Profile for Sweet Tooth > Reviews

Granny-Square Crochet - 35 contemporary projects using traditional techniques
by Catherine Hirst
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Chuffed to bits!, 14 Aug 2013
I just got this book today and after a thorough look through I can honestly say I am thrilled to bits with it. There are a few projects I'm unlikely to make but only because I don't have small children or babies to crochet for. I can honestly say, there's not one single 'dud' pattern in this book. I'm a bit of a crochet addict, only been crocheting for about 9mths but I am totally hooked on the craft now and consider myself an intermediate, but even if I were a total beginner, all the patterns look easy peasy to me. I'm wishing now that I wasn't in the middle of two huge blanket projects because I want to get stuck in to some of the projects in this book right away. The photography has been done beautifully and the overall layout and presentation of each project is wonderful, I defy any crocheter, experienced or otherwise, to find fault with this book. A real bonus too is the fact that it uses UK crochet terms, so no converting stitch language. If you are used to using US terms, you will have to convert and should know there are no universal stitch diagram patterns to go with the written patterns. Actually, if there was a fault to be found, that would be it, no universal stitch diagrams. The last section, section 4 deals almost entirely with teaching total beginners how to crochet from starting off to fastening off. There are several ways to join squares but this book only deals with one, the 'join as you go' method which is good and well worth learning but I advise complete beginners to research other joining methods too to understand the different finishes that can be acheived when sewing a project together properly. All in all, a fantastic little book and I highly recommend it. Happy hooking! :)

Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook 200 Slow Cooker Recipes
Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook 200 Slow Cooker Recipes
by Sara Lewis
Price: 2.49

1.0 out of 5 stars A Waste of Money, 26 Sep 2012
I'm so disappointed with this book. Virtually all the recipes require you to cook all the ingredients in a frying pan first and then add to the slow cooker. Slow cooking is all about convenience these days and it's totally inconvenient to have to muck about so much with the food before you can add it to the slow cooker. I expect to peel/chop carrots, onions and potatoes, open the odd tin of tomatoes and chop the meat etc. but really, this book wants you to cook everything first as well, what the hell point is there in having a slow cooker if you have to do that? Steer well clear of this book if you are like me and want your slow cooker to do all the work for you rather than the other way round. If you want to do nothing more than just throw everything in the pot, switch it on and walk away from it for a few hours, then find another book because this one is hopelessly inadequate for the busy full time working man/woman.

Simply Sparkling Christmas Beading: Over 35 Beautiful Beaded Decorations and Gifts
by Dorothy Wood
Price: 9.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, love this book, 25 July 2012
I just bought this book and it's the best fiver I've spent in a long time. I'm a total beginner with beading and needed simple patterns and ideas to get me started. There isn't one single dud pattern here, every single one is a winner and what's more, they all look easy to do provided you buy the right gear and follow the instructions correctly. There's a couple that require complete concentration, not because they are difficult, but because they're just easy to make a mistake on if you're surrounded by distractions. I thoroughly recommend this book to beginners and experienced beaders alike, this book is worth every single penny. Another book I would recommend for BEGINNERS is the one titled The Encyclopedia of Beading Techniques by Sara Withers & Stephanie Burnham. There's no patterns, just a library full of illustrated techniques and a a good section explaining tools and materials.

Favourite Chicken Recipes (Favourite Recipes)
Favourite Chicken Recipes (Favourite Recipes)
by VARIOUS

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 19 April 2012
34 wholesome and healthy recipes that you can't really go wrong with. If you like chicken then this will be a good choice for you. Lots of ideas to try out, a few old favourites and at least one like Skirlie Stuffed Chicken which might make you cringe because it contains an unexpected ingredient, chicken giblets. I screwed my nose up at that one but then realised, who says I have to use the giblets, they're only for the gravy anyway. No dud recipes from what I can see... as always, worth the silly price asked for it

Favourite Cornish Recipes
Favourite Cornish Recipes
by June Kittow

5.0 out of 5 stars Yessss!, 19 April 2012
I only bought this book for the authentic Cornish pasty recipe but I'm glad I did. Running down the list of recipes I'm reminded of other traditional Cornish foods like ginger fairings, clotted cream and Penzance cake which are all in here. 36 recipes in total and they all look to be winners. There's a couple of recipes I can't see me making, one is the Cornish saffron cake and that's only because it calls for 2 teaspoons of saffron, a very expensive ingredient and the other is the buttered crab. Again, it calls for 2 large boiled crabs, another expensive ingredient. The former recipe sounds great though, so if I can find a suitable substitute for saffron I will definitely be making it. I've got 14 of these little books now and just like all the others, this is another little gem

Favourite Romany Recipes
Favourite Romany Recipes
by Keziah Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 19 April 2012
A serious and experienced forager would love this, so many of the recipes depend on wild growing foods... Nowt unexpected in that I hear you say, I agree, not given that these are Romany recipes but, Oh my, what the Romany travellers do with these wild foods is wonderful. I read every single recipe and came away from each one thinking, there's an ingredient missing. There isn't of course, it's just me being used to having a wide range of ingredients to hand all the time. Once I got my head around the fact that the Romany travellers didn't have the luxury of my larder to hand all the time, I really started to appreciate how they simply 'made do' and managed to produce tasty dishes to feed their families on next to nothing from the wild. I'm a very firm believer in foraging, I only wish I knew as much as the Romany people do. Readers might also enjoy the short background history of the author, Keziah Cooper who tells of, to you and me, the most disgusting things she was made to eat to keep her healthy. This book is an altogether fascinating read, whether of not you try any of the recipes, and well worth the few pennies it costs.

