Profile for Fish > Reviews

Content by Fish

Fish

The Dream Calls For Blood (Bonus One DVD)
The Dream Calls For Blood (Bonus One DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes Please!, 17 Feb 2014
A lot of thrash bands have been coming back to the fold since the turn of the 21st century, and I for one am very happy that Death Angel is among them. Along with the likes of other Bay Area staples Exodus and Testament, a very convincing argument can be made that they are releasing albums that are as good, if not better than the albums we all remember from the late 80's and early 90's heyday. The Dream Calls For Blood hits your speakers with all the swagger, attitude and meaty metal goodness that all enduring thrash albums possess.
The Dream Calls For Blood is the most aggressive album Death Angel have made in a run of four great records that began with The Art Of Dying. Yet it also contains a great mixture of light and shade in the songs. I never find myself feeling that their bludgeon is getting monotonous, or that the lighter moments are overstaying their welcome. Their song writing has also matured to a point where all of the songs are allowed to breath and not feel cluttered, even when your eardrums are being assaulted by a crunchy 100km/h riff. Speaking of riffs, The Dream Calls For Blood is chock full of great, neck snapping riffs that flow really well. Your ability to hear all of these, as well as the tighter than tight drums and bass is due to a fantastic production job that is nice and clear. Sonically this is a great sounding album. Vocally Mark Osegueda has come to terms with the loss of his higher end and actually helps up the aggression with his delivery. It's nice to hear a thrash vocalist who hasn't joined the death growl bandwagon, and who doesn't pay homage to James Hetfield by copying his delivery.
As much as I enjoy The Dream Calls For Blood, it's not going to be mentioned in the same breath as Master Of Puppets or Reign In Blood. But, it is damn close to the quality of those releases and is a lot better than anything Metallica, Anthrax or Megadeth have released in some time.
If you can remember buying albums from the Big 4 upon release then you will love this. If you are coming to thrash now as a newbie, firstly welcome, then listen to The Dream Calls For Blood loud. Death Angel have produced an incredibly solid album full of more than enough to like for even the most jaded metal head. Thrash metal doesn't get a whole lot better than this.

The Living Infinite
The Living Infinite

4.0 out of 5 stars Soilwork Smash The Double Album Hoodoo Into Itty Bitty Pieces, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Living Infinite (Audio CD)
First off I have to be honest and tell you that I have purchased every Soilwork release, paid to see them in concert four times, and have three tour shirts in my extensive collection. I am most unashamedly a fan. Which is why this release had me worried for two reasons. One, the last time the band hit the studio without Peter Wichers it resulted in their weakest release, Sworn To A great Divide. And two, double albums have brought a lot of bands to their knees, exposing egos that can't cut the chaff, resulting in a lot of filler songs seeing the light of day.
Thankfully, Soilwork have proven to me with The Living Infinite that my fears were completely unfounded, and that they truly are at the top of the Swedish metal pile. Which is saying something when you stop and consider the amazing amount of quality that has come out of their homeland ever since we were blessed with At The Gates seminal Slaughter Of The Soul. The Living Infinite is a fantastic example of the Gothenburg sound, showcasing why this brand of music has grabbed so many fans world wide and why it's been so influential with other metal musicians.
The thing that grabbed me upon finishing my first listen to this twenty song collection, is how well constructed each and every song on The Living Infinite is. Showing a level of song writing maturity that few others have been able to obtain consistently over a double album release. When you add to this the amount of huge hooks, the choruses that worm their way into your brain, the level of musicianship, the excellent uncluttered production, and the European sensibility in their soloing, you have a double album that really needs to be in the collection of all discerning metalheads. Nine albums into a bands output it is unfortunately unusual to be this pleasantly surprised.
So, if I'm raving this much, why only four stars? Two reasons. The first is that if Amazon offered half star ratings I would have given this four and a half stars. The second being that as fantastic a vocalist as Speed Strid is (see them live people, the man is a force of nature who hits every last little bit perfectly), I'm still of the mind that some more aggression in his delivery would really take this band over the top.
Having said all that, The Living Infinite is a double album that I have been very happy to recommend to my circle of metal loving friends and to you. Buy it and revel in it. I sincerely believe that the reason that this release hasn't gotten a bigger buzz around it is that Soilwork have been around for as long as they have. If they were a newish act people would be shouting their praises all over the place. Add this to your collection and know that in a world with so much choice, you are in fact one of the smart, discerning ones who embrace quality over hype, smoke and mirrors.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2014 4:33 PM GMT

Labyrinth
Labyrinth

5.0 out of 5 stars Symphonic, bludgeoning, deathy goodness, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Labyrinth (Audio CD)
Fleshgod Apocalypses latest album is for all of you who wish Dimmu Borgir and Septicflesh were a little bit more full on. It's a absolute beast of an album in the way that all metal heads who have embraced the dark side require and expect. Labyrinth demands to be listened to in full from start to finish, turned up to eleven with your head stuck right into the speaker. It really grabs your attention quickly and refuses to let go. The production and mix are top notch allowing the listener to hear everything that's going on with ease. And it's a release that should crush the fears of all of you who have an aversion to the term Symphonic metal. Now to quickly address the criticisms of this album. Yes, the guitars aren't as forward in the mix as they have been previously. Yes, the orchestrations and clean female vocals have been given more prominence in the mix. Both of which shouldn't come as any surprise to long time listeners who have heard this coming from the bands beginning. Fleshgod have always been reaching for the balance between full on death metal and the hugeness of symphonic and choir music. It's such a fine line that has to be negotiated, when one false step can take you into the realm of cheese. And, it's a fine line that Fleshgod have managed to not step over. The buzz gathering around these Italian metal maniacs is well deserved. Get on board and embrace them. Albums like this are their own reward.

