Profile for Claire Georghiades > Reviews

Content by Claire Georghiades

Claire Georghiades (Teddington)

Page: 1 | 2
The Go-to Expert: How to Grow Your Reputation, Differentiate Yourself from the Competition and Win New Business
by Heather Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to be known as an expert, read this book!, 5 April 2014
The Go-To Expert is an excellent business book. If you want to be known as an expert at doing what you love doing, then this book is for you. It works well for people who sell their time for a living, but it can work for anyone who wants to be known as an expert.

The Go-To Expert reads very easily but is never patronising. There are absolute gold nuggets of information in every chapter that you will come back to and implement, and using these signposts The Go-To Expert takes you on a journey to becoming known as an expert.

Reading The Go-To Expert is like looking at your business through a polarising lens filter – everything you need to do to get where you want to go suddenly becomes clearer. And just by implementing the practical and easy to follow steps you can give your business the ‘wow’ factor. And there is a bonus too – the free workbook for anyone who needs reminding why they want to make money doing what they do.

Heather and Jon are experts, so they write with the cast iron credibility of people who already walked the walk. Not only that, they know their target market inside out, which is why you will find if you are a lawyer or an accountant that this book has been written especially for you. Thank you Heather Townsend and Jon Baker, I had high expectations of The Go-To Expert and I wasn’t disappointed!

Youtility: Why Smart Marketing Is about Help Not Hype
Youtility: Why Smart Marketing Is about Help Not Hype

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Business Book For 2014!, 15 Feb 2014
Rarely does a book catch on to a trend at exactly the right moment and make it its own. Youtility by Jay Baer does exactly that. It seems that putting the words “Being Helpful” at the heart of your business in 2014 is the one strategy that will work to make your business better. But it is not an exact science. What goes around comes around, almost. If you try to be helpful with the goal of getting something back in return you are not giving genuine help. And it is almost definitely going to fail.

I have been thinking about this recently, as winning our recent Best Website Award in 2013 was only possible because we managed to prove to the independent judges that we have provided genuine help to business owners on our blog. Our help has solved problems and helped small business owners save money.

Jay Baer explains how to implement this strategy in your business in his book Youtility, and if you haven’t read it, I would highly recommend that you do. He suggests 6 steps to embedding a “Being Helpful” philosophy into your business.

1. Identify and Understand Your Customers’ Needs
2. Work Out The Best Way To Respond To Those Needs
3. Celebrate Your Helpfulness
4. Being Helpful Is A Mindset
5. Make Sure That Being Helpful Is A Continuous Process
6. Measure

So there have it, read this book, implement a 'Being Helpful' strategy and you will find really does help your business.

Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World
Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World

5.0 out of 5 stars This 'How-To' Guide Is A Must Read!, 15 Feb 2014
This 'how-to' guide is a must read for any business that wants to promote itself online. Gary Vaynerchuk gets it. And as this is the 3rd book in a hugely series, you can also be sure that he translates what he knows into a highly readable book.

In Gary's own words, "I hoped that if I wrote a short, useful book... that broke today's most popular and exciting platforms down to their essential building blocks of text, image, tone, and link capabilities, it would make the exploding social media scene seem a bit less daunting to any marketer or business owner trying to keep up with it." Gary has achieved exactly that.

There is a huge temptation on social media to continually work from the inside-out, tweaking what you do according to your analytics. The reason this book packs such a big punch [sorry for the pun] is that it looks at each platform from the outside-in, never losing sight of the fact that successful marketing leads to sales.

And it does this in a highly informative, entertaining way. Gary Vaynerhook gives you six simple rules of outstanding content:

1. It's native.
2. It doesn't interrupt.
3. It doesn't make demands - often.
4. It leverages pop culture.
5. It's micro.
6. It's consistent and self-aware.

He then channels his huge wealth of experience into critiquing actual posts on different platforms to show what works to create sales, and what doesn't work and why. So that you can go back to each platform, and do things better and sell more.

I read this book on the kindle version, but I have found it so useful that I have ordered the paperback for easier reference. To sum up: buy this book, read it, do the hard work and reap the rewards of increased sales.

Get Up to Speed with Online Marketing: How to Use Websites, Blogs, Social Networking and More to Promote Your Business
by Mr Jon Reed

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable book for small business!, 27 Nov 2013
When I reviewed the first edition "Get Up To Speed With Online Marketing" by Jon Reed, and wrote "An invaluable book for small business," I didn't realise what a huge impact it would have on our own business. And guess what, with this new edition, the book just got better. As the first edition, it manages to be a really good read AND is packed full of relevant and up to date information.

If you only read one book on online marketing, I implore you to make sure that it is this one. If you implement the strategies and tips you pick up, you will have a winning recipe for success. I know this for a fact because I have done just that and it has worked for us. And we are a firm of accountants, which is not an easy business to market online. We started our business from scratch in January 2012, and now have nearly 20K twitter followers, a successful blog, and a Richmond Business Award for Best Website in 2013. Not only that, well over 50% of our customers find us online, most of whom are local. And all of that achieved on a very small budget, largely with the help of this book. So I am certain that if the possibilities explained in this book can work for us, they can work for any business.

