Profile for Grim Git > Reviews

Sumvision Power X3 500W Power Supply 500 Watt PC ATX PSU 2xSATA, 24PIN
Sumvision Power X3 500W Power Supply 500 Watt PC ATX PSU 2xSATA, 24PIN
Offered by DigiDirect

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but nasty PSU, 26 Jan. 2015
BOUGHT THIS FOR A QUICK FIX 'CAUSE I'M SKINT. IT'S UTTERLY GHASTLY. CHEAP AND NASTY. VERY LIGHTWEIGHT AND HAS NO POWER ON/OFF SWITCH.
OK, IT WORKS, BUT FOR HOW LONG I WONDER..... I HAVE NO CONFIDENCE IN IT AT ALL.
OH, AND IF YOU'RE WONDERING WHY I'M HAVING TO SHOUT IT'S BECAUSE THE FAN IS SO BLOODY LOUD !!!

I'd strongly suggest you look for a different PSU. And if you can afford it spend at least twice as much on a decent one like the Coolermaster 500w :-)

WWK Mens Boilersuits Overalls Coverall Mechanic Work College (46", Black)
WWK Mens Boilersuits Overalls Coverall Mechanic Work College (46", Black)
Offered by WWK

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 6 Sept. 2014
I've used a similar boilersuit (purchased from Screwfix) for brushcutting and its lasted several years but was wearing a little thin in places so thought I'd replace it with this WWK suit. Having read other reviews that the suit can be a little on the small side I went for the next size up, but there was probably no need as the sizing of this suit seems to be in line with the sizing of my previous Screwfix one.
The material is as expected. It won't give years of constant use such as crawling on your knees, but is fine for my purpose i.e. brushcutting for a few hours maybe twice a week through the growing season. And at this price point I wasn't expecting otherwise.
The first suit sent to me had a damaged fastener, but WWK sent a replacement within days. Good service so I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive - FFP
SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive - FFP

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast but flimsy, 25 Jun. 2014
Currently one of the fastest memory sticks out there. Even on USB 2.0 the speed is roughly double those of my old OCZ Turbo stick. And at 64GB it is large and fast enough to comfortably run an operating system on it, should you want to.

The only negative is I'm rather disappointed with the plasticky build quality at the price point. I just hope it doesn't end up on the floor and someone accidentally treads on it as I fear it won't take much punishment.

ATekCity Car Audio Stereo In Dash 12V Fm Receiver with Mp3 Player & USB SD Input AUX Receiver + Remote Control
Offered by ATekCity

3.0 out of 5 stars ATekCity Car Audio Stereo In Dash 12V Fm Receiver with Mp3 Player & USB..., 20 April 2014
My wife having purchased an old banger in which to learn to drive, and the previous owner having walked away with her existing car stereo leaving a yawning cavern in the dash populated by dangling wires, my primary concern was to find something cheap and cheerful to 'fill the gap'. And this performs that role perfectly. Fitting was straightforward into the old Renault Clio, with the wires plugging into the supplied adaptor, and then the aerial cable requiring an ISO to DIN adaptor.
I also liked the idea of the mp3 player, and the mp3 player works well and sounds good to my ears, even though it lacks anything other than a basic means of moving from one track to the next.
FM radio reception however is somewhat pants. And you need to be in a very strong signal area to avoid noise breaking through.
But at little over £20 quid I wasn't expecting the acoustics of Sydney Opera House, so overall we're reasonably satisfied.
Do note that should you want to remove this stereo at a later date the U-shaped Car Radio release keys that amazon suggests you buy with this item won't do the job. You'll need the long thin flat sort to do that..... sorry, I don't know the technical term for them.
And yes, the basic remote control works, although I can't really see the point of it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2014 3:51 AM BST

Castrol Power 1 Engine Oil 10W-30 4T 1L
Castrol Power 1 Engine Oil 10W-30 4T 1L

5.0 out of 5 stars Castrol 4 stroke engine oil, 26 July 2013
Excellent value for money, bearing in mind that this is a quality oil from a well known brand.

Designed for use in four stroke engines, I use it in my Honda 35cc brush cutter. One litre of oil would provide me with up to 500 hours of grass cutting, but I always err on the side of caution and change oil more frequently - oil is a lot cheaper than a new engine.

*Update* 2 years later and the engine is still going strong. Time to buy another bottle of oil....

Highlander Eriska Walking Pole - Light Blue/Silver
Highlander Eriska Walking Pole - Light Blue/Silver
Offered by military and outdoor

4.0 out of 5 stars Eriska walking pole, 14 May 2013
There are many of these three section walking/hiking poles around, and I opted for the Eriska pole as it was the cheapest (at time of ordering).

Like all such low cost poles, this won't take a battering, so take it into the rocky wilds at your own peril. For example, wedge the base of the pole into a crack between two large boulders, fall over and suddenly apply all your weight to the handle at 90 degrees, and it will more than likely bend or even snap. So if you're big and hefty and do mountaineering as opposed to gentle trekking you'd probably be better looking for something more substantial and more expensive.

