Profile for Richard Ellicott > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
10,000 Days
10,000 Days

3.0 out of 5 stars That exact same riff again, 7 May 2006
This review is from: 10,000 Days (Audio CD)
As much as I love tool, and have been praying for them to finally release somthing at last. I'm not sure I'm glad I got what I wished for.

On one hand it's a good album, I can definatly chill to, but on the other this isn't going to be a very memorable album.

The problem is now it sounds like Tool are in a rut most this new album.

The lyrics sound exactly the same, the guitar sounds the same, the bass lines sound the same....

Mabey you can't fault it for anything other than a complete lack of innovation but for me that's by far enough.

Rossetta Stoned for example, sounds like they descided to play extracts from parabola again and various others all mashed into one incoherant whole.

If that wasn't enough one track, Vigniti Tres, is actually just stupid noises they've come up with, perhaps while stoned.

Lipan Conjuring is moderatly enjoable, just some pure vocal tribal singers (probabally conjuring somthing) for approximatly a minute.

Lost Keys is entertaining as it has dialougue in the background involving a doctor conforting a patient, then it actually breaks into that exact same riff again. Play it you'll know which exact same riff I'm talking about.

Admittedly I'm playing this album and theres some good tracks to be had, I'm gonna enjoy it breifly, because it's more Tool.

But after that I'm going to forget about it.

This album will ultimatly amount to a dilution of my memory of their previous greats.

If you havn't heard Tool before, don't you dare buy this, pretend it never happened and get yourself a copy of Anemia which truely is a concept album (or if mabey you don't want to travel back in time 10 years get Lateralus instead, also incredible)

My Life With The Spirits: The Adventures of a Modern Magician: A Magical Autobiography
by Lon Milo DuQuette

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is, 13 Nov. 2005
This book is an autobiography and should be approched as such, for it contains no details or instructions for the reader to practise magick of any sort.
For practicle stuff refer to his other book "Angels, Demons and Gods of the New Millennium" Which contains the more technical details.
I'm very much enjoying this authors work at the moment, this book is well a well written and entertaining account of a modern magicians adventures through life. Do we know he's geniunie? Of course we don't, but I have to admit reading it strikes a cord of the possible possibilities.
His other book "Angels, Demons and Gods of the New Millennium" is very much more adorned with the techincal details and more practicle quabalistic stuff, I would reccomend it also, but personally I enjoyed reading this book as an introduction to the man first.
In his accounts he describes his teens and adolecant drug taking years/spiritual seeking years (of which I can relate to as that's me now), leading on to more interesting stories of ritual magic and evoking goetic and enochian spirits etc.
Well written and a great introduction to a man who has a lot to say. If you'r needing some quabalistic help with understanding the works of aeistar crowley evaporate this guys work, especially the former mentioned book and "The Chicken Qubalah".
Don't be put off by mentors of good humour.

Linear Accelerator
Linear Accelerator

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of filler but still a interesting musical direction, 10 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Linear Accelerator (Audio CD)
I think this is a love or hate type album as both previous reviews show.
It's a bit weird after all, but for those who like somthing different...
Unlike the previous album, Gesamtkunstwerk, which I'm personally a great fan of, they've gone for much more ambient type sounds and longer tracks.
Like the First album, repetation is the key, and everythings kept very simple, but it's this I think that makes them stand out.
While I'm not such a great fan of the opening two tracks which are mostly industrial noise, I really love the rest of the album.
It's superb chilling music lending itself extremely well to altered states of conciousness.
While i really love a lot of the album, especially the haunting loop of Myon-Neutrino, I think that the first two tracks are pretty dull, and given that they 21 and 14 minutes each. Though they are still interesting. 4 Stars

How to Become a Ninja: Secrets from Ashida Kim's Training Camp
How to Become a Ninja: Secrets from Ashida Kim's Training Camp
by James Jennings

1.0 out of 5 stars this book is just trying to cash in on Ashida's Sucess, 29 Feb. 2004
Has no-one noticed that this book is NOT by Ashida Kim.
How come everyone is writing off Ashida as a fake, when this is THIRD PARTY MATERIAL. If this is your first delve into Ashida's martial arts books, then surely buy one written by him.
I loved "The Invisible Ninja" myself. I'd highly recommend it for some really interested in the art of evading ones enemies. But for anyone really new to martial arts, I don't personally think Ashida is your teacher, I have instead been awe struck by "Wong Kiew Kits" amazing books.
This would serve as your foundation, because to follow Ashida's works, you first need the leg strength that the low Stances will give you, you need them to be natural, you also need the energy to perform,
Most importantly you need to see the results that following a simple but effective regime will give, this gives you your most important asset:
Enthusiasm :)

Digimortal (Digi)
Digimortal (Digi)
Offered by MUSIC-4-THE-MASSES

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but not obsolete, 14 May 2001
This review is from: Digimortal (Digi) (Audio CD)
Don't let me sound like I'm being negative, I love this, but i feel its essentially a sequal album, a further development. Some of the synth effects are up to NIN standards, some tracks even have a spaced out kinda feel. The only track i don't love is the nu-metal rap kinda thing "Back the f*** up" but then again, it does look down on all the other nu-metal we get these days. Unfortunatly, and unsuprisingly, so therefore at no dissapointment, it dosn't have the same affect as obsolete.

Down In It
Down In It
Offered by EliteDigital UK

2.0 out of 5 stars You have to be a real fan., 27 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Down In It (Audio CD)
I like the song, but as far as a single goes, it's not good value. Concidering the song's on "pretty hate machine" The two remixes are frankly crap, but being a total nin obsessive, at least itz compleated my halo collection. I found it very hard to find differences in one remix. If you'r like me and you want each and every b-side, you'll probabally buy it. But if not, go for one of the remix ep's (further down the spiral), or failing that, the closer and march of the pigs singles.
Two stars, because i've seen worse singles.

Page: 1 | 2