Profile for mum-a-lums > Reviews

Content by mum-a-lums

mum-a-lums

Strawberry Summer (Rainbow Beauty)
Strawberry Summer (Rainbow Beauty)
by Kelly McKain
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, 2 July 2014
My 10 year old daughter has just discovered the Rainbow Beauty series and absolutely loves them. She enjoys reading but she's not what I would call an avid reader, so to see her devouring these books is wonderful - it's just a shame there are only three in the series!

Burlesque Baking - 25 tantalizing, show-stopping cakes and bakes to tease the tastebuds and widen the eyes!
by Charlotte White
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Cake decorators don't bother, 10 May 2014
As a cake decorator, this book and it's promise of 'Burlesque' cakes caught my eye, but it doesn't quite live up to its promise. I thought that overall the book was dissappointing, the cake designs were average and the few recipes are nothing that can't be found online. I am looking at this book as someone with a big interest in sugarcraft and I would have liked to see a few challenging designs, it's a shame, as I think it is a fabulous concept

Pretty Witty Cakes Book of Sugarcraft Characters: How to Model Fondant Fairies, Animals and Other Friends
by Suzi Witt
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of great character, 20 April 2014
This is a lovely, big book, choc full of modelled characters including farm animals, fairies, aliens etc - in fact anything you'd need for a lovely character cake.

What I particularly like about this book is the detailed step-by-step photography - so many modelling books leave you guessing, but not this one. It is a BIG book and the author has taken great cake to ensure that anyone, from beginner up can make one of her sweet characters.

Another very useful feature is the excellent colour chart included in the front of the book - it really is a useful reference tool, something you'll come back to time and again.

Cupcakes
Cupcakes
by Peggy Porschen
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute as a cupcake, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Cupcakes (Hardcover)
As you would expect from Peggy Porschen this book is delightful. It's a small book and contains a relatively small selection of cupcake/frosting recipes, all of which look delicious. I already own Boutique Baking and most of the recipes are repeats from there, albeit presented differently. I think there are about 4/5 new recipes, however, I'm glad I bought this as it's a handy size for the kitchen. If you don't own any of Peggy's books then it's certainly a good starting point as the recipes are very simple and you certainly don't need much in the way of equipment to achieve great results.

Fashion Long Ago (Usborne Sticker Dolly Dressing)
Fashion Long Ago (Usborne Sticker Dolly Dressing)
by Lucy Bowman
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Fashion fun, 15 Jan 2011
I bought this book for my daughter (she's 5), and she has thoroughly enjoyed it. The great thing about this book is that even though she has now completed all the pages, it's become a nice guide to fashion through the ages. It may prove useful if she's ever doing a project on, for example, the Victorian's or Ancient Roman times. She has now asked me to buy her another one...

Trick Of The Dark
Trick Of The Dark
by Val McDermid
Price: 15.40

1.0 out of 5 stars Less than thrilling, 12 Jan 2011
This review is from: Trick Of The Dark (Hardcover)
After reading the blurb I thought this book would be right up my street. I was wrong...weak plot, contrived dialogue, unbelievable characters and a very silly ending. Sadly I think Ms McDermid is falling into the trap that many thriller writers seem to fall into and that is to churn out as many books as possible, definitely quantity over quality.

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
by Tarek Malouf
Price: 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good despite the bad reviews!, 11 May 2009
I'd like to think I'm quite an experienced cook and I especially love baking so I was really excited to get my hands on this book. As many other reviewers testify, the photography is beautiful, but do the recipes actually work??

So far I have made the brownies, which were lovely, looked exactly like the picture but did contain a hideous amount of sugar compared to some other brownies I've made.

I have also made the vanilla cupcakes. It's a really unusual method, but, frosting aside, is a very cheap recipe because it only contains one egg and 40 g butter. Quite unlike any other cupcake recipe I've tried. Having said that, they were very light, airy and with the frosting looked exactly like the photo. The book stipulates that they use American size cupcake cases which I thought was a bit vague, as there isn't really any way of knowing what size that actually is! I had some Wilton cases at home so I used those as they are an American brand, however I only got 9 cakes out of the mixture that was supposed to make 12. Next time I'll try them with some bog standard cases and see how I get on.

One recipe I definitely won't be trying is the rocky road bars - it looks amazing, but any recipe that calls for 1.4 kg of chocolate, 8 snickers bars and several bags of maltesers is a bit crazy for a homebaker!

I'm going to persevere with this book, probably trying some of the less decadent recipes, the banana bread is next up and I also like the look of the blueberry cake...I may update this review at some point

Cooking for Friends: Food from My Table
Cooking for Friends: Food from My Table
by Gordon Ramsay

4.0 out of 5 stars What's in a name?, 28 Jan 2009
Gordon Ramsey's recipe books have never particularly appealed to me and I didn't own any until I was given this as a gift. As mentioned by other reviewers the emphasis seems to be mainly on Gordon, with loads of photos of him sitting on tables etc, but that's not entirely surprising as I think he's one of the most over-exposed personalities on TV these days. He didn't even deign to be photographed demonstrating a recipe for this book.

Having said all that, I think the recipes in this book are very good and the few I have tried have been lovely. I was quite shocked to learn that they were written by Gordon's number 2 Mark Sargeant, but maybe that's what being a celebrity is all about. Gordon's name sells, I doubt I would have been given this book if it hadn't had the famous man on the front.

Gorgeous Suppers (Gorgeous Series)
Gorgeous Suppers (Gorgeous Series)
by Annie Bell

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous photos whet the appetite, 27 Jan 2009
This is third in the series of 'Gorgeous' books from Annie Bell, I have all three and this is the one I would use most often (although Gorgeous Cakes is a close 2nd). I have tried two or three recipes from it so far and all have been good. The nice thing about this book is that it isn't what I'd call 'cheffy' but you get good results without having to do anything complicated (perfect for me!) and most of the recipes are practical for midweek family meals.

In fact, there are only a few suppers in here I wouldn't bother to try but you get that with every recipe book.