However, in more casual outdoor scenarios such as a leisurely stroll along a track it is perfect. It is easy to use, has a comfortable handle, is very light weight, and offers good value for money.

Thule Bike Frame Adapter 981 Non-Standard Frames
Thule Bike Frame Adapter 981 Non-Standard Frames

5.0 out of 5 stars Thule 981 bike frame adaptor, 12 May 2013
Having purchased (and returned to Amazon) an Avenir Ladies Cross Bar Converter which was absolutely diabolical in terms of build quality, I hoped that this Thule adaptor would provide a more secure means of fixing my wifes Raleigh Flyte Activ bike to our Mont Blanc CM06 high mount carrier.

This does the job very well. Unlike the flimsy Avenir Ladies Cross Bar convertor which had all the rigidity of a lettuce leaf in a force ten gale, this is very solidly built and it's well worth paying a few quid extra for something like the Thule 981 which leaves you feeling confident about fixing your bike to the back of your car - a situation which demands the highest level of security after all.

The other reviewer says she needed a strong thumb for the release mechanism. I can see where she's coming from, although I can't say I found it a problem myself. And if the thumb release spring were any less secure it may not inspire as much confidence.

All in all a very good product, and no complaints.

Prescription Swimming Goggles for Correcting Short-sightedness
Prescription Swimming Goggles for Correcting Short-sightedness
Offered by goggleyed

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth five stars, 12 May 2013
I take the kids swimming about twice a week, and being -2/-3 diopter short sighted have on occasion resorted to wearing my glasses in the pool. As I'm a kid at heart I found I spent a lot of time with my head under water. Probably as a result of the exposure to the water, the lenses in my glasses were starting to suffering from delamination, and my eyes were sore with the chlorine in the water.

So then I took to wearing the communal goggles in the bucket by the pool. Almost all of these either leaked water, misted up after seconds, were badly scratched, or were uncomfortable to wear. The next step was to get a pair of my own.

So I looked on amazon and was astounded to find these prescription goggles for under twenty quid ! At that price there was little to lose. I went ahead and placed my order.....

A few days later they arrived. The next day I wore them in the pool, and I'm not just pleased with them, I'm absolutely delighted ! I find them comfortable to wear for at least an hour in the water. During that time they didn't mist up in the slightest. They're optically sound. And they did not let one drop of water in. Success on all counts. Oh, and they come in a nice pouch with a set of earplugs (which I haven't used) and have a spare pair of interchangeable bridges to fit different sizes of nose.

I'm not one to give a five star review unless it's an excellent product. Well, these swimming goggles are an excellent product and I'm now going to order another pair for my daughter whose eyesight is twice as bad as mine !

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 Keyboard and Mouse Set - UK Layout
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 Keyboard and Mouse Set - UK Layout

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great - poor wireless range, 12 May 2013
Following the partial demise of my Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse combo due to a spillage of tea over the former, I decided to purchase this as it bears the esteemed (in some quarters) Microsoft logo.

This is a good but not great product. The keyboard is of adequate quality, although I found the flattish and consequently indistinct keys to be not as easy to type on as those on my old Logitech cordless keyboard, the keys on which were more distinct like an old fashioned typewriter and thus were less likely to suffer a mishit than those on this Microsoft keyboard. Fortunately I don't do masses of typing, so I'll just learn to live with it. But high volume touch typists may be advised to look elsewhere.

The major problem I found with this unit was mouse responsiveness. As I use my mouse for a lot of graphical tasks such as Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, fine mouse movement is vital. This mouse however had a serious tendency to stutter.

Reading other reviews suggested that the signal from the mouse to the small receiver which plugs into a USB port could be the cause of the problem. So I moved the USB receiver from a port on the back of my PC, which sits under my desk, to a port at the top, but obviously still under the desk. Even though the distance from mouse to USB receiver had been reduced from just over 1 metre to just under one metre with a one inch thick wooden desk between the two, mouse movement had improved noticeable, however it was still jerky on occasion.

Happily the problem has now been completely resolved by purchasing a Belkin 1.8 metre USB extension lead. This low cost accessory plugs into a USB port on the back of my PC, feeds up to the top of my desk under the monitor, and the small Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard USB receiver then plugs into the extension leads USB socket, so it now is located less than half a metre and in direct line of sight of the keyboard and mouse resulting in no stuttering mouse problems.

Here's a link to the Belkin 1.8m USB extension cable which I'd suggest you buy if using this Keyboard and Mouse with a PC tower under your desk.....

Belkin Pro Series Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Extension Cable 1.8m

100 Sheets A3+ 330x480mm 260g/m² Photo paper: very glossy and waterproof photo paper, compatible with all current Ink Jet and Photo Printers from EtikettenWorld BV

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 Sheets A3+ Photo Paper, 24 Feb. 2013
I'd agree with the previous reviewer and the follow-up comments. This paper is indeed a bit like glossy coated cardboard. But once framed (or bluetacked to the wall) the prints look great, and bearing in mind the fantastic price I have absolutely no complaints ! Incidentally, I print out on a Canon iX6550.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3