Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Maverick" (Hereford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
MANNA UltraSlim Real Leather Stand Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100/N5110 - Brown/ Vintage look
Offered by Leicke Distributor Germany

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased so far, improvement over a previous purchase, 16 May 2014
In July 2013 I bought my Galxy Note 8 along with the IVSO® KeyBook Bluetooth Keyboard Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Tablet.

After about five months, I had to make small superglue repairs to the IVSO, and again in February 2014.

Last month I bought this MANNA model and am well pleased, for the following reasons:

(1) The colour is a proper suede brown and not the orange of the PVC leather IVSO case. I was concerned about the case being easily marked and scuffed, no problems so far, I even wiped off some grease, no residue. It will show thin fingernail scratches over time, but it does its job of protecting the Note 8. I'm comfortable with the worn/rugged look anyway, you can keep the shiny, chrome, polished look.

(2) The retaining clips on the corners are strong and allow more of the Note 8 to be seen and used. Other models have a sleeve which does not always line up the screen properly.

(3) Undoing the two bottom corner clips allows you to angle the Note 8 using either of the two recesses/grooves provided in the base/cover. Actually, I angle to an even more comfortable angle by placing the bottom edge of the Note 8 up against the centre clip on the outer edge of the base/cover. The clips expose all the buttons, pen slot, speakers etc

(4) There is an elastic strap near the hinge on the base/cover so that you can slip your fingers through it to hold the Note 8 steady if you do not have a flat surface to hand.

I disposed of the IVSO case except for the separate BT keyboard which is just about the same size as the MANNA cover.

Finally, it is so easy to carry around, mine is stored in a small outer compartment on my EDC work bag, or in the large pocket of my cargo combat slacks or shorts, easy-peasy.

True Utility TU245 KeyRing System
True Utility TU245 KeyRing System
Offered by Imago Global

2.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 1 May 2014
Product arrived on time, well packaged.

I wanted this item to manage better the keys on the end of my Victorianox belt clip/chain.

The holder for the keys is too far apart for the screw to engage properly. I only tested it with the sample keys, but could not screw in the cylinder securely and did not want to damage the head of the screw.

As I am about to leave on an extended trip, I did not have time to obtain a replacement.

As always, amazon returns service was excellent.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 8-inch Tablet (White) - (ARM Cortex A9 1.6GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB Storage, Wi-Fi, 2x Camera, Android 4.1.2)
Offered by HEARTBIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for work and play, 18 Aug 2013
Me: mid-60s, working in Africa, 'BC' (Before Computers, used real paper spread sheets till 1984).

Galaxy Note series: after trying out a Tanzanian colleague's Note (I) last year, I decided that it would be my next smartphone when my sim-free Galaxy S2 smartphone would be considered for replacement. Then in December my S2 was stolen from me in a sports bar when I was working in Zanzibar.
So my Note 2 was waiting for me when I returned to the UK for Christmas. It's an excellent smartphone and ideal for my ageing eyes, AND for scribbling notes.

The Galaxy Note series is ALL ABOUT THE S-PEN.

I was unsure about how long the Note 8 would take to become available, so I also got the Note 10.1 primarily for taking notes at meetings - no more paper notebooks. I use Papyrus on this for notes.

After reading reviews on the Note 8 I decided the size would be ideal for general use at work and suitable for using in confined spaces like cattle class during flights. The screen is just about, not quite, the same size as an A5 or medium Moleskine notebook.

The reviews so far have been quite notable for the number of iPad users which lend more credibility to the very high average rating.

To protect the device and for typing, I bought an IVO case with matching keyboard (see my review on that, four star). Even with the case, it can fit into large pockets in cargo/combat slacks and shorts. It takes up little space in any work bag or briefcase.

I can use the Note 2 cables and other accessories. Like my Note 10.1, I can use a 'virtual' whiteboard app, hook it up to a projector and use it in workshops AND save each 'screen' for distribution to participants.

I can add little to the previous reviews, suffice to say that the S-Pen makes all the difference and worth the extra premium. It is also a much more convenient device for using as a Kindle reader.

I will probably sell my Note 10.1 along with my iPad which I have hardly used since I got my Note 2.

If you are still unsure, take the plunge, I would be very surprised if you would be disappointed.

