Profile for Lord Syred > Reviews

I Can Mend Your Broken Heart
by Paul McKenna
Price: 5.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me...unfortunately., 18 Jun 2014
I was looking forward to receiving the book given my state of mind but I can't say I found it much help. The problem for me was that it asks you in turn to concentrate on the good parts of your defunct relationship (which upset me re-remembering all those wonderful, mutually besotted days) and then to contrast with the bad times or moments...and I couldn't think of any!! Our time together was idyllic and there were no cross words or hurt feelings so, remembering that, just added to my complete bewilderment and hurt about what happened. So I guess it just depends on how and why your relationship ended whether this will help you. The CD was relaxing enough but that's all it was. Believe me, no one is more disappointed than me that I couldn't find anything here.

Animaland [DVD]
Animaland [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bert Felstead

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful creations from Cookham-on-Thames, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Animaland [DVD] (DVD)
My recent visit to Cookham, parking just outside Moor Hall, reminded me of these wonderful cartoons. Not as anarchically funny as Warners or MGM efforts but quietly pastoral in a true British style. The fact that the characters speak with unexpected English accents adds a charm and wry amusement to the experience. They are certainly great for younger children and the history of this ill-fated attempt to create a British canon of theatrical shorts is fascinating. There was another series of ten films, Musical Paintbox, which explored the British regions and their folklore. I would love to see these restored too - I have seen a couple enterprisingly screened on BBC2 about twenty years ago. "Made in Cookham-upon-Thames" it said at the end! "What"? I exclaimed!

The Garden Of Jane Delawney
The Garden Of Jane Delawney
Offered by Sent2u
Price: 7.25

4.0 out of 5 stars If only I had known!, 6 Dec 2013
I knew of the existence of Trees way back in 1970 when I was 12 - my sister had a copy but it was a bad, off centre pressing with a terrible scratch (remember those?). Despite being a lover of folk-rock even then, I dismissed Trees 'cause they didn't have a fiddle player which seemed essential at the time. Fast forward 43 years and I at last bought the CD. I curse myself for the time I lost! Now, I'm not the most excitable of people but when "Lady Margaret" rocked to its coda I spontaneously punched the air and shouted "Yes!" and that hasn't happened in many a year. I suppose the psychedelic rock feel of this album is a bit passé these days - and there are a couple of duffers here - but it's still fantastic for all that and if you like 70s folk, rock, prog or a combination of all three then this is a must have. Danger - this album may contain proper music.

Live [VINYL]
Live [VINYL]
Price: 15.11

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad this exists!, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Live [VINYL] (Vinyl)
If you like the music of this scandalously lesser-known folk rock outfit you've got to have this. I'll level with you, the sound quality is pretty dire and given that it was apparently a B.B.C. recording I can't believe there isn't a better tape out there somewhere (lurking underneath some long lost Dr Who episodes no doubt). But this is the only document of the second line up featuring Chuck Fleming on fiddle.
The style remains a more heavy, psychedelic take on the Fairport Convention legacy...and I love it. The first line-up produced two great studio albums and this snippet shows how things could/should have gone had they received the recognition and backing they deserved. If anyone has any more forgotten Trees tapes out there please get them uploaded to something, somewhere!!

Cat Mate Large 4-Way Cat Flap
Cat Mate Large 4-Way Cat Flap
Price: 19.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the larger gentleman cat, 6 Dec 2013
After much self-doubt I finally psyched myself up to cut bits out of my back door. The job went very well and within twenty odd minutes I had a fully working cat flap and two curious cats wondering what it was all about. The design is decent quality, easy to fit and well insulated - with a choice of directions (in and out, in only, out only or locked shut) All work well and easy to select. Would recommend this to anyone with a cat who could be described as "robust"!

SanDisk Mobile 8GB MicroSD Card Class 2 (SDSDQB-008G-B35)
SanDisk Mobile 8GB MicroSD Card Class 2 (SDSDQB-008G-B35)
Offered by GizzmoHeaven
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Bye bye albums., 22 Oct 2013
I used to have half a cupboard full of photo albums, transparencies and old negatives. Following an asserted campaign of scanning they now all fit on this little gizmo - about the size of my thumb nail. The card has great capacity and seemed very fast to download onto. Only danger is dropping it - it might disappear under the floorboards.

Mens Pierre Cardin Cuban Heels Black Leather Lace Up Shoes Size 8
Mens Pierre Cardin Cuban Heels Black Leather Lace Up Shoes Size 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Oooh er! There's posh!, 22 Oct 2013
Lovely shoes and usually a lot more expensive than this price. Have wanted some Cuban heels for ages - I admit I'm a bit on the vertically challenged side and a slight lift helps me to avoid a cricked neck in a standy-up type party. Cheers!

Daily Mail: All New Cryptic Crosswords 1 (The Daily Mail Puzzle Books)
Daily Mail: All New Cryptic Crosswords 1 (The Daily Mail Puzzle Books)
by Daily Mail
Price: 4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars All done!, 22 Oct 2013
This was actually bought for someone cleverer than me. All I can say is that it was much enjoyed and is finished already - no doubt I will be despatched to find the next book. Is there no peace to be had in this cruel world?

Nad's For Men Hair Removal Cream - 200 ml
Nad's For Men Hair Removal Cream - 200 ml
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipe cook-in sauce, 22 Oct 2013
This is great stuff. I crossed my fingers and applied liberally to the courgette (zucchini for you lovely Americanians) and aubergines. No adverse effects for me despite having to wait twice the minimum recommended time for it to "cook" and then- smooth as you like. All felt very comfortable and I like the new look (hope she does too!!!)

Wish You Were Here [Discovery Edition]
Wish You Were Here [Discovery Edition]
Price: 6.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Among the best three Floyd efforts, 15 Sep 2013
One of my favourites from the period and, along with "Dark Side" and "Animals", definitely the Floyd's best period in my mind. I did not own a copy for many years and I am bound to say it wasn't quite as satisfying as I remembered it - too many long, atmospheric passages to suit today's tastes. But give it a go when you have time on your hands and you will love it.

Page: 1 | 2