Profile for rickshayne > Reviews

rickshayne

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Dolly
Dolly

5.0 out of 5 stars 4CDs, 64-page book, all official, for 11 pounds. What are you waiting for?, 26 Nov 2014
This review is from: Dolly (Audio CD)
Smaller reissue of the 2009 box, terrific value £11!!!! 4 CDs, 64-page color book, all for 11 Pounds!

Alien Vault: The Definitive Story Behind the Film
Alien Vault: The Definitive Story Behind the Film
by Ian Nathan

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have. A terrific companion to one of the best movies of the history of modern movies, 24 Aug 2014
This book is a must-have for any fans of the movie. A MUST-HAVE! I first saw it in France where it was issued with a different cover, the xenomorph's mouth (which is the back of the book in this edition), a solid good-sized hardcover book.
It's what everybody wanted to know about this movie.
Not only does it tell a lot of backstories about the movie, it also fills it with personal experiences from the crew, people from the industry. Even the writer's own recollection of the movie. It's like watching the movie with a pop-up commentary.
It has a lot of praise, and so if you are totally in love with this movie, this book will make you so happy. I never thought I could like a book this way. Seriously, buy it, you will not regret it.
There are a lot of pictures, but there is a lot of text, and coming from someone like me who usually only loves picture books, this text is very welcome, because I can never get enough of reading about this iconic movie, especially if it's praise. Because, let's face it, it's a masterpiece. Hands down.

The book is covered by an opaque film, the front is Ripley in her space suit, the back is the xenomorph's mouth. The spine is glossy/laminated, as it's the only part of the book that can be seen when it's inside the box, which is also laminated. Here's where I think the French edition made it better: it is all opaque and velvety.
The front of the box is what is show here, the egg and the green light coming out of it. Classic.
There are several pages in the book that are pockets containing reproductions of early poster variations, storyboards, even the Nostromo's crew suit patch as sticker! It's good value for money.

Horse Meat Disco 2
Horse Meat Disco 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great instalment, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: Horse Meat Disco 2 (Audio CD)
After volume 4 and 3, I finally got 2. I love these compilations and I think every fan of 70s or 80s music should get them.
I cannot vouch for the transfer quality, but I am usually a hater of noise reductions and raised volumes, and I can't say I hear them here, or maybe I don't expect crystal clear sound from a dj set.
So many tracks stand out as top notch, Stephanie Mills (that breakdown is orgasmic) and Sherrie Payne (it's all about the ad-libs).

HORSE MEAT DISCO III
HORSE MEAT DISCO III

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music compilation with good flow, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: HORSE MEAT DISCO III (Audio CD)
I hesitated a lot before finally buying a Horse Meat Disco compilation. I had no idea what the name meant, and barely knew any of the names in the cd, even though I have a huge collection.
I started with Volume IV and I liked it a lot. So I decided to get volumes 2 and 3 together. I cannot stop playing them.
Yes I agree that anything in the 80s onwards is not really disco, and so many tracks are new recordings there, however I think the compilation flows very nicely and it's a great great music mix from late 70s/early 80s flavored music. I don't own volume 1 yet, but I think these are a great addition to any collection. Here's to volume 5!

Date & Switch [DVD] [2014] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Date & Switch [DVD] [2014] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Gary Cole
Offered by supermart_usa

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, not entertaining, 20 Aug 2014
A boring movie, bottom of the barrel, not entertaining at all, and the gay factor is almost zero.

Heat It Up
Heat It Up
Offered by positivenoise

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good remaster., 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: Heat It Up (Audio CD)
As usual, the cheery red and its imprints like big break records reissue albums by using various sources, all uncredited. So it should come as no surprise that some tracks are sourced from vinyl, but they don't tell you, they hide this and make you think they are proper remaster.

For example, the Shep Pettibone mixes of Seconds. Take for example the first seconds of his first Mix, you can barely hear the vocals. So many noise-reduction filters have been used throughout the whole tracks that not only does it sound horrible, it sounds so out of place with the whole album preceding it.
Be warned. You're better off getting the vinyl and ripping it yourself.

Movie 43 [DVD]
Movie 43 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad that it's really not good. Don't waste your time. Feel sorry for those actors., 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: Movie 43 [DVD] (DVD)
I feel bad for all those actors who were either coerced into doing this film based on agreements done before they had no idea what this was going to be. I would want to be as far from this movie as possible.
The level of bad taste of this movie is unbelievable and it's really, really not funny. I finally stopped after one hour during the black baseball locker room scene. Do not waste money on this crap.

My New Best Friend [DVD]
My New Best Friend [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gena Rowlands
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful image quality, 22 April 2014
This review is from: My New Best Friend [DVD] (DVD)
If you are wondering why the awful cheap front sleeve for this dvd, if you decide on buying it, you will find out.
The image is awful and the screen ratio is wrong. This is why James Caan and Gena Rowlands look so freakish on the front cover.
I honestly can't understand how a movie with two legendary Oscar-nominated actors ends up being distributed so sloppy.

Disco Recharge: Masquerade/Black Russian
Disco Recharge: Masquerade/Black Russian

1.0 out of 5 stars The pits!, 19 Feb 2014
Oh my my, Disco Recharge please stop reissuing just about anything that Boris Midney produced!
Yes he did some very good albums but the last ones you chose to reissue are just so bad that should have been left forgotten.
Particularly I am referring to Pinocchio. The perfect example of how Disco became probably hated by many. Just take ANY subject and turn it into a disco album. Not a good idea.
This is the classic simple, bad, elementary music coupled with the "classic" female voices screeching whatever silly "lyric" was thought of. You put down a bunch of words related to the subject and ask the vocalists to sing them.
The disco album of Evita was already bad IMO, but this certainly surpassed that. Can I give it zero stars please? Don't waste your money on this one. I trust Disco Recharge and buy all their reissues but I am going to have to now spend some time and youtube the next planned releases to ensure I'm not spending more money for this kind of garbage. Yes, garbage. Why are you hell-bent on reissuing everything by Boris Midney? If it's no good, it's no good, no point in resurrecting it. There are a lot more project deserving a reissue treatment.

Disco Recharge: The Duncan Sisters
Disco Recharge: The Duncan Sisters

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dance album, 19 Feb 2014
I've been purchasing all Disco Recharge releases because quite frankly I trust their taste. I don't really like some of their reissues however, and last week I received the Pinocchio reissue and I thought that it was simply a waste of resources. I have never listened to anything that bad. Really the bottom of the barrel.
Cue receipt of The Duncan Sisters, whom I knew nothing about. I didn't remember that Boys Will Be Boys is on a Disco Discharge album.
I was not even going to play it because I feared the worst given the latest disappointment.
But as soon as the music started playing, I was so relieved at what kind of music I was hearing! Really pleased!
There isn't a song I don't like. I really like their voices, the music, how it all works together, even the slower songs.
I highly recommend this! Can't believe this is from 1979, I would have said early 80s.
Thank you Disco Recharge.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6