Profile for Brian Lightowler > Reviews

Content by Brian Lightowler

Brian Lightowler "Smutsdad" (Yorkshire, England)

Humane Mouse Trap, Traps Mice Safely, No Handling Of Mouse Necessary.
Humane Mouse Trap, Traps Mice Safely, No Handling Of Mouse Necessary.
Offered by Megastore 247

1.0 out of 5 stars A picnic tunnel for rodents!, 22 Nov 2013
I hate being cynical, or sarcastic, but after the tenth attempt it became pretty clear that the mice were doing everything but leave thank you notes and written orders for their next 'a la carte' choice! Of course, you get what you pay for and this is cheap, better still with no postage, but totally useless if you want to catch mice!
The principle is: mouse goes to the end of the tunnel to reach the food, the tunnel rocks over as the mouse reaches the end and munches, allowing the front door to pivot shut. And all that happens, but, the plastic catches need then to click into place to lock the mouse in - they don't. I have tried all sorts of ways, different weights in different places and none of them work. The mice wander in, eat all the food, wander back to the front door and push it open. Simple!
Now I may have a defective trap but it is so basic I cannot see how that can be. I may have particularly light-weight pests, though by now they should be ranked obese with all the chocolate, cheese, malt loaf (one of their favourites!), and the rest they've got from me. And yet people give this five stars! One reviewer gives it top rating though it's never caught a mouse! It's certainly humane, and on that one criterion I'd give it five stars, if I didn't want to catch mice!
Sometimes I feel cheated by things I buy on the internet, and this is one of those times. Pity I didn't save the packaging knowing how good Amazon are with returns. Now I look for a proper mouse trap.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of quality, but don't feel the width!, 19 July 2013
I was initially delighted with the look of this album, the obvious quality of the materials, and the small frame on the front cover for a little photograph and/or title. I was photographing a friend's son's wedding and giving them this completed album as our wedding present. The blurb tells me that I had 60 sides to fill so I meticulously prepared and printed photographs, nearly 200, in a range of sizes up to A4, interleaved between printer paper to dry.
A day before the album was being collected, I spent some fourteen hours sticking them in - only to find that there were not 60 sides of interleaved pages, but 56! The two final sides did not have the protective sheets to stop the photos sticking to each other so were useless. And that made just 58, if they were any good! I checked and double checked my calculations - I was right, the album was wrong. I was livid and got to bed about 3am after much re-thinking and re-printing.
I suppose few people will use the album in the way that I have, and may not even notice the lack of pages. However, I hate being duped, I expect people to give me exactly what I pay for. In the end, all were delighted with the album and, I have to admit, it did look very, very good! A pity I couldn't give it 5 stars!

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens
Offered by Picsio

2.0 out of 5 stars Canon 17-85 IS USM Lovely lens . . . until . . ., 9 July 2013
This has been my favourite lens for some three years now, and has been the standard on my 20D, 500D and now my 650D since I upgraded from the kit 18-55. All has been fine: it's a sturdy piece, takes sharp pictures, has a very useful zoom range, fast and accurate auto-focusing; until receiving the new 650D, then it all seemed to go wrong. The zoom barrel became loose, and the zoom ring 'sticky'. Consulted Newton Ellis in Liverpool and they stripped the lens and it came back much, much better; £8.50 postage and just over £100 for the repair!
All seemed well and I photographed my friends wedding (large jpeg+raw) taking over 300 shots. I say all seemed well, but there was something nagging at me, something I couldn't quite put my finger on! On the computer, Photoshop quickly revealed all - the exposures were all over the place, not by much but by enough. I began to suspect the body, the 650D was quite new to me and I thought I'd made one hell of a mistake not sticking with the 500D. A few more sessions on holiday and the err 01 appeared, the viewfinder went dark, and that was that! Back to the trusty but very limited 18-55 and everything was fine.
Newton Ellis have the lens again and report the fault as - wait for it, no, not the connecting ribbon which most seem to suffer from, but it needs a new iris which Newton Ellis say is a common fault on this lens! How many common faults has this lens got, for goodness sake? The iris is £36 and they haven't said what the labour will be. I hope they have the decency to say they should have spotted the fault when they had it. OK, unlikely!
When I get it back, how long before the ribbon goes and I'm into another 40 quid? Anyone want to make me an offer for an excellent performer, but one you soon begin to mistrust?

QUEST LOW WATTAGE FAN HEATER
QUEST LOW WATTAGE FAN HEATER
Offered by bargain busting

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple, working piece of kit, 28 Jun 2012
This is a light-weight 1 or 2 KW heater which, on 1 KW can safely be used on site with an electric hook-up. It is simple to operate, no frills, and the thermostat works very efficiently. It heats the small spaces it's intended for, though I can't say I've used it in the depths of winter, yet! For once, an item that truly is worth the money.

Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3)
Dead Space 2 - Limited Edition (PS3)
Offered by 6 Hungry Weasels

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsessive, or what! Dead addictive!, 28 Feb 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
You have to understand, I'm nearly 65 and the state's shortly going to pay me for just being a nice, old chap! I was raised on the pub version of space invaders - ping! Ping! Ping! Zup, you're dead! I played Dead Space 1 at the easy level and was pretty taken with the graphics in that. I couldn't believe the number of senarios contained in the race to get the marker. The weapons are awesome, as are the beasts that attack. This is a truely wondersome world, grotesque but remarkably imaginative. Dead Space 2 takes this adventure to a new and fearsome level, and I haven't yet scratched the surface! I haven't joined with others on the 'net to beat the ghastly forces, and I'm only on Chapter 9, Normal level! A word of warning, my wife was appalled at the gruesome graghics - the blood, the guts, the realistic dismembering of both friend and foe. But, this is the world of High Definition and beyond the clandestine half-hour to get to the next level ("You're not on that thing again, are you?") I'm unlikely to be influenced too much - old ladies and their handbags are safe with this space warrior! I just wish me and Isaac could take our Line Guns and Pulse Rifles to the Tory party conference!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2013 1:06 AM BST

Cuisinart GRSM1U sandwich maker chrome
Cuisinart GRSM1U sandwich maker chrome

2.0 out of 5 stars Versitile and robust; or so I thought!, 22 Sep 2011
It may not be the best looking item in the kitchen, but it has all I need to make very good toasties.
Unlike my last one, this has variable heat control which I think I am unlikely to use, though more adventurous chefs may find uses for the lower settings. The retaining clip has been criticised for being too flimsy but the whole thing looks well made and quite robust, nevertheless I am being careful with it!
My gripe comes from the size of the individual plates. They are great to clean, simply clip them off and dump in the sink (dishwasher, for posh folk!) saving all that tiresome fixed plate fiddling! But, try to find a loaf big enough for the oversized plates and it's tough. The slices are usually fine top-to-bottom, the toaster seals those sides, but bread is not usually square, is it? The other sides fall short of the sealing blades so the contents have a tendancy to spill out. I'm still searching for that square loaf just right for the sandwich maker but, so far, I have resisted walking around the supermarket bakery with a tape measure in hand!
And a few months later . . . I have to say that much of the above still applies. I've not managed to break it, but I have become increasingly frustrated with the size of the plates. There simply are no loaves in Yorkshire to fit this oversized, and now very much redundant piece of kit! We got fed up of the fillings leaking out of the sides of the bread and having to be cleaned up before we could eat! We've used it maybe a dozen times now and, despite our very careful handling and meticulous following of instructions, the sandwiches now stick every time.
I suppose it's too late to ask Amazon for a refund!
Buy this product at your peril . . . !
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2012 12:50 PM BST

Toastie Heaven: 100 great reasons to dig out the sandwich toaster
Toastie Heaven: 100 great reasons to dig out the sandwich toaster
by Karen Saunders

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Useful, 21 Sep 2011
Not the most attractive of books, few pictures inside - pretty well all text. However, I suppose one toastie looks pretty much like another so they would be superfluous. The ideas are interesting, some you can live with, some you want to try, some which sound revolting! It does what it says on the cover, but it's hard to get excited about it.

TomTom Additional Mount Kit
TomTom Additional Mount Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional piece of kit, 18 July 2011
This mount is identical to the one supplied with the TomTom Go Live 1000. Having first ordered the wrong kit (the Go Live Active Dock Mount Kit doesn't fit, so check carefully!) the seller was most helpful and quickly replaced the item. The sucker pad is simple to use and very secure. The magnetic grab for the cable to mount and GPS to mount looks flimsy and insecure but in practice works well and allows very quick and simple GPS mounting and removal. The USB connection to computer is neat and functional, and it works very efficiently with the car lighter connector, though the two together protrude from the lighter socket rather more than the traditional charger. Why then only 4 stars? I'm used to a coiled cable which is very neat and compact when in use and for stowing - this plain, straight connecting cable hangs all over and is usually in the way of something. This is not a cheap piece of kit and the cable really is a case of 'spoiling the ship for a happoth o' tar'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2012 4:51 PM BST

The Beacon Safety Light
The Beacon Safety Light
Offered by Sub Zero Store

5.0 out of 5 stars All the name suggests, 5 July 2011
This review is from: The Beacon Safety Light (Sports)
This unit replaced a similar one which had served me three winters - two 1&1/2 mile walks every day! Waterproof, choice of flashes, or constant beam, and it's a good beam - try losing the dog with this in action. Probably a bit heavy on the batteries, but one set lasts at least a season. Best collar light I've seen, and I've tried a lot!

De'Longhi HTE332-3 Horizontal Fan Heater, 3kW
De'Longhi HTE332-3 Horizontal Fan Heater, 3kW

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to simple and efficient, 12 Jan 2010
Having bought an expensive ("Does it also make tea in the morning?") De'Longhi upright fan heater some time ago which, incidentally, switched itself on and off, had three heat settings (if you count cold!) and a very pretty little screen with twirly, twiddly little graphics, I vowed I would never buy De'Longhi ever again! On full heat it worked for a couple of minutes before turning itself off, completely! Nothing! Thought it was me! Wrong setting, or something. On half-power, room reaches heat, it starts pumping out cold air! Now this little beauty, simple, very quiet, no frills, does just what a heater should! It heats the room to your desired temperature, then switches off! Neat, eh? And pretty cheap, if you shop around. Only four stars? Yes, well I do miss the timer, being able to get into bed knowing that my heater will power down after I start snoring!