IVSO® KeyBook Bluetooth Keyboard Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Tablet (Brown)
Offered by Gambolex

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the best, UPDATE 9 MONTHS LATER, 16 Aug 2013
UPDATED REVIEW AFTER LESS THAN NINE MONTHS:

I see this case is now only available in black or white

I DID put in a small piece of cardboard in the inside centre flap (attaches to velcro patch) that holds the Note 8.0 in place. This weekend I have used superglue to hold it in place after eight months of use. This was done to improve the fit of the Note 8.0

The outer edge of the 'frame' that holds the Note 8.0 in place (opposite the flap mentioned above next to the flimsy penholder) started to split so that I could see the black strips underneath. This has been repaired with superglue.

What is STILL good is the size of the case, easy to carry around, fits in an outer compartment in my EDC work bag.

The keyboard works well although it is the US layout; so one has to use that keyboard's @ key for " and vice versa for the @ sign, it's not rocket science, the # sign gives you the £.

It seems I cannot change my original rating, now I would give it three stars.

END OF UPDATE

I bought the brown one for my new Galaxy Note 8.

Colour: more than a hint of orange in it.

Material: the inside seems to be suede leather, the outside and 'frame' are probably PVC 'leather'

Fit: the left hand side of the 'frame' almost covers the left edge of the screen itself. I wmay put a thin strip of leather inside the left centre of the frame to 'push' out the screen a little bit.

Keyboard: ok for someone with small fingers like me. The layout is US, not UK, however I've been able to puzzle out where the essential keys should be. Amazon should state this key layout in the description. No problems connecting via bluetooth, so far.

Keyboard 'tray': nice that it detaches easily from the magnetic points. Although I have a Techgear screen protector, i fear the keys just protrude enough to run the risk of 'etching' onto the Note 8 screen, so I turn the tray to the other side when I close the case.

It's a good enough case for the price, I am sure there are better and more expensive ones, but not many with the keyboard included.

TECHGEAR® **PACK OF 5** CLEAR LCD Screen Protector Guards with Cleaning Cloth For SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 8.0 / N5100 / N5110
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, quality and ease-of-application, 11 Aug 2013
In my mid 60s, I have a mild skin condition which makes me ham-fisted/ham-handed when handling screen protectors and small items. I even got Carphonewarehouse to apply a Zagg film to my Note 2 smartphone.

Now working abroad for a couple of years. I had to get TechGear Shield and apply it to my Galaxy Note 10.1 a few months ago. I found that quite easy and am still using the first original film. It has stood up well to the hadnwriting I use, although I do clean it with a damp cloth and then a dry microfibre cloth every couple of days (my fingers are quite 'greasy').

I received my Note 8 yesterday and managed to apply the screen protector for that with very little problem, and quickly.

Good design/technology and a low price, thoroughly recommended.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 inch Tablet - White (ARM Cortex A9 1.4GHz, 16GB, Wi-Fi, BT, Android 4.0)
Offered by Fonz Mania

5.0 out of 5 stars Initial Review, 2 May 2013
I already have the Galaxy Note 2 'phablet' which was a replacement for my stolen Galaxy S2.

However, I wanted a bigger tablet primarily to use for 'bigger' notes, diagrams etc at work, using it for play/leisure (ie like 95% of iPads) was secondary.

The Note 8 seemed the logical move, but I worked out the screen space on the 10.1 would be more useful at the office and meetings. While my Note 2 is also used for notes, it is very much as a space for short notes, contact details etc, because the Note 2 is indeed a replacement for a pocket notebook - no more Moleskine small and medium notebooks for me, just a thin paper notebook for when I need to give someone a piece of paper.

My Galaxy Note 10.1 arrived just in time for my wife to bring it out last night when she arrived to join me in Uganda where I am currently working. I also ordered a case/cover and a spare pen, plus a screen protector.

My first hour or so has made me realise I have chosen an excellent product. It comes with Polaris Office, but I might replace that with the Kingsoft version as on my Note 2.

For those of you who want extra memory/storage, you CAN go up to 64Gb, just make sure you get a microSDHC Class 10 card, my wife bought the Sandisk 64Gb microSDHC Class 10 with SD adaptor at Schipol yesterday, fits 10.1 and reports 59 Gb available.

The REAL difference versus other brands, and the reason why the Note range has been so popular, is the S-Pen, but you'd be surprised how many allegedly expert reviewers fail to point this out, usually because they cannot see further than the products of the Deciduous Fruit Company in Cupertino.

Now to sync my S Notes between the two Notes. Only then will I look at what movies look like on the 10.1.

Samsung Protective Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Black
Samsung Protective Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Black
Offered by Smith & Co

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect case for me, and others, 3 Feb 2013
I bought this after reading the reviews at the time.

