Profile for perpetual browser > Reviews

You Had Me At Hello
by Mhairi McFarlane
Price: 3.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Life's too short -read something else!, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: You Had Me At Hello (Paperback)
I read this book quickly as it's undeniably an easy read, it however has a predictable ending and the protagonist is so blooming weak willed I just wanted to shake her.
It had so much potential to be better, and I found that most frustrating I think.
It's clearly been written with the big bucks movie in mind, I could picture some scenes were included purely for that reason, it wasn't awful, I laughed out loud twice but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I liked!

Crochet at Play: 30 Fun Hats, Scarves, Clothes and Toys for Kids to Enjoy
Crochet at Play: 30 Fun Hats, Scarves, Clothes and Toys for Kids to Enjoy
by Kat Goldin
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars funky, different, fun relevant designs, 30 Jun 2013
My friend showed me this book she had just bought and I had to get it!
It is so different, it has really funky designs, the sort of things you have always wanted to make but there was no pattern available.
It has beautiful children's clothes that are tasteful but with a funky edge, and unlike a lot of books they go into children's sizes too, not just baby!
My friend hooked up a few crowns as as soon as she got her copy, it's just that sort of book!

What swung it for me though was the star shaped rug pattern, it is designed using t-shirt yarn and a huge hook, I hadn't heard of the yarn she recommends (Hooplayarn) so I googled it and it is really reasonable and you can buy it in the UK. For that alone - Thankyou Kat!! I can't wait to make a rug as soon as I've finished my other ongoing projects - excited!!

Creative Makers: Simple Crochet
Creative Makers: Simple Crochet
by Sara Sinaguglia
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, Inspirational, different & classy designs, 30 Jun 2013
I originally had this book out on loan from the library, I renewed it four times and thought I better buy it and give some other lucky library user a chance to borrow it!
This book is a joy to read, looks beautiful on your shelf and has really useful patterns.
I have made the 'apple cosys' for my children's teachers and the pattern was well written and most importantly it worked!
I find a lot of other crochet books old-fashioned, but this book has gorgeous patterns which I can't wait to hook up, and modern takes on vintage crochet, such as intricate shelf edging and table placements.
Love it!

Alfie Gets in First
Alfie Gets in First
by Shirley Hughes
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book little ones can relate to, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Alfie Gets in First (Paperback)
My little boy is 22 months old and he always chooses this book to be read to him. We read it twice a day!
He loves the illustrations and the story really holds his attention throughout.

Shirley Hughes has such an amazing talent for knowing exactly how to captivate little ones, the illustrations are really charming and the stories timeless. Hopefully if my little one ever locks himself in the house he will know what to do like Alfie!

My New Baby
My New Baby
by Rachel Fuller
Edition: Board book
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for explaining to a little todler, 28 Mar 2010
This review is from: My New Baby (Board book)
We bought this book for our 20 month old and he loves it!
There are lovely pictures of the new baby fitting into family life, such as the baby being breastfed by mum whilst the toddler bounces on the bed with daddy in the morning.
Then it shows baby having milk while the toddler eats his food
There are very few words so that you can explain to the toddler why for example the baby only has milk when he can eat sandwiches and fruit!
I have found it very useful in introducing to my little boy how the new baby will arrive and fit into our life and that his life will still have the same aspects such as getting dressed and meal times but with the baby there too.
It is so important that my little boy loves to read the book as I have bought others that he doesn't find engaging so wont entertain reading!

I'm a Big Brother
I'm a Big Brother
by Joanna Cole

1.0 out of 5 stars Better for older toddlers, 28 Mar 2010
This review is from: I'm a Big Brother (Paperback)
I bought this book for my 21 month old to explain the concept of his impending sibling!

My little boy is not interested in it, I am not sure if it is because it has paper pages that he can't turn or if it is not engaging enough. He loves the book 'My New Baby' though and we often read that!!

My personal negatives about the book are that it is very dated looking and shows bottle feeding and not breastfeeding.

Perhaps this book would be more suited to older children, but then a book is not needed as much as you can explain the situation to them in a way they can understand anyway!!

Melissa & Doug Safari Chunky Puzzle
Melissa & Doug Safari Chunky Puzzle
Price: 7.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Quality, 14 Dec 2009
This is a really lovely quality toy with cute characters and I like the fact that the animal shaped holes are very distinct so it makes it easier for the child to arrange the corresponding animals accordingly. Really lovely toy.

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly (Classic Books with Holes)
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly (Classic Books with Holes)
by Pam Adams
Edition: Board book
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming book, 17 Nov 2009
Lovely colourful book. Each page has a 'spyhole' into the old lady's tummy to show the animal she has eaten which gets bigger on each page to encompass each additional animal. Thick, sturdy board pages and wonderful illustrations, I would definately recommend it

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars How did we live without it?!!, 11 Nov 2009
My mom bought this last week and it was delivered in just over a day.
It is smaller and much lighter than I thought it would be and my son (16 months) doesn't mind wearing it at all. After a day of wearing it his cheeks were less fire-engine red and it has definately helped his teething.
I am absolutely over the moon with it!
It also looks really cute and not too 'girly' which I thought it might.
It is really good quality, closes with a 'drilled out' piece of amber and each bead is double knotted. Wish I'd bought it months ago!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2011 9:35 PM GMT

Whose Birthday Is It?: A Lift-The-Flap Surprise Story (Disney's Mickey Mouse Club)
by Sheila Sweeny Higginson
Price: 2.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Great birthday present for Mickey loving kids!, 4 Nov 2009
I got this as part of a 1st birthday present for one of my toddler's friends that loves Mickey. They absolutely loved it and as it is birthday themed it makes it a bit more thoughtful! A real hit.

Page: 1 | 2