Profile for devon > Reviews

D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK
D-Link DSL-320B ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem - UK
Price: 15.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, 29 Aug 2012
I bought this because I wanted to measure an ethernet modem download speed to compare with my existing router download speed. I wanted to prove to Talktalk that a recent reduction of 1Mb in speed was due to the line rather than to my router or PC.
The instructions are simple but when they say 'be sure your internet connection is active' what they really mean is 'make sure your telephone line is provided with a broadband service'.
The installation Wizard contains a list of broadband providers which includes Talktalk and Tiscali. I was with Tiscali before Talktalk took it over so was unsure which to choose. I chose Tiscali and the DNS numbers which resulted are in the same range as those for my existing router set-up but maybe choosing Talktalk would have worked as well.
I did not get an internet connection straight away. I got a standard message after installation along the lines of ' you may need to change your ip address' - but did not know what that meant. After trawling Google for a couple of hours looking for product reviews and installation comments I eventually found some advice that worked. I did Start - Run -cmd - enter - ipconfig/release- enter. This removed the ip address. I then replaced it with .......-ipconfig/renew - enter.
That gave me an internet connection ( although it took a couple of attempts) and the modem works fine (and at the same speed as the router).
My message would be 'If it doesn't work first time, don't throw it away or send it back but have a go at changing the ip address.'