Opus Eponymous
Opus Eponymous

4.0 out of 5 stars Can Satan really be this melodic?, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: Opus Eponymous (Audio CD)
Ghost are what you would expect if Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple had a baby with overtly satanic lyrics. Intrigued? I know I was after seeing the Metal Hammer cover story on these guys. There's no way that a band should be able to be this melodic, concise and immediate. Occult rock shouldn't really be this easy to listen to. Yet it is. These Swedes have really got their stuff nailed down to the max. I just saw them at Soundwave festival in Australia. I was a fan after hearing the C.D. and after seeing the excellent show I'm now telling everyone I think might be remotely into them to go out and get this album quick smart. It's no where near as heavy as their image would have you think, and is soo well constructed. If Satan has tunes this good we all need to go to hell. The fact that Lee Dorian of Napalm Death and Cathedral fame should fall over himself to sign them to his label should say a lot to those in the know. These guys have a major fan in James Hetfield of Metallica fame. Are you really going to tell him he's wrong? I don't think so. Revel in the glory of Satan with Ghost. There are infinately worse things you can do.

Honor Found in Decay
Honor Found in Decay

2.0 out of 5 stars Are people reviewing this on Neurosis past efforts?, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: Honor Found in Decay (Audio CD)
Through Silver In Blood is one of the albums that I come back to when I start to lose faith in the way forward for Post Metal. It grabs me every time and makes me listen to it from start to finish. Which is why I think I must have missed the point with Honor Found In Decay. Both albums are by the same band, but this doesn't grab me as growth. It's been many years since I've looked forward to turning something up to eleven as much as I have this new effort by Neurosis. It's also been many years since something that has filled me with anticipation on this level has disappointed soo much. Mogadon music kind of covers how it left me feeling. I really wanted to love this album. I did. But, it just wasn't there. If you have heard about the seminal Neurosis and want to have a listen, don't start here. If you are someone who has dabbled with the band in the past and are looking to come back to the fold, don't do it with this album. If your a fan and have most or all of their stuff, you have probably already discounted what I have to say as the ravings of a musical plebe, and will buy it anyway. Honor Found In Decay is overrated. There I said it. Approach with caution.

DINOSAUR JR.-J. MASCIS THROBBLEHEAD
DINOSAUR JR.-J. MASCIS THROBBLEHEAD

5.0 out of 5 stars J never looked so good!, 17 Mar 2013
I got this for my lady. Dinosaur Jr. are her favorite band ever. It was her 40th birthday and finding this was the icing on the cake. It's made really well. Probably the best constructed bobblehead I've ever seen. A lot heavier than all the cheap plastic jobs. Paint job is excellent. The hair sets it off beautifully. Sort of kind to J in the figure department, but a little bit of artistic license goes a long way. Very solid base which is really stable. Don't really know what else to say, other than, if Dinosaur Jr. are your thing you just can't go wrong with this one. Seller packaged it up really well. Whole thing, including box, in excellent condition. Got to Australia fast and in one piece.

Rio Grande Blood
Rio Grande Blood

4.0 out of 5 stars Dubya was good for something!, 1 Nov 2012
This review is from: Rio Grande Blood (Audio CD)
After Ministry's peak in the late 80's and early 90's with a run of quality releases culminating in Psalm 69 they really lost it fast. Filth Pig was an album I desperately tried to like to no avail, and Dark Side Of the Spoon was a joke I could only bring myself to listen to once. Their apparent demise was met with an "oh well" and a shrug of the shoulders. Which is what makes this return for the band such a pleasant surprise.
Thank whatever god your into for George W Bush. He pissed Al off to a point that the anger and derision came bursting out of the man resulting in this little gem. Having followed Ministry since Twitch, I have to say this is the angriest I've heard Al to this point, and it makes for a great listen. It is the natural successor to Psalm 69 that we all hoped would turn up in 1996, with all of the benefits of improved production and studio advances that came in 10 years. It's wonderfully heavy, the samples sound better than they ever did, and the addition of Prongs Tommy Victor sees some well munty riffs smack you up the side of the head in just the way all metal heads truly love.
I came to Rio Grande Blood late, even though I had friends telling me in 2006 to grab this album and a beer and turn it up to 11. The quality on offer makes me wish that I had done so. This truly is an album for all of you who loved Ministry at their peak, and for anyone who wants to know what the hell all of the fuss was about. Rio Grande Blood will show you in no uncertain terms why this band is held in such high regard by many of today's big acts. I know I'm another comeback behind now, but, I can't wait to wrap my ears round The Last Sucker after hearing Rio Grande Blood. Try listening to the title track. You'll buy it too.