plus a few odds and sods. The misc storage areas, all well padded, means there's room for a few items beyond just camera gear. It's reasonably adjustable but not super comfortable - it's Ok tho! It is also quite small but once again not too bad to make it a big deal. But forget about storing larger gear because there just isn't the space for a pro body and say a 24-70 2.8 and 70-200mm for example. This is more an enthusiast amateur bag and the pricing and build quality reflect that. In conclusion good enough to do the job and at a friendly price.

Maclaren Smoothing Delicate Soap
Maclaren Smoothing Delicate Soap

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice soap that's unfortunately way overpriced, 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off this is a very nice soap. It's rich and creamy and it certainly leaves skin feeling smooth and cared for. I had no problems with stinging eyes and it smells quite nice too. The downer tho' is clearly going to be price despite all the branding shouting 'added value' at you.

It comes with a nice tissue wrapper to raise the perceived value levels, then a recycled style box saying things like 'soothing', delicate, '100% organic, etc, etc. Well that's all very fine indeed, but seriously £8.41 for a single bar and not a large bar at that. It's smaller than my standard and still costs times the price.

So while I like the soap it just can't add enough value to my life to justify the frankly silly price! I'm left with the feeling that parents are kinda being exploited by this pricing, especially those for whom 'only the best will do'. I'm not sure I feel comfortable with that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20