Profile for Helensman > Reviews

The Mathematics of Poker
The Mathematics of Poker
by Bill Chen

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fab, 29 Jan. 2007
This book covers the maths of poker in an indepth way. I found it reasonably easy to follow and enjoyed the way the maths is related to the game. I am slowly adopting a change in strategy to make full use of what I have learnt and I feel certain that it will pay dividends. The maths is heavy going but managable (although I am a high school maths teacher). The chapters on exploititive play are particularly interesting and I would say likely to be profitable for those able to invest the hours studying that the book requires. If your maths is not that strong (better than GCSE) you are probably better of spending your money elsewhere. Alevel maths students could buy it as a text book as much of the content is in the S1 and S2 modules, all non mathematicians have been warned.

KILLER POKER ONLINE 2: Advanced Strategies for Crushing the Internet Game: v. 2
KILLER POKER ONLINE 2: Advanced Strategies for Crushing the Internet Game: v. 2
by Jon Vorhaus

4.0 out of 5 stars A couple of Fab ideas, 29 Jan. 2007
Although this isnt a great book, the author does have some really good ideas. The sections on reading opponents (throughout the book) are well written and extremely useful. The book covers cash,tournament and sit and go no limt online play. I have introduced the authors ideas on note taking to my game (with a few alterations and several hiccups) and can think of actual hands and games when I made enough money to cover the purchase price. Beginers beware, this is a book to improve the play of those that can play and in my experience it did exactly that. If you play me on line just write AO HC CD in my notes page, buy the book if you want to know what it means.

Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments: The Endgame
Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments: The Endgame
by Dan Harrington

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Poker, 5 Sept. 2006
The second of Harringtons books has less content in terms of new ideas but the ideas that are their are subtle requiring repeated reading. If you can invest the time you are rewarded with excellent strategies that I have proved work on the low limit tables i play on line.