Profile for zoek5m > Reviews

Content by zoek5m

zoek5m

Page: 1 | 2
Sugar Detox Diet: An Easy 10 Step Plan to Beat Sugar Cravings, Cure Carb Addiction, Lose Weight & Increase Your Energy (Eat Your Way Lean and Healthy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and easy to read, 19 May 2016
Can be dipped into. A good reference and stepping stone for ideas and further subject research.
I would recommend it.

The Good Prison Guide
The Good Prison Guide
by Charles Bronson

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 10 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The Good Prison Guide (Paperback)
interesting getting a bit of an insight into the prisons themselves and the mind of Charles Bronson

Acrylic Artist's Guide to Exceptional Colour
Acrylic Artist's Guide to Exceptional Colour
by Lexi Sundell

5.0 out of 5 stars highly reccommend, 22 Jan. 2013
This is a brillaint book - highly imformative and interesting to read. (I have been reading it cover to cover in a quest to get to grips with acrylics)
Ideal for someone who like me struggles with understanding how to choose, mix and use colours and more specifically acrylic paints.

This book is split into 3 parts, the first part of the book is all about understanding Pigment Properties; the handling of the paints, mediums, understanding technical things about the paints and pigments etc. The author talks about the importance of using single pigment paints which mix better than paints made of multiple pigments and she gives examples of the colours she recommends that relate to a colour wheel. This is referred to throughout the book. Although the author recommends artist quality paints, in the initial stages of colour explorations I decided to continue largely using my system 3 Acrylics and this has worked for me. I plan to use artist quality paints when I have mastered the basics though.

Section 2 is all about mixing colours and different ways that colours can work for different subjects or moods. The author shows you how colours are selected from the colour wheel and how they work alongside each other. Examples being complementary colours such as those opposite each other on the colour wheel, or the use of high and low key colours.

In section 3 everything starts to come together and examples are given about how to use the knowledge gained and select appropriate colour schemes. It's all quite fascinating and has changed the way I look at things. I'm looking forward to analysing how other artists have used colour.

This book has been a real eye opener for me and is an invaluable part of my collection of art books. I highly recommend it.

Keys to Drawing
Keys to Drawing
by Bert Dodson

5.0 out of 5 stars A briliant book, 16 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Keys to Drawing (Paperback)
This book is brilliant. I've read a lot of books on drawing but this one really inspires me. It explains why drawing is such a key instrument for artists in that it develops your visual eye and makes you see everying - shapes, textures - in a new light. It covers every aspect of the skill in a user friedly manner.
There is a good variety of pictures of drawings and drawing styles in the book and the text is interesting to read. Its not your average book on drawing and the author really knows his subject.

Brave Intuitive Painting - Let Go, Be Bold, Unfold: Techniques for Uncovering Your Own Unique Painting Style
by Flora S. Bowley

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it... but, 15 Nov. 2012
I like this book and it does have some beautiful paintings in it and harmonic colours, however I had hoped and expected it to have a little more content (writing). A lot of the pages are taken up with images, and I feel that the book is all about painting like the artist - in an abstract floral manner.

344 Questions: The Creative Person's Do-It-Yourself Guide to Insight, Survival, and Artistic Fulfillment (Voices That Matter)
by Stefan G. Bucher
Edition: Flexibound

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, 14 Nov. 2012
Love this book! The first day I recieved it I was up late filling it in and doodling around the borders like the author recommends. Its a cute little tough book and handy to carry around. All you need is a pen and some brain power. The questions in it really get you thinking. I had to miss out some of the later pages as they were concerning question's that weren't relevant to my situation (I'm just starting out on the route to a career in art) and were more about the business side of being a creative (eg the people you work with and your work insurance). I loved sections on goals, ambitions, happiness and all the rest of the book though. There is a lot packed into a small space and It was certainly worth the money. I like the idea of buying another one to fill in again in a years time to see how things have changed.
The rainbow coloured pages are lovely also. I think a lot can be gained from this book in terms of creative development and also other life goals.

Fiva: An Adventure That Went Wrong
Fiva: An Adventure That Went Wrong
by Gordon Stainforth

5.0 out of 5 stars Very exciting, 25 Sept. 2012
Exciting book, well written. The pacing and detail makes you feel like you are right there with them and thats one of the great things about this book and makes it quite a refreshing read.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, 6 Jan. 2012
Lovely harness I found it far more comfortable than other brands I've tried in shops. The leg straps seem to distribute weight and don't dig in as much as other 'padded' leg straps.
I would definitely get one again.
The only slight drawback (compared with most other harnesses) is that; the way the rope passes behind the waist belt means that it is directly against whatever clothing you are wearing and could possibly leave a mark depending on how dirty your rope is. Having said that though, I use mine indoors and outdoors and only once or twice ended up with a slight mark (on a pale t shirt).

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 6 Jan. 2012
Nice and easy to use and doesn't jam like some belay devices I've tried. Rope goes through it smoothly and the ridged area seems to have a good bite. Will definitely be getting the same again when mine needs replacing.

Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
by David Bayles

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring book, 22 Dec. 2011
I'm half way through this book but I'm really glad I bought it. I find it strangely inspiring in that everytime I pick it up and start reading I end up getting very inspired to do some painting and drawing, and all these ideas come to me - which in turn makes me put the book down and get out a sketchbook. (which is why I haven't finished it yet) I have long struggled with the fear of doing my artwork and making mistakes, and so this book has proven to be an invaluable source of motivation. Its also great to be able to undertsand why creativity often gets stiffled by fear.

Page: 1 | 2