Profile for James > Reviews

Content by James

James (Highbridge, United Kingdom)

In-Depth Acting
In-Depth Acting
by Dee Cannon
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for any actor!!, 11 May 2014
This review is from: In-Depth Acting (Paperback)
Dee makes the Stanislavski method concise and easy to read, as well as interesting. There's lots of exercises to try out and see what works best for you. The techniques in this book have changed my acting for the better.

Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - With Special Offers
Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - With Special Offers

4.0 out of 5 stars An EXCELLENT tablet, just minor bug bears that are easy to live with., 13 Mar 2013
I am very glad these are now available in the UK. I got one using xmas money from a British eBay seller that had bought some from America. I went the extra mile to get the 8.9" version because of what I would use it for, it is definitely worth it if you are an avid video watcher as the bigger screen makes all the difference. I think it is a good size for a tablet it's not too big and heavy yet also not too small that you want to bring it closer.

As for the tablet itself, it gets 4 stars. The screen is brilliant, the sound is also very impressive, they don't understate that. There is a little distortion at full volume but taking it down 2 notches takes that away without it being much quieter, then if you put it on a flat surface like a table the volume will be louder and fuller again. Web browsing is perfectly fine apart from skipping vids streamed from the net, expect Silk to stop responding a few times if you keep trying.

Battery life is excellent, I have an external battery as I travel a lot but I haven't had to use it so far. Reading is a joy on the Kindle Fire and I would definitely say it is the best tablet for this, amazon developed the eReader after all. Watching movies is really top quality on this, so too is listening to music.

As for using it, it's dead simple. The offers are very easy to just ignore (buy the no offers one if you want). It doesn't take much explaining and does everything you need it to. Some people whine that they have to press the screen a few more times to get somewhere, big deal it only takes a few seconds and of course the effort is exhausting. There aren't many apps, amazon has the smallest app store so far. Everything you need is on there but I found the APK file to download Google apps on my laptop, transfer and then install using ES File Explorer. Takes a little research but really opens up what I think is the Kindle Fire's biggest downpoint. Some people also whine that there is no rear facing camera, I don't use tablets to take photos so I don't miss it. If you are adamant about a rear facing camera then choose something else.

Final notes really. The mini HDMI port is a very welcome bonus. Be careful the free Cloud storage is for Amazon content ONLY and there's no kind of SD slot to expand. 16GB should be enough for most people, heavier users should probably get the 32GB. I've found that mine can take a little while to wake up occasionally so don't be surprised if that happens, and the Appstore is very slow. If you already have a plug that the USB will fit into don't get the PowerFast charger as it charges fast enough already. PLEASE DON'T BUY ACCESSORIES OFF AMAZON. I got a perfect leather case, stylus and screen protector pack for 9 on eBay whereas the cheapest accessory here is nearly twice that. Sorry Amazon but you know it's true.

Overall Amazon have done a very good job, certainly offering more value for money than pretty much everyone else. This tablet is not for everyone but I would definitely recommend it.

For me 8.5/10
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2013 12:49 PM BST

Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC CD)
Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC CD)
Offered by Monsterbuy
Price: 7.50

4.0 out of 5 stars very good service, 13 Jan 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
arrived very quickly with a return adress and a vat invoice
product was as promised
few problems with it but that was to do with the products incompatability with my computer and something the seller couldnt predict
i would highly recommend the game as well

Ratatouille [DVD] [2007]
Ratatouille [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Patton Oswalt
Offered by rightpricediscs
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good service, 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: Ratatouille [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Arrived very quickly and the product was as promised
only problem was the seller only gave a return adress, more details would have been nice