Profile for bsms585 > Reviews

Content by bsms585

bsms585

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14
THE GREAT GATSBY (illustrated, complete and unabridged)
THE GREAT GATSBY (illustrated, complete and unabridged)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great classic, 22 April 2013
Double classic time- the illustrations and the book itself. What apposite timing too, with the new film coming out soon. What's best though, read the book then see the film or vice versa.

A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN (illustrated, complete, and unabridged)
A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN (illustrated, complete, and unabridged)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to see again, 22 April 2013
Read this as a young boy pretending to be a young man- how nice to see it again after all these years.

THE PLUMED SERPENT (illustrated and unexpurgated)
THE PLUMED SERPENT (illustrated and unexpurgated)

5.0 out of 5 stars A man for all seasons, 20 April 2013
Am delighted to get my hands on this substantial Lawrence tome. When I was a lad, I had trouble differentiating between D.H. Lawrence and T.E. Lawrence, and once blurted out in English class that the author of 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' had died in a motorbike accident in the West Country. My don put me straight and I have not looked back. Nonetheless, I am always keen to build up my 'D.H' credentials- I recently came across an earlier work on Kindle. So here it is, Lawrence in Mexico. He certainly did see the world. And maybe he did like motorbikes too.

DUBLINERS (illustrated)
DUBLINERS (illustrated)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly prized, 20 April 2013
I am glad that these are now available on kindle. I remember friends reading this book as their set text at school. It was always a book on my 'to do' list. Short stories are not my natural medium, though I have often enjoyed novellas. I wonder where the cut-off point is. Perhaps these will set the record straight.

VERA (illustrated)
VERA (illustrated)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 13 April 2013
I fell very fortunate to have come across this author's work and looking forward to tackling all her oeuvre, Kindle-depending!

THE ENCHANTED APRIL (illustrated)
THE ENCHANTED APRIL (illustrated)
Price: 1.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 9 April 2013
Another chance find, delightfully illustrated and edited. What a joy to discover such a wonderful author that I never knew about. Stranger than fiction!

A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN (illustrated, complete and unabridged)
A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN (illustrated, complete and unabridged)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent self-portrait, 8 April 2013
Very happy to come across this book, twenty years to the month I first discovered it as a schoolboy. It was around the time I became more culturally aware, and I made a concerted effort to seek out fellow man's artistic outpourings. Unsurprisingly, Mr. Joyce was picked up early on my radar but my odyssey did not venture beyond Ulysses. I think I will enjoy more layers of meaning this time round, and the journey of self-discovery and destiny will have a far more personal resonance. More than anything, I think I will appreciate the prose style a lot more, having being exposed to all manner of vernacular and different types of expression over the years. I look forward to seeing the other Joyce texts coming out, and perhaps I will even give Finnegan's Wake a go.

WUTHERING HEIGHTS (Illustrated, complete, and unabridged)
WUTHERING HEIGHTS (Illustrated, complete, and unabridged)

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic tale, 20 Mar 2013
A modern edition of a classic tale, which is familiar to us all. But one of those novels like Gulliver's Travels or Robinson Crusoe that you might never actually get round to reading as it's so much part of the national consciousness. Well here is this little national treasure. Pop it on your iPad and be transported to stirring emotions and tender love.

THE LAST TYCOON
THE LAST TYCOON

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the road, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: THE LAST TYCOON (Kindle Edition)
Just when I thought I had covered all the F. Scott Fitzgerald in town, this little beauty pops up and yaps at me. Down, boy, down! I love his style, I love his grace. His buddy said 'grace under pressure' but I think F. Scott was the exemplar of that philosophy.

Lady Chatterley's Lover (the unexpurgated edition)
Lady Chatterley's Lover (the unexpurgated edition)
Price: 1.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastisch!, 13 Mar 2013
The complete and unexpurgated, I love that phrase, there's something so revealing about it. So here it is in Kindle. The times they are a'changin'. Funny to think that this could cause so much upset. It's a cracking story and I thoroughly recommend it.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14