Favourite Vegetarian Recipes
Favourite Vegetarian Recipes
by Marilyn Membery

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Start for a Would Be Veggie, 19 April 2012
For a long time now I've wanted to go vegetarian but just have no imagination beyond a vegetarian lasagne. I'm hopeless, I haven't a clue and have even less idea about where to start. The desire is there, it's just that the knowledge is woefully lacking. This book, like the others I've bought from this set, is a very good start. With regular use of these recipes I'm hoping to become much more confident with vegetarian cooking. There's certainly plenty to choose from, 33 recipes in total. There's a couple of Aubergine ones I don't like but that's just me, you may like Aubergines. Lots of them are based on cheese of course but by no means all of them, many contain ingredients from the 'pulses' family but I love pulses so for me that's fine. All in all, a smashing little book and worth the money.

Favourite Retro Recipes
Favourite Retro Recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner, 19 April 2012
Another winner from this collection though I guess it will appeal more to a certain age group. I sooo remember my Mum making these recipes, there's only one or two she didn't make (mostly because my Dad called it mucked about with food and refused to eat it) and they brought back lots of memories. I myself am so busy making other more 'modern' recipes that I simply forget to make any of these, so glad I got this book. I'm going to cook up some memories and enjoy every one of them

Peter Popple's Popcorn Cookbook Gift Set!
Peter Popple's Popcorn Cookbook Gift Set!
by Peter Popples
Price: 5.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Purchase, 19 April 2012
Very pleased with the recipes in this book, I would never have thought of half of them myself. I bought this book at the same time as my popcorn machine as the machine only allowed for popcorn to be made without flavouring and I don't like unflavoured popcorn.

Worth the money I'd say, plenty of recipes, sweet and savoury so something for everyone. Glad I bought it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2012 8:37 PM BST

Designer Habitat - 1200 Watt Hot Air Popcorn Maker With FREE bag of Popping Corn 500g + 4 FREE Popcorn Boxes

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 April 2012
Perfect results every time and a darn site cheaper (It was over 5 cheaper at the time I bought mine) than the other model which looks identical but is produced by Andrew James. If you are reading this you've probably read all the reviews for that other model too so as this is the very first review for this model, I should say that my comments are not only about my own findings but are largely in response to all those people who left the other one bad reviews.

It's perfectly normal to have a few UN-popped corns, ask any American you like and they'll tell you so don't be put off by a few corns not popping. The little cup measure on the top of the machine holds about the right amount for the machine, just make sure it's very level and maybe slightly lower than the rim level. I'd say worse case senario there's about a teaspoon or less worth of dry corn that doesn't pop. No problem, you just save it for the next batch. Don't add anything at all to the machine to flavour the popcorn, the machine is not designed to take anything other than the corn itself, buy yourself the Peter Popple's popcorn recipe book to go with it like I did, all the recipes require adding flavour AFTER the popcorn has been cooked. The machine gets very hot but only an idiot who stands there holding it need worry, seriously, there's really no need so who in heavens name would want to do that except an idiot? Only one downside, the design means that no matter how big the bowl you put in front of it, the cooked popcorn will fly out everywhere so you might want to use a strategically placed clean tea towel over the 'spout' and bowl to channel the popcorn and prevent this.

For a long time now I've been making popcorn in a lidded frying pan and I'm always having disasters, it doesn't matter how careful and watchful I am, I still manage to burn it. With this machine there's none of that and the huge bonus is, NO OIL is required, great if you have healthy eating in mind. Just follow the instructions properly and you will get perfect popcorn every time. That little measuring cup by the way, will produce a huge bowl of popcorn so when choosing your bowl, think big cake mixing bowl rather than large pudding basin.

According to the instructions you can make 2 batches one after the other and then MUST leave the machine to cool down. I have only ever done one batch at a time so cannot report on how the machine would perform with a 2nd batch done immediately after the 1st.

PS. I forgot to say, it's only the blue lid that gets very hot, the white body part is fine.

PPS. Good lord, I've just seen the new price for this (49.99). Sorry but that's outrageous, no way is this item worth that unless of course you are rolling in money and don't need to count pennies. I paid just about 20 including postage if I remember rightly and it's worth that much money. My max. would probably be 25 including postage, the item isn't worth more than that, this seller is taking the mick charging 49.99, my advice, wait until he learns a lesson and drops it back down to a sensible price before you buy it
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2012 10:16 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3