Profile for Monkey > Reviews

Monkey

Page: 1 | 2
Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel
Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not a bad book, but many of the characters seem to ..., 23 Oct 2014
It's not a bad book, but many of the characters seem to function more as place-holders and are not developed past basic archetypes, this may be a problem of trying to compress many events into so short a book. The material present wouldn't stretch to more books, but what's there could easily be expanded upon to do just that. There are some interesting plot points, but it feels like there's not much of a literary journey between them to the point of deus ex machina in places. I have enjoyed Christopher L. Bennett's works far more, especially the D.T.I (Department of Temporal Investigations) stories.

Merkur 41C DE 1904 Open Comb Safety Razor
Merkur 41C DE 1904 Open Comb Safety Razor
Offered by Shave Lounge

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely built, poorly designed., 16 Sep 2014
The build quality is fine, nice chrome, not Edwin Jagger nice, but almost. The relief on the handle is not as prominent as the lighting in the photo suggests, and can be quite slippery. The razor's a bit awkward since there's no blade gap between the teeth. This means an effective shave needs more than one pass in any direction no matter how good a blade you're using, it's mild enough to get away with this though. For shaving my face, I found it was handy and maneuverable, but lacked the weight or aggressiveness to be truly effective. It is good for shaving my head though, although I've found the Edwin Jagger DE89 better still in both areas.

I will go back to this razor and try shimming it as some have suggested, but since it's not supplied with one, I see no reason to review it in the context of having one.

Ben Sherman Men's Quartz Watch with Grey Dial Analogue Display and Black PU Strap BS042
Offered by Buy Me Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch, tells the time, but not much else., 16 Sep 2014
It's currently 8:58PM. My watch agrees. Therefore it is working. Aside from that, it looks as good/bad/whatever as it does in the picture. If you like how it looks and want to know what the time is, it's money well spent. However, it's not an iWatch. It doesn't have apps, It doesn't have 5 dials. It doesn't have an alarm. It just sits there, looking stylish for a very fair price. And you know what the time is. The strap isn't the most durable leather ever, there's already some wear. But it's fine for the price. It's now 8:59PM. It still works!

Edwin Jagger DE89L Lined Detail Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor
Edwin Jagger DE89L Lined Detail Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Razor for DE shaver beginner., 16 Sep 2014
This is a quality razor. The fit and finish of this is brilliant, it screws together smoothly but tightly and the blade sits straight with no effort, and the chrome-work is gorgeous. As far as shaving goes, I've tried it with Wilkinson Sword, Dorko and Feather blades. I find with a feather it's able to shear through stubble without much effort, but you don't feel at risk of slicing your face up. It has a nice heft to it, and it is enough to do the job without being overly aggressive. I had tried jumping in at the deep end with a Merkur 39C slantbar, and while I could manage it, this is a pleasure to use and more forgiving of mistakes. I'm sure I'll flirt with the Merkur again sooner or later, but this is all the razor I need for now.

Semogue Boar Shaving Brush Model 1305
Semogue Boar Shaving Brush Model 1305
Offered by Portuguese Factory

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice brush for a great price., 16 Sep 2014
It's breaking in nicely, lathers up well, doesn't retain water too much but it *is* boar, not badger. For the money, boar tends to out-do badger unless you spend far more. This works up a nice lather, has a good heft in the hand, is a comfortable size, and it looks very good. Very pleased.

Merkur 39C Slant Bar DE Long Handled Safety Razor
Merkur 39C Slant Bar DE Long Handled Safety Razor
Offered by Prut

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as fearsome as some reviews would lead you to believe, 19 Jun 2014
First of all, this is an excellent razor. It is also my first foray into DE shaving. "WHAT? YOU'RE GOING STRAIGHT FOR THE SLEDGEHAMMER???" I hear you cry, yes dear reader. That's precisely what I'm doing. I've got a heavy, if not dense, beard. In that the hair is coarse and wiry. It also takes a lot to get a clean shave and very little is required to give me shaving rash. This does it with minimum rash and i saw no point in spending extra money on a razor I'd only be "working past" toward this anyhow.

Here's a few examples of things that did not happen when I went in at the deep end: I did not decapitate myself. I did not die from blood loss. I did not remove my lips then have to glue them back on. I did not shave a hole in the space time continuum. In fact, it's surprisingly user friendly if you just take it easy and prepare yourself first. I don't just mean pre-shave prep, watch some videos on the internet's leading free video sharing website. If you try to use it like a cartridge razor, then yes, you're going to probably have a mishap, but I can't see this being different for any other DE razor. Don't fear the Slant Bar, just treat it good, and it'll treat you good. The weight allows the blade to do the work rather than you, and the length means it sits nicely in my big silly ape paws. Very nicely put together as well. First time I've EVER had a BBS shave on my face, neck and head. I'm well chuffed.

Also, it's taken me a few experiments to figure out which blades I like best, this is important. If you get it and don't like how it shaves with the blade it comes with, try others. The ones I've found work for me are Wilkinson Sword. The blade makes all the difference and preference varies greatly from person to person.

I'm not going to lie by the way, it does feel mighty manly shaving with something called "The Sledgehammer".

Osma Bloc - Alum Block 75g (Soothes Shaving Irritation)
Osma Bloc - Alum Block 75g (Soothes Shaving Irritation)

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly effective, 19 Jun 2014
I get terrible shaving rash. Seeking a close shave without looking like a part man, part lobster hybrid, I got a double edged razor. I've not long ditched a beard after 8 years so my face/neck aren't as razor-ready as most probably are, but this stuff does what you expect it to. I got cuts, this stopped the bleeding. It stung a little, but it's a good "ooh, this is working" sting. And I get almost no rash in comparison. I'm very pleased with it. Do not drop it though, it'll chip very easily. Also dry it after use.

Philips AquaTouch AT899/16, Wet and Dry Fully Waterproof Shaver with Flexing Heads

2.0 out of 5 stars Clearly always on offer., 19 Jun 2014
After using several times, it's still a pain. It takes several passes and still requires touch up work after, and causes all of the irritation of a cartridge razor without any of the convenience of an electric due to having to make so many passes. Wet or dry, it chews my neck up. Maybe you'll have better luck. Battery life/charge time are also poor, and the lack of any kind of edging tool does not work in it's favor either. I'm not sure what to expect for £40, but don't expect a £100 shaver. You're most certainly not getting one.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if it's me or the boot, 22 Feb 2014
I've had my pair of these for just over a year now. They're in pretty good shape overall, but some drying and cracking of the leather means the usual creases you get just before the toe cap have actually cracked, and some holes have formed. The other two pairs of DMs I've owned have lasted 11 and 8 years respectively.

I think if I had used something like Wonder Balsam, these could well have lasted just as long, they were factory issued PPE where I work, so in all fairness have seen far more in the way of abuse. On the plus side though, they broke in surprisingly quick and were ridiculously comfortable. The leather, where it hasn't dried out is tough but supple. I'd consider getting another pair just to see if the balsam increases the resistance to drying out.

Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam
Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam
Offered by Branded Outlet

5.0 out of 5 stars Like cheat mode for boots., 20 Feb 2014
I was a little dubious, but this has done precisely what it claims to have done, and with very little effort. I'm eyeing up all manner of footwear, belts and even an old jacket now with a mind to wonder-balsam it. The tub does look very small, but it takes very little of it to get the job done to be honest. I'm very pleased with it.

Page: 1 | 2