Profile for stropy jock > Reviews

Walter Schellenberg: The Memoirs of Hitler's Spymaster
Walter Schellenberg: The Memoirs of Hitler's Spymaster
Price: 12.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing read but..., 4 Mar 2014
Read like a thriller but obvious omission regarding treatment of Jews. It has to be borne in mind when book was written i.e early 1950's. Schellenberg was clearly a formidable operator in the field of espionage and was clearly capable of navigating his way through the minefield of Nazi politics, that he survived the war having had to deal will ruthless and unsavoury characters such as Hedyrich. Mueller and Himmler et al is remarkable in its self.

Even given its age this book is well worth the read if only for an insight from an "insiders" perspective but the reader has to always remember for as astute and articulate Walter Schellenberg comes across he was still a commited member of the Nazi party all be it with more intelligence than most of the rest.

La Futura (Booklet Version) [+digital booklet]
La Futura (Booklet Version) [+digital booklet]
Price: 7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry but this is poor, 22 Feb 2013
I have been a fan of ZZ Top for many years and although they haven't really been at theie best for a while I stuck with them until now. This album is just not up to scratch for me.

Seven Deadly Sins
Seven Deadly Sins

5.0 out of 5 stars LA LA Land well and truly exposed.., 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Seven Deadly Sins (Kindle Edition)
I read the Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton first to get a riders perspective before reading David Walsh's account of getting to the truth.

A remarkable piece of journalism over such a long period of time at great personal cost to many of those involved. In this sad story there are not many that come out with their heads held high but for me apart from Walsh, Kimmage and Ballester the outstanding characters are
Emma O'Reilly and the Andreau's.

The only hope is for the main players to be able to admit their guilt without a following witchunt and clear the decks once and for all. OH and another thing clear out the UCI as well as its clearly not fit for purpose reminds me of another organisation based in Switzerland...!

The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 23 Dec 2012
Utterly absorbing account of the dark days of pro cycling. Reads like a spy or thriller novel rather than a sports bio. The subterfuge and deception employed to evade detection was incredible. In fairness to Tyler Hamilton he doesn't look to the reader for sympathy but does his best to explain why he and others made the choices they did. Sadly until a couple of the main protagonists finally feel able to hold their hand up I don't think cycling will really be able to move on properly . The best book I've read this year by far.

Moonwalker
Moonwalker
Price: 6.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but !!, 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: Moonwalker (Kindle Edition)
As a child if the sixties I very much grew up with the Apollo program and as far as Mr. Dukes career goes this was a cracking read. I did however find the religious part a bit heavy going but that's just me as I'm really not a god person.

Black Ice (Deluxe)
Black Ice (Deluxe)
Price: 8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed (But it's a grower), 21 Oct 2008
This review is from: Black Ice (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I've been an AC/DC fan for almost 30 years and having heard the promising opening track I was really anticipating the release of "Black Ice" . It is with great disappointment that I think this AC/DC's worst ever album or at least the worst since "Blow Up Your Video" in 1988.

To me there are no really memorable tracks on the album, "Rock n Roll Train", War Machine" and "Stormy May Day" are O.K, the title track dirge the rest are just forgettable.
The whole album lacks any energy and is very laboured almost as though the guys are going through the motions.

The whole point about AC/DC is they are a straight forward rock / boogie band that's what they do best so why change ? Usually a new AC/DC album (or at least some of it ) will bring a big grin over the face and start the old feet tapping but for me sadly not this time.

Sadly guys I think it maybe time to finally call it a day but please don't make this your final album a Greatest Hits or a new Live Retrospective would be a great way to finish.

A final note to Angus put the schoolboy kit in the wardrobe it's now looking too close to the Krankies..

28/10 After a week or so of listening I have to say this is starting to grow on me. I do find that I'm going back to Big Jack, Spoiling for a Fight,Stormy May Day and Black Ice (which is a surprise given I thought it was dirge first time around !!). Icant get into Anything Goes or Money Made which is terrible.

Overall I'd have to say I'm now at the stage where my feet are tapping and I'm smiling, at least for some of the tracks. Good have been better though..A grower but NOT B in B.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2008 4:36 PM GMT