Before I read the book, I was an absolute beginner, using Facebook for fun and occasionally logging in to LinkedIn. And plenty of the terms relating to online marketing and social media in this book were completely new to me. At the time, I half believed that social media was a modern time waster.

Jon Reed turned this all on its head his simple philosophy. Set objectives, use online marketing tools and measure the results! It sounds simple, but there are so many examples of businesses that have not succeeded as much as they hoped at online marketing, it is clear it is not easy. Luckily Jon Reed gets you started, generously sharing his huge bank of knowledge and taking you on an exciting journey with easy to follow exercises. His enthusiasm is infectious, and he simply `gets it', understanding not only the whole maze of social media, but also what the reader needs to know to be able to use it and exactly the best way to explain it all.

Read this book, refer to it, sign up for the 5 day online marketing plan, but most important of all, implement what you read. I would thoroughly recommend "Get Up To Speed." A must read for anyone who wants to get up to speed with online marketing!

Entrepreneur Revolution: How to Develop Your Entrepreneurial Mindset and Start a Business That Works
by Daniel Priestley

5.0 out of 5 stars Jam packed with inspirational ideas!, 25 Oct 2013
This is the best book I have read about entrepreneurship. So, if you wish that you could make a living doing what you are passionate about, or you are already doing what you love, but you just can’t seem to earn as much money as you hoped then this is the book you need.

Some books are just a good read, and others tip your perspective of the world onto a new and different angle. The magic of this book is that it does both. Not only the ideas, but also the fantastic illustrations give you one after another “eureka” moment, as you read the book. Thoughts that you already had tumbling around in the back of your head come together and suddenly Daniel Priestley’s well-sculpted words make so much sense.

This book is jargon-free, it uses familiar and often British examples of success and it is easy to read but never patronising. It is so full of ideas, that having devoured it cover to cover, ridiculously, I couldn’t wait to start back at the beginning again to make sure I hadn’t missed anything. And I am already reading it for the second time. I loved it so much that I have already bought it as a gift for a friend who I know will love it too.

So if you haven’t read this book yet, I promise you that you will pick it up and wonder why not. I can’t recommend it highly enough – it is absolutely brilliant. Thank you Daniel Priestley!

Will it Make the Boat Go Faster?: Olympic-winning Strategies for Everyday Success
by Harriet Beveridge

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly inspiring, motivational book, 23 Sep 2013
I thought it was about time that I reviewed “Will It Make The Boat Go Faster?” I initially read it from cover to cover, referred to it endlessly, and I am now reading it again.

Have you ever had a crazy dream? Something that you want to achieve that seems tantalisingly out of reach? Nothing could be more extreme than spending four years aiming for a goal that could only be achieved on one day and in less than five and a half minutes.

But the Olympic 8+ rowing team did achieve their crazy dream. They were the first British 8+ rowing team to win an Olympic Gold Medal in Sydney in 2000. And this compelling book explains how they did it. It is a personable account of the highs and lows of their journey. But the magic of “Will It Make The Boat Go Faster?” is that it translates the far-fetched, other worldly aspirations of Olympians into take-away chapters for real life. After each gripping chapter describing Ben Hunt-Davis’s Olympic experience is a chapter summarising the lessons that can help you achieve your (perhaps) more humble dreams. In this way, the book covers topics such as goals, motivation, how to filter out unhelpful information, dealing with change and overcoming setbacks to name but a few.

I had no interest in rowing when I picked up this book, but I found the information about the rowing itself fascinating. I have recommended this book to rowing fans as well as people who are just looking for some inspiration to help them with business or with life.

As Lord Digby Jones, Former General of CBI and Minister of State for Trade and Investment is quoted as saying on the back cover,

“I challenge every Business woman & man in the country not to take something away from this big contribution to Business thinking.”

The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly?
by Seth Godin

5.0 out of 5 stars You will either love it or hate, but either way, it is food for thought., 14 Sep 2013
This book is like marmite. You'll either love it or hate it. I loved it because it made me think. It was food for thought and the ideas that Seth puts forward stayed with me long after I finished reading the book.

The essence of the book is "You Choose." You pick whether you do something well or not. You no longer need to wait for someone else to pick you. Don't queue in the long line of people waiting for the buffet table of life which has all the good things on. Or sit aggressively waiting for the phone to ring. The power is in your hands. You decide. Do you want to do what you want? Or will you just do what you are told to do?

Seth writes, "The rules keep changing and we might as well enjoy the process of changing them."

The ideas in this book resonated with me. In fact, I think that "The Icarus Deception" is even more relevant now than it was a year ago. And from my limited knowledge of marketing, I think it applies more than ever. It explains the world the next generation are growing up in.

In this brave new world, public relations no longer means a one-way communication with the public. It can be heavily affected by the public. And social media is the new voting system, so if you want your product or service to be found, you need to be social. Your role in this brave new world is bigger than you think. As a consumer but mainly as a producer. Embrace this new responsibility.