The feature which clinched it is the one mentioned by one reviewer about the two holes in the top left inside for threading a cable attachment - I need to have the case attached to me after I had my Galaxy S2 stolen in December while working abroad, I now have my Note 2 on a neck strap.

I think I might prefer the same cover with a flip/hinged cover to prevent the screen being touched by movement in my shirt pocket/on the end of the neck strap. But that might make the case too thick, like the Otterbox and others.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Titanium Grey
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Titanium Grey
Offered by Gooddeal4you

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate Smartphone, anyone want to buy my iPad3?, 22 Dec 2012
My May 2011 Galaxy S2 was stolen in Zanzibar last month where I was working, my own fault, should have been more careful.

A Tanzanian colleague has had the Galaxy Note 1 since February and recommended it. I tried his device and decided the Note 2 would make a suitable replacement.

I have had my Note 2 for just over a week now and am well pleased with it. A common criticism of the Note 2 in reviews is its large size. Well, I have small hands/fingers and I have no problems in using the Note 2. I would not know if I look like a dork when I use it as a phone, I'm not looking at myself and could not care less.

The greater screen area and quality is ideal for a 65 year-old like me. It is so good I am going to sell my iPad3, I can do nearly everything I need and want to do on the Note 2, including handwritten notes - no more pocket books.

Speaking of pockets, the Note 2 fits in a normal size shirt pocket.

Android 4,1 Jelly Bean is great, smooth as it needs to be. Within minutes of entering my gmail details etc, the data and apps from my S2 came down from the Cloud, neat.

I have a slim cover to protect it, but will be getting another case which has an opening for a cord/cable which I can then attach to a lanyard/neck cord so that I never put my device down on its own away from home/lodge.

I was able to get a big DropBox allowance which comes with the purchase of the Note 2.

In addition I have installed the Sandisk Ultra 64GB Class 10 Micro SD Card with SD Adapter to maximise local storage capacity (I spend too much time on long flights) for notes, photos, video clips, music and maybe a movie or two. Some sites and users have warned about using this SD card, it is not 'officially' recommended by Samsung (I could not get any confirmation on a variety of sites). I installed it and it showed just over 59 Gb available immediately.

The Galaxy S4 and Note 3 will be along next year, I cannot see myself being tempted to upgrade from this current next year or even in 2014, anyway it's not a cheap device.

Now to decide which movie I would like to watch on this beauty of a modern device.

Lightload Towels-travel,camping outdoor-The only Towels that are Survival Tools (three pack 30x60cm)
Offered by Lightload Towels

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for travel and personal care, 1 Nov 2012
I bought this pack on the strength of other purchasers' reviews.

I travel a lot for work assignments to mainly developing regions, and I have to make sure I can keep my computer and related kit clean and free of dust and dirt as much as possible.

The pack as delivered is very compact, so one can carry another spare unused towel in a corner of one's workbag or suitcase. The cloth of an opened towel is thinner and lighter than an equivalent microfibre cloth/towel.

I have mislaid one of the towels after several months of using it to clean my portable computer's screen, mobile phone and other items. When I've forgotten my handkerchief or sweatband, the towel helped keep me free of the sweat for a bit. It washed ok and lasted longer than I expected.

The second one is already proving itself, just so convenient to tuck away until ready for use again. It has many uses, lighting a fire is something I have not tried, but I have used it to mop up blood and as a pad for wrapping round the thin handle of a heavy bag

I would buy this pack again, maybe also a larger size which one could use for many other uses, even as a tourniquet or for binding stuff together for temporary repair if no cord is available, or as a headband to soak up sweat during exercise.

iGadgitz Brown Genuine Leather Flip Case Cover Holder for Samsung i9100 Galaxy S2 Android Smartphone Mobile Phone

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 20 Sep 2012
I have been looking for a case that would not take up too much room with my Galaxy S2 in a shirt pocket.

The rugged cases, eg Otterbox brand models, are good, but do increase the bulk a bit.

I have had this iGadgitz Brown flip case for nearly a month, it is very good and ideal for my purposes. I like the protection the inside of the cover provides, even though I also have a Zagg screen protector; I bought my Galaxy S2 sim-free last year because I work abroad in different countries to minimise my mobile call costs by using local PAYG sim-cards.

It's early days, but this case looks to be good enough to last a long time, and I like the colour, not balck like many others, not bright like a few I've seen around.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3