Profile for Marts > Reviews

Ubuntu Kung Fu: Tips, Tricks, Hints, and Hacks: Tips, Tricks and Hacks
Ubuntu Kung Fu: Tips, Tricks, Hints, and Hacks: Tips, Tricks and Hacks
by Keir Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 27 Feb 2009
Clear and concise. Keir Thomas has a very engaging writing style that takes you through things step by step without coming across as the complete techy he clearly is.

The review above is misleading. Ignore it. "Ampers" (cool nickname btw) obviously hasn't read the book and probably hasn't even read the description properly as the book is 400 pages long not 40.
And well worth it.

Wahl Chrome Pro Mains Hair Clipper Set & Instructional DVD 79524-800
Wahl Chrome Pro Mains Hair Clipper Set & Instructional DVD 79524-800

2.0 out of 5 stars underpowered, 25 Feb 2009
I would not recommend these. Wahl have a great reputation so why they have decided to sully it by issuing this budget clipper set is beyond me. I have short hair and these struggled to cut it every four to six weeks.
Do yourself a favour and don't bother - spend out on the more pro-spec Wahl clippers - they sell on amazon for around £40. You'll save money (and ripped out clumps of hair) in the long run

Black Man (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Black Man (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Richard Morgan

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 13 Aug 2007
Like other reviewers Altered carbon and the other Kovacs novels blew me away. I haven't stopped talking about them or recommending them to others for years. I couldn't wait for Black Man and dropped all other books to read it as soon as it arrived. Slowly it dawned on me that this was nothing like the mind blowing stuff Morgan has written before. I had to force myself to struggle through to a predictable and medicore ending that I really didn't give a stuff about. This was basically a second-rate detective story rather than ground breaking sci-fi thriller.
Sad really. I hope he gets his mojo back for the future.

Gridlinked (Ian Cormac)
Gridlinked (Ian Cormac)
by Neal Asher

4.0 out of 5 stars A good beginning, 22 April 2005
An excellent debut novel. Seemed a bit fussy in certain areas and the ending is rather confusing. Hopefully it will become clearer in future books. I have to agree with some other reviewers comments on Dragon though - It started out as an intersting alien creature and turned into one of the kids from Little Angels. All in all a good read, if not as technically fascinating as Iain M Banks et. al.