This means tearing up the old rule book. Seth Godin gives us instead some of his new rules:

"Learn to sell what you've made.
Say thank you in writing.
Speak in public.
Fail often.
See the world as it is.
Make predictions.
Teach others.
Write daily.
Connect others.
Lead a tribe."

Do you see what I mean now? He may not be right. Love him or hate him, but the ideas Seth Godin puts forward in "The Icarus Deception" will give you something to chew on.

I would recommend this book who is struggling to understand the rules of the world their children are growing up in, or anyone who is open minded to the fact the rules have changed and needs inspiration on what to do about it.

Three Simple Steps: A Map to Success in Business and Life
Three Simple Steps: A Map to Success in Business and Life

5.0 out of 5 stars An addictive read, this book can change your life!, 29 Aug 2013
This book is a really good read, in fact something so rare in a non-fiction book, it is truly 'unputdownable.' It is an open and honest account of someone who has succeeded in living the American dream, which is an inspiring read in itself. But 'Three Simple Steps' promises so much more. It proclaims itself to be `A Map To Success In Business And In Life' and was a winner of 2013 Small Business Book Awards. Having read it, I am certain it delivers on its promise and fully deserves this accolade.

A book that does what it says on the cover - it is split into three sections, each with just three chapters. Trevor Blake uses the analogy for people who are struggling to take control of their life as floundering in quicksand. With this in mind, the three sections are entitled `Escaping The Quicksand', `Staying Out Of The Quicksand' and `Beyond The Quicksand' and involve just three simple concepts. The three concepts are reclaiming your mentality, creating winning ideas and turning your ideas into reality. What could be simpler? Except if it is that simple, why is it we are not all running multi-million pound businesses?

Three Simple Steps is both humbling and inspiring. Partly to thank is the message itself, but also by the rawness, the feeling that someone was prepared to peel back the layers of their personality to reveal their inner self for the benefit of the reader, in order to make their message come across as real and believable.

As Trevor Blake envisaged, people who pick up this book are likely to want to take control of their life. Who doesn't want to take more control of their life? In my case, I was hoping for a recipe for success to turn an embryonic business into an adolescent, and beyond, into something fully fledged that can fly on its own. With this in mind, I have read a lot of business and self-help books. However, I truly believe that 'Three Simple Steps' is the missing link I was looking for, the real deal. Thank you Trevor, I am sure I am not alone in saying, I am so grateful to you throwing a lifeline out there, it made all the difference.

If you don't believe me, pick up this book for yourself.

You Can Get It If You Really Want: Start your business, transform your life
You Can Get It If You Really Want: Start your business, transform your life
by Levi Roots

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for business start-ups!, 12 April 2013
Starting up and growing a business is tough. It takes guts and determination. This book gives you the story behind the Reggae Reggae Group, and while it can't help you replicate this success, only you can do that, it does prove a point, that absolutely anyone can change their life if they are convinced about their idea and committed to it, and can surround themselves with people who can support them.

This book is aimed at people who would not normally read business books, in particular young people who have not got where they were hoping in the difficult employment market. This is where the book excels, you only need to Chapter 3 for one of the clearest, most straight forward guides to producing a Business Plan that I have ever read, and Levi Roots is generous enough to provide you the full and original Business Plan from his appearance on Dragons' Den, with a forward to explain exactly what its weaknesses are.

A highlight of this book is the grey Feature pages which break up the book, and explain Levi Roots has applied the guidance in the chapter to his own business. In the features about employing a corporate lawyer and an accountant, I know he has been accused of over-simplifying, but I meet many business people who take the risky decision to `wing it' on their own when their business start-up is cash-strapped, only to realise how much money they could have saved if they had taken proper advice from the beginning.

Use this book to help you hone your Business Plan, and like Levi Roots you can get it if you really want!

The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
by Chris Brogan

5.0 out of 5 stars A noisy book, but it gets the message across!, 9 Jan 2013
I was curious to read this book as like any small business owner, I need to connect to others in order to succeed.

However, like someone who has gate-crashed a trendy party, I am completely the wrong demographic compared to the target audience. (Julien describes the ideal reader for his blog in the book, being a 20-30 year old man, and the quirky references in the book made me feel sure the ideal reader for this book would be similar).

Because of this, I found the book quite noisy, as it jumps around covering many varied examples, from a managing a book launch date, to Richard Branson, to `The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho and gaming references which I found educational in ways that were never intended, for example I now feel like the only person on the planet who has not played the video game Pokemon!

That is my only criticism, the Impact Equation itself is easily understandable, and illustrated with entertaining up-to-date examples, such as The Dollar Shave Club being an example of 'contrast'. Concepts from the authors' previous book Trust Agents is also included and updated. Practical gold nuggets of the authors' wisdom such as the impact of the regularity of their blogs and tweets, what kind of things they would suggest you do tweet, and things that you can do wrong, and why sometimes it doesn't matter.

The main thing is that at the end of an entertaining book, I will be able to use The Impact Equation to evaluate my USP as well as my very next blog, tweet or advertisement to make them more effective. If I can grasp this, given the comments above, I'm absolutely certain this book will be a valuable tool for anyone wanting to do better at connecting with their customers and prospective customers. Thank you!

Page: 1 | 2