Profile for David Seddon > Reviews

Content by David Seddon

David Seddon "ethelredunready" (YJ)

Page: 1 | 2
Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor choice for a tablet, 2 Sept. 2014
Bought this at Dixons travel at airport. Always thought highly of Amazon products but sadly not this. No camera for a start. No access to google play and as a consequence limited to amazons very limited selection of apps. It's like Amazon trying to be Apple but stripped down. One app I had not realised was not available was Sky Go, wanted to use this as an alternative to my laptop. Shall be buying a Samsung tablet

Shrine of New Generation Slaves
Shrine of New Generation Slaves

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 3 Aug. 2014
Doesn't rock as much as the previous album anno domini but having persisted with it I've come to regard this as one of my favourite Riverside albums. Best track for me is "Escalator Shrine"; I seem to favour longer tracks. A must see band live, seen them 3 times now and they are boss

The Mountain
The Mountain

5.0 out of 5 stars This band rock man, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Mountain (MP3 Download)
Haken are fast becoming one of my favourite bands. Two songs on this album stand out as class "Atlas Stone" and "Falling back to Earth". Wonderful.

Visions
Visions

5.0 out of 5 stars Great band, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Visions (MP3 Download)
I'm a big fan of Haken, this is the second album of theirs I've bought and well impressed. Good mix of prog rock and metal riffs and the singing style is just to my taste.

Sennheiser CX 685 Sports In-Ear canal Headphones
Sennheiser CX 685 Sports In-Ear canal Headphones

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not great, 3 Aug. 2014
I've bought sound isolation headphones in the past and these are okay but not as good as previous Shure ones I've had. I think of "sound isolating" as being able to listen to music in the gym without ramping up the volume. With these phones I have to turn up the volume a wee bit more than I would like. So not that impressed from that point of view.

Deville Complete Cothesline Winder Set - 30m - BLACK
Deville Complete Cothesline Winder Set - 30m - BLACK
Offered by McParlands

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased with this winder, 3 Aug. 2014
Great winder really does the job. Only small issue was the fixed pulley wheel, had to buy a hooked pulley to make it work smoothly.

BlueRigger High Speed Micro HDMI to HDMI cable with Ethernet
BlueRigger High Speed Micro HDMI to HDMI cable with Ethernet
Offered by BlueRigger LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable, 5 Jun. 2013
Connnects my Nikon Coolpix digital camera to my TV. Great pictures and shows them up in glorious HD on screen.

Road Salt One (Ltd Edition Digipak)
Road Salt One (Ltd Edition Digipak)
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album but some reservations., 2 Jun. 2010
At first listen I wasn't too sure about this but it is growing on me. There is a strange mix of sounds we start with "No Way" which sounds like something by the Beatles. Then we have some blues with "she likes to hide" a really nice ditty. "Sisters" sounds like bar room blues of the ilk of Tom Waits and is really cool but then again I think Tom Waits is really cool. "Of Dust" is a haunting song not disimilar to the Oh Lord track from BE. "Tell me you don't know" is old fashioned road house blues. "Sleeping under the stars" is a fairground song (and sounds like one too) which I'm not sure I get just yet. "Darkness of mine" has elements of pychedelia and rock, an excellent track for the more prog minded of us. Linoleum is more akin to what you would normally expect from POS,I didn't get the Linoleum EP so if I'd bought the album on the strength of it, I think I'd be disappointed with the lack of "Metal" content overall. "Curiosity" is a fast paced pop/rock track again I reserve my judgement, it might grow on me. "Where it hurts" is a great rock ballad, which Daniel writes so well. "Road Salt" is a soft ballad, again well written. "Innocence" is once again more proggy with the changes of pace you expect from POS, a classy track.
I woudn't say this is a move on for the band and fail to see how it hangs together better than other offerings as others have stated. There is a lot of musical styles within it and I'm a bit apprehensive that elements of "pop" have reared their ugly head.
I have to disagree once again with other reviewers in that I think Scarsick is a better, if not the best album POS have done particulary cribcaged with it's four letter tirade against the rich and famous.
Overall though I'm happy with a lot of the content and would expect with further listening to enjoy it even more. But I can see that some fans will be disappointed with the lack of the metal edge.

GEAR4 PocketPower - Portable Battery Backup and Charger for iPod Nano and Video
GEAR4 PocketPower - Portable Battery Backup and Charger for iPod Nano and Video
Offered by TriStar Electronics Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not charge the ipod touch, 19 May 2010
Thought I was ordering a universal charger that would charge my ipod touch.
However on loading the device my ipod immediately advised that the device was not supported.
Cannot therefore comment on the performance but disappointed that the advertising did not make this clear.

Whirlwind (2CD & DVD)
Whirlwind (2CD & DVD)
Offered by all my music

4.0 out of 5 stars Prog has died? since when?, 21 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Whirlwind (2CD & DVD) (Audio CD)
I paraphrase one reviewers words
"modern musicians trying too hard to recreate a vibe that died essentially 30 years ago."
What utter rot.
This album proves that prog is alive and kicking. But not just with this band.
Check out the many inventive and creative prog bands that are often far better that those from the 70's Beardfish / The Flower Kings / Spock's Beard / Pain of Salvation / Riverside / Indukti / Believe to name a few
Great album by the way although it's difficult to ignore the nauseating "Godliness" of Morse's lyrics. Hence only 4 star
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2015 8:55 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2