Profile for David Marker > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Masterplug SRG42 4 Gang Surge Protected Extension Lead 2m 13 Amp Fused
Masterplug SRG42 4 Gang Surge Protected Extension Lead 2m 13 Amp Fused

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Sep 2014
Works exactly as it is supposed to, no more, no less.

Garmin nuvi 50 LM 5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps and Free Lifetime Map Updates

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it for one single reason, 11 Aug 2014
I love it for one single reason, the only reason I bought it. That is for location if I am without other means such as the sun, satellite dishes and signposts. As for actual route directions it rarely coincides with my own, and is never better, so I continue with my own pre-planned route finding.
However, an unexpected bonus is the constant indication of the current speed limit. How often I have forgotten the last sign I passed.

Manhattan Plaza HD-S2 Digital Satellite Receiver
Manhattan Plaza HD-S2 Digital Satellite Receiver

5.0 out of 5 stars I am more than pleased with the very good decoder, 11 Aug 2014
Despite wrong information given by their helpline when I had a problem setting up, I am more than pleased with the very good decoder.
The wrong info would not trouble most people because it referred to a particular setup I have regarding 2 linked dishes to receive different satellites. If I had been 'normal', with just a single dish pointing at Astra, it would have been in operation within minutes of leaving the box.

Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe
Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and fascinating, 11 Aug 2014
Excellent and fascinating, some of this I already knew, although not the detail, but much of it is a pure revelation to me.
I am only halfway through and wouldn't normally comment until a book is finished, but this is an exception.
If you are interested in history, and in particular European history, this is the book for you.

Toshiba Satellite C55-A-1R8 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Pentium N3520 2.17 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1) - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba good, MS as usual, eugh!, 14 July 2014
I am very pleased with the computer, once I had got rid of the awful Windows 8 start screen (replaced by Stardock's Start8 Windows 7 style opening) I soon got my head around it having had a similar model only recently.

My main problem is, as always, with Microsoft. How a company can make their own products obsolete requiring mind boggling and time wasting work to make previous files compatible beats me. If only everything I have was not tied to this awful company I would jump ship and get a more sympathetic operating system.

The Great Defender: The Life and Trials of Edward Marshall Hall KC, England's Greatest Barrister

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight, 14 July 2014
A fascinating insight into a fascinating character. Not perfect, he didn't win all his cases, but of those he did win some were initially thought to be hopeless cases.
My only criticism was that the timeline was not always clear, but I enjoyed it enormously nonetheless.

War by Timetable: How the First World War Began
War by Timetable: How the First World War Began

5.0 out of 5 stars Taylor at his usual best, a riveting read., 14 July 2014
I have been a great fan of AJP Taylor since he used to appear regularly on television 40 or more years ago, standing alone in an empty studio set, national health glasses perched on the end of his nose, hands clasped together in front of him and speaking totally without notes with fluid clarity for up to an hour.

This book is just as I expected. I could see him there like that talking to me just as he always did. The book was riveting from start to finish and I learned a lot about the prominent characters as they lurched by misunderstanding and stupidity to the awful conclusion.

I loved it.

Target Tirpitz: X-Craft, Agents and Dambusters - The Epic Quest to Destroy Hitler's Mightiest Warship

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written piece of history, 16 April 2014
This book is very well researched and written. It includes all the various attempts to cripple and finally sink Tirpitz but not only that. Everything connected with it, the breakout of Bismark and its sinking, details of all the other capital ships in the Kriegsmarine at the time, and detailed descriptions of the Arctic convoys and, in particular, the ill-fated PQ17. Thoroughly recommended.

Killing Pablo: The Hunt for the Richest, Most Powerful Criminal in History
Killing Pablo: The Hunt for the Richest, Most Powerful Criminal in History

5.0 out of 5 stars A well researched book, 7 April 2014
Well researched and well written. Mark Bowden didn't sensationalise his story and linked the various threads well. My only problem was following so many characters but could hardly be avoided if the complete story was to be told.

Modern Boy's Book of Racing Cars
Modern Boy's Book of Racing Cars

4.0 out of 5 stars 2nd hand appraisal, 17 Mar 2014
The only reason for dropping one star is because the seller wouldn't send it to France so my information is from my friends in England.
They say that the book arrived before the promised date and that it is in good order with reference to what it was described as.
I have no reason to doubt what they say but will not actually see it for myself for another month or so.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3