Profile for Greenwell > Reviews

Content by Greenwell

Greenwell

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Vivaldi Album, The (Limited Edition With Bonus DVD)
Vivaldi Album, The (Limited Edition With Bonus DVD)
Offered by Formats
Price: 27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A landmark recording yet again., 10 July 2013
Of course he's gone and done it again- shown us all (this time) why we should explore Vivaldi a lot more, and given us new delights in music. I really do feel like thanking this man.
This recording just flows very naturally from beginning to end, full of musicality, bursting with life expressed in great art.
The technique seems so effortless and impeccable, it shows off the wonderful music so well without any strain or seeming artifice like a blackbird singing its heart out on an early summer evening.
Buy it and have a lot of pure joy.

Dvorak/Brahms: Cello Concertos (Tortelier)
Dvorak/Brahms: Cello Concertos (Tortelier)
Offered by INNER PEACE MUSIC
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 10 July 2013
Love this. I'm thankful to be alive in a time when music as great as this, and played as well as this is available at these prices. I'd like to thank EMI for this experience, and wish them well in the future.
The interpretations and the technical quality just fit the bill for me, giving me all I expect after years of listening to this music. Really is sublime, and I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed by any of this.

Plain Blue - Long Hall & Stair Carpet Runner
Plain Blue - Long Hall & Stair Carpet Runner
Offered by Carpet Runners UK
Price: 22.91

1.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for our needs., 10 July 2013
This looks very nice, and at first we thought we'd made the right purchase, but even a couple of days use very much changed our minds. Wish we'd never seen it.
Firstly we live in an old cottage- the floor slopes about half an inch between kitchen and living room where we wanted to use the runner. The thing began to ruckle up and snake down hill within half an hour of use. Too soft a weave for our runner. We've tried everything to stop it, but walk over it a couple of times, and the ruckles come back without fail.

Secondly, we wanted to fit it on top of a new carpet- fairly big pile, and this has just made it worse.

Thirdly, we unfortunately have a dog- this runner just collects dog hair as if it's a hoarder. Vacuuming it takes me about 20 minutes, given the prehensile grip of the softest polypropylene I've ever seen.
A big headache.

Bach: Partitas Nos. 3 & 4
Bach: Partitas Nos. 3 & 4
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 10 July 2013
Pure bliss on a disk. Gould has a supreme grasp of the the big landscape here, and is able to display it as a sort of vision.
Can't recommend it enough, and can't stop playing it. I'm even faced with having to buy some sort of player for the car, just so I can keep on hearing this. Very unusual. Buy it and see.

McCulloch MAC426L 26cc 43cm Cut Curved Split Shaft Petrol Trimmer
McCulloch MAC426L 26cc 43cm Cut Curved Split Shaft Petrol Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good of its kind, 10 July 2013
Very good strimmer, but with the usual bugbears they all seem to have- just to a lesser degree.
Why do they all flood? Why is it so difficult to start them after the fuel runs out? Why is the choke so prone to move on its own, so they become flooded? Why don't they come with a mixer bottle which is easy to use, and has a funnel?
Why isn't the spark plug type, the mixture specification, and the cord diameter painted onto the body?
Do these people ever ask their customers what they want?
Apart from that, this is the best strimmer I've used.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 7:43 PM BST

The Legendary Arthur Rubinstein
The Legendary Arthur Rubinstein
Price: 17.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the recording quality, 10 July 2013
Wonderful interpretation,supreme phrasing; would be bliss if it were recorded at modern levels of quality. Can't help saying it, but some of the recordings are just too old to give the ultimate pleasure.
Can't they clone this great pianist, and record him again?

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to feel what these works should feel like, and is capable of emulating in a modern studio.

Vax C89-P6-B Power 6  Bagless Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Vax C89-P6-B Power 6 Bagless Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Price: 64.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Vax C98-P6 Power 6 Bagless vacuum cleaner, 22 Jun 2013
I've read most of the reviews for this product, and have been left wondering if only myself and 'British Film Fan' have really used it for long enough to judge it (or are our houses just more full of pet hairs and dust?)
Like him I have to wash the wool filter over the top of the cylinder after about 40 minutes use, and , yes, that filter will not dry out for a day or two.

Use the machine for longer, and the round wool filter shoots off its position, and then the filter with holes in it just clogs up completely. Carry on and the machine overheats.

Drives me crazy. The motor is fine and powerful; suction excellent: filtration just impossible. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
I have contacted the maker who sympathises, and has agreed to send me another round filter which would normally cost 20- so if that does arrive I suppose I'l just see this machine out by alternating filters- not what i ever intended, but otherwise it would be a complete waste of money.

Sinfonia Concertante for Violin & Viola K364
Sinfonia Concertante for Violin & Viola K364
Offered by AbundaTrade
Price: 0.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard Pretty Mozart, 5 Mar 2013
Fine playing technically, but not enough energy and depth of feeling for my taste. The violin and viola don't hang together hauntingly enough, or spark off from each other strongly enough to show the depth of feeling which a great performance of Mozart inspires.

Mozart - Sinfonia Concertante
Mozart - Sinfonia Concertante
Price: 9.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Quite Make it to Greatness, 5 Mar 2013
One of my favourite pieces of music. Probably this version doesn't quite meet the mark for me because in my youth I had a vinyl record of this music which I wore out many years ago. I have been unable to remember the performers, and have been looking for something with the same verve for a long time.
Modern recordings all seem to be in some conspiracy in which there is too much measurement and not enough spontaneous passion: the instruments are shown off very well, and on this version you have to say that the playing is impeccable, but something is missing which would make this great.

2 x Moreinks Black + Colour Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges to Replace Canon PG-512 / PG512 / CL-513 / CL513 (Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow)
Offered by More Inks
Price: 33.99

5.0 out of 5 stars At last- one which works, 18 Dec 2012
Had a lot of trouble and wasted time finding these- other attempts gave me useless kit which would not work.
These printed fine first time, and came with advice in case they didn't. Well done